Author Topic: AC's art exhibition at the Neumann-Nierendorf Gallery 1931  (Read 3561 times)

Offline Merlin93

• Registered
AC's art exhibition at the Neumann-Nierendorf Gallery 1931
« on: March 01, 2010, 07:14:23 pm »
Greetings,

Does anyone know where I might find a list of the works AC exhibited in Berlin in 1931? Or even better, a copy of the catalogue (yeah I know - that has to be a longshot)!

93/93

Offline the_real_simon_iff

RE: AC
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 07:22:57 pm »
93!

Send me a P.M. with your email  adress and I send the catalogue to you. It's nice!

Love=Law
Lutz
"Jesus Christ had a lifetime of fame and success, three days of pain and disgrace, and ended up with St. Paul. Crowley had a lifetime of pain and disgrace, three days of Divine attention, and ended up with Mr. John Symonds. I know who I prefer." - A.D.

Offline teth

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 01:16:46 pm »
93 - The show was held at "Galerie Neumann-Nierendorf", Berlin W 35, Magdeburger Straße 5, a space usually used as a storage, and only occasionally for shows . The month before AC's show, there had been an exhebition of Dix, Grosz, Masereel, Scholz, Beckmann and Fuhr ("Die Welt von unten“, sept. 1931).

From the front page of the Catalog (all in caps.):
"Gallerie Neumann-Nierendorf Berlin W35
und Porza
Austellung
Aleister Crowley
[picture of AC with turban]
vom 11.Okotber
bis 5.November 1931"
in den Ausstellungsraumen der
Porza [address]"

Some titles of the works (p.6/7) were listed in German:

1-HP Blavatsky
2-Die Heilige Familie
3-Marie
4-Negerin
5-Suedostasien
6-Di Tore der Wueste
7-Im Mekong tal
8-Die Welt ein Opal
9-Montigny-sur-Loing
10-Montblanc
11-Tunis (ensemble)
12-El-Qued
13-Sonnenuntergang in der Wueste
14-Petersburg
15- An der Kueste Japans
16-Loewenjagd
17-
18-Elise Traum
19-The Maiden
20-Portrait of Leah Hirsig
21-Frundinnen
22-Ella Burgin und ihr Werk
23-Aldous Huxley
24-Schweitzermaedchen
25-Mein Traum
26-Leah Hirsig
27-Lea la Goulue
28-La Procoureuse
29-Camille (Lapache)
30-Norman Mudd
31-Anna
32-Erwartung
33-Papuanerin
34-Mali und Igel
35-Portrait
36-Gift
37-Karneval
38-Mann mit Zigarette
39-Skizze
40-The Poong-jye
41-Di Witwe
42-Fonatainebleau
43-Unschuld
44-Der kleine Alte
45-Odaliske
46-Fischerboot
47-Ladenmaedchen
48-Denkerin
49-Monna Lisa
50-Frau mit Eidechse
51-Renate Gottshed
52-Stromboli
53.Die Barke
54-Laura Brown
55-J.W.N. Sullivan
56-Maedchen in Sessel
57-Mulattenmaedchen
58-Radio City
59-Zigeunermaedchen
60-Sturn und Drang
61-Acherstrasse
62-Der Zwerg von Tuggurt
63-Die Huegel von Skye
64-Die Heilige Stadt der Sahara
65-Der rote Turban
66-Djerba
67-Timbuktu-Maedchen
68-Farbenskizze
69-Don Quixotes
70-Der Gletscher
71-Rhytmen
72-Intervalle
73-Wannsee

93, 93/93

Offline WilliamThirteen

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 12:36:49 am »
Are copies of this exhibition catalogue extant? or anything digital?
Do not prostitute thy daughter, to cause her to be a whore; lest the land fall to whoredom, and the land become full of wickedness. - Leviticus 19:29

Offline michaelclarke18

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 08:03:21 am »
I wonder where all those babies are now?
''The serpent, SATAN, is not the enemy of Man, but He who made Gods of our race, knowing Good and Evil''

Offline the_real_simon_iff

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 08:47:13 am »
Quote from: "WilliamThirteen"
Are copies of this exhibition catalogue extant? or anything digital?

93, William!

If you are still in Berlin, the

Kunstbibliothek Berlin
Kulturforum Potsdamer Platz
Matthäikirchplatz 6
10785 Berlin

has a copy of

Veröffentlichungen des Kunstarchivs, Nr.59
Galerie Neumann-Nierendorf - Berlin W35 und »Porza«
Ausstellung Aleister Crowley
vom 11. Oktober bis 5. November 1931

and you are free to look it up in the reading room and make digital copies for yourself. The Signatur (shelf mark) is

Signatur R-B 413 w kl-Bd. 54

and you should give them an hour to make the copy available. I also seem to remember that you have to carry a membership card of the Staatsbibliothek Berlin (which is a good thing to have anyway), but if you don't have one, you can obtain one directly at the Kunstbibliothek for free (I guess).

At least that's the way it was a few years ago.

I could also send you a PDF of the catalogue, but the original is way more fascinating. PMs are down at the moment but you can contact me at lutz@lutzlemke.de if you wish. I would certainly love to hear something about the fascinating Book Of Lies pictures from the galleries.

Love=Law
Lutz
"Jesus Christ had a lifetime of fame and success, three days of pain and disgrace, and ended up with St. Paul. Crowley had a lifetime of pain and disgrace, three days of Divine attention, and ended up with Mr. John Symonds. I know who I prefer." - A.D.

Offline WilliamThirteen

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 02:03:16 pm »
Hi Lutz,

Super! I was considering going to Nierendorf themselves to search for it - so thanks for the tip on the Kunstbibliothek.  I'll cycle down there this week and compel them to do my bidding with barbarous words (and a Golden Offering to pay for the copying)....

William
Do not prostitute thy daughter, to cause her to be a whore; lest the land fall to whoredom, and the land become full of wickedness. - Leviticus 19:29

Offline WilliamThirteen

Re: AC's art exhibition at the Neumann-Nierendorf Gallery 1931
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 05:28:06 pm »
here is a newspaper article on AC from the Berliner Tageblatt of 03.May.1930 mentioning the exhibition. Couldn't figure out where to find the galleries so i thought i might upload it here for the time being. The Berliner Tageblatt was a popular daily paper with all the usual big city gossip.  Crowley sits right atop the weather forecast and elsewhere on the page there are notices of bar fights, break ins, the fact that Berlin's beloved bank robbing Sass Brothers will remain in jail and the opening of new crocodile exhibition at the Zoo. 

Here's a rough translation:

Arriving in Berlin: Aleister Crowley

The fifty-five year old lingers by us for a moment to prepare for an exhibition of his paintings taking place this Autumn. Aleister Crowley is a painter from passion. He would have to be, since as an mountaineer he has seen moods of air & light never before accessible to human eyes. Crowley conquered all the summits of Mexico and afterwards undertook two attempts to subjugate the Himalayas. The last of his Himalayan expeditions took place in 1905. Crowley climbed to a height of 7000 meters before a mutiny forced him to turn back. He has set down his experiences as a mountaineer in a series of books, which along with his life confessions, adventures and poetry (Crowley also lived for a time as a Yogi) have just begun to appear in England. Crowley provided the leader of the just raised German Himalayan Expedition advice on climbing a specific glacier.  If the expedition follows his advice - said Crowley to his interviewer, they will reach the summit, otherwise they'll be ruined. "The Germans have excellent prospects with this adventure."

Crowley, the gentleman-bohemian, is a controversial phenomenon for the English public. Some see him as a revolutionary philosopher, others as a foolish artist. That this mountain climber, chess player, poet-philosopher & painter is one of the most remarkable characters, will be disputed by no one. To us he offers a cross between Karl May and Schopenhauer, perhaps he is much more, perhaps less. 

Online Michael Staley

• http://www.starfirepublishing.co.uk
Re: AC's art exhibition at the Neumann-Nierendorf Gallery 1931
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 06:06:10 pm »
Thanks, William. Interesting piece.
"It's all in the egg".