Author Topic: Betty May  (Read 8444 times)

Offline lashtal

• Administrator
  • Paul Feazey
    • LAShTAL.COM
Betty May
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2007, 02:52:22 am »
Paul Feazey
Owner & Editor
LAShTAL.COM

Offline lashtal

• Administrator
  • Paul Feazey
    • LAShTAL.COM
Betty May
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2007, 10:38:29 pm »
Thanks to Zixie for posting two extraordinary photographs of Betty May -- members can view them in the "Those That Followed..." Gallery.

Remarkable!
Paul Feazey
Owner & Editor
LAShTAL.COM

Offline Zixie

• Registered
Betty May
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2007, 10:53:14 pm »
Hello, I've just uploaded 2 new photos of Betty May. Hopefully they will show up soon.

She was born in Canning Town, London, no date given.

Her mother was half french.

Betty May stated her height was 5ft.

According to her autobiography "Tiger Woman" she had an extremely rough childhood in Canning Town, (around Tidal Basin) London.

During her first marriage she was a heavy user of cocaine

Raoul Loveday was her second husband. Raoul was a keen Egyptologyst and took Betty May to the British Museum to see a mummy of Princess Amen Ra.

Betty May and Loveday met at the Harlequin club in London. They married in Oxford, and then moved to London, living on the third floor of a building in Beak Street.

Betty May claimed she first met Crowley at the Cafe Royal in 1914, before she met Loveday.

"Tiger Woman" is a very interesting autobiography and I'd recommend it to anyone interested In Crowley, Loveday and Betty May.

Offline Zixie

• Registered
Betty May
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2007, 11:00:44 pm »
Quote from: "lashtal"
Thanks to Zixie for posting two extraordinary photographs of Betty May -- members can view them in the "Those That Followed..." Gallery.

Remarkable!

You're welcome!

Offline paperroute50

Betty May
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2007, 03:23:44 pm »
I have always been interested in Leah's life after she left Crowley. In Perdarabo, she is dropped from the book right at the point that she resigns from Crowley's fold. Also, she, in this bio, said to have died in 1951 but I think that it was clarrified that she died in 1975 (?) in Switzerland.

Also, what became of Nanette Shumway. We know she made it back to France but what details are there? (if any)

She was the 1 who held the Abbey at all costs for years after Crowley's expulsion and in Perderabo she is shown to be a woman of courage.

Of course, Thanks to the Redflame sit for the excellent 2 volume set on Jane Wolfe.

EricHech

Re: Betty May
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2013, 03:17:35 am »
Hello, I know I am resurrecting something quite old, but I was looking for some pictures of Betty May. There is one which is quite popular, but Zixie stated here that there are two more. Unfortunately, I can't find them, or any gallery named "Those That Followed...". Could someone help me out? Thanks.

Offline Azidonis

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2013, 04:19:50 am »
Hello, I know I am resurrecting something quite old, but I was looking for some pictures of Betty May. There is one which is quite popular, but Zixie stated here that there are two more. Unfortunately, I can't find them, or any gallery named "Those That Followed...". Could someone help me out? Thanks.

Holy thread necromancy, Batman!

I didn't realize I participated so much in this thread all those years ago. Nor did I realize that this was the thread that started the "Scarlet Women" sub-forum.

Eric, Lashtal.com has been practically overhauled since this thread was last active. The Gallery name "Those That Followed..." no longer exists, as you know.

I thought that maybe the People section of the Galleries would have a section for Betty May, but alas, it's no go. A quick Google search just shows the one common picture.

Maybe someone around here can/will help you out. Certainly, many here have such an ability.

Best of luck, and welcome to lashtal.com!
"Self-consciousness tells you you are somebody different. All spiritual activity is to maintain that separateness, and through that you think you will be free from that. Not a chance!" - U.G. Krishnamurti

Online michaelclarke18

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2013, 08:24:36 am »
Eric, Lashtal.com has been practically overhauled since this thread was last active. The Gallery name "Those That Followed..." no longer exists, as you know.

I thought that maybe the People section of the Galleries would have a section for Betty May, but alas, it's no go. A quick Google search just shows the one common picture.

Yes, that's quite confusing. Nothing of that seems to exist any longer.
''The serpent, SATAN, is not the enemy of Man, but He who made Gods of our race, knowing Good and Evil''

Offline OKontrair

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2013, 09:17:14 am »
I have located the Zixie photos and diverted them to the new galleries. They may show up with my name next to them but credit should still go to Zixie.

OK
"Give me an 'F'....."  Country Joe & the Fish

Online ptoner

• Fr Gishtil
    • Paul Toner dot Com
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2013, 09:25:59 am »
Some of you might be interested in a musical that is being produced about Betty May.
http://celinehispiche.wordpress.com/

EricHech

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2013, 03:16:19 pm »
Thank you everyone.

OK, I'm glad you still had them. Apologies but, I still can't seem to find them. I've looked under People as well as Last Added. Do you think that you could provide a link? Thanks.

Offline OKontrair

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2013, 04:37:55 pm »
Eric.

uploads have to be cleared by Paul. When that happens they will be on the front page half way down on the right as 'latest picture'. If anything goes wrong or if you're absolutely desparate we'll work out something different. Meanwhile - patience is a virtue.

OK
"Give me an 'F'....."  Country Joe & the Fish

EricHech

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2013, 05:07:13 pm »
Oh ok, thank you.

Offline fanadil

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2013, 10:09:00 pm »
There should now be four photos I posted last night. Search Galleries - People - Betty May. 
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Azidonis

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2013, 10:52:41 pm »
Thank you, OK and fanadil.

Am I correct in assuming that the first picture was taken around the time of the Abbey?
"Self-consciousness tells you you are somebody different. All spiritual activity is to maintain that separateness, and through that you think you will be free from that. Not a chance!" - U.G. Krishnamurti