Author Topic: Sherlock Holmes  (Read 2539 times)

Offline Caradoc

Sherlock Holmes
« on: January 03, 2005, 03:15:24 pm »
I just came across this book on the Barnes & Noble website whilst looking for Crowley.  I haven't read it and am not recommending it, just reporting the sighting...

Sherlock Holmes Mysteries, Vol. 2  

FROM THE PUBLISHER
Two tales of the great detective in one volume:

"Return of the Devil" - The many drug addicts of London have fallen victim to a poisonous supply of cocaine, trapping Sherlock Holmes himself within its deadly grip. The Great Detective is submerged in a world of nightmares where the evil Professor Moriarty still lives, and Holmes' dream of love with Irene Adler, "The Woman," seems to have become a reality. Holmes must do battle against his very soul, at last facing his most terrible enemy: himself.

"The Loch Ness Horror" - A sequel to "Return of the Devil." Lured out of retirement, Holmes is called upon by the Vatican to investigate the bizarre murder of a priest. He swiftly deduces that this is no ordinary crime, and that an immensely powerful holy relic has been stolen from the secret vaults. Aleister Crowley, the self proclaimed "Most Wicked Man in the World," casts his evil designs against all humanity in a mad scheme to arouse Doomsday. Meanwhile, Dr. Watson returns to Baskerville Hall, where something demonic is once again haunting the fog-shrouded moors.

Offline lashtal

• Administrator
  • Paul Feazey
    • LAShTAL.COM
Sherlock Holmes
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2005, 04:34:25 pm »
Thanks for that.

Sherlock Holmes being another interest of mine, I welcome his introduction to the Forums here.

According to the excellent Red Flame site, other Sherlock Holmes stories involving Aleister Crowley include:

The Case of the Philosopher's Ring by Dr John H Watson, unearthed by Randall Collins (NY: Crown Publishers 1978)  Hardback. - "It is the summer before the outbreak of World War I. Holmes, at his Baker Street flat, receives a telegram from the brilliant young philosopher, Bertrand Russell, begging him to come to Cambridge to investigate the theft of a uniquely precious treasure - the mind of Ludwig Wittgenstein. ... Holmes and Watson set out to investigate some of the West's greatest minds. But the trail plunges suddenly out of the abstract and into the blood and guts of occult murder, when Aleister Crowley, the high priest of post-Edwardian mysticism, enters the picture." This one often appears on eBay for auction.

Doctor Watson and The Invisible Man by Noel Downing (England: Ian Henry Publications 1991) Hardback. - "In 1897 H.G.Wells told the story of Griffin, the man who became invisible and then could not return to normal. When he died he left his notes at the public house that later bore his name. Then years later the journalist, Langdale Pike, calls at the Invisible Man, negotiates to buy the notebooks and goes to London to get the cash from his newspaper; before he can return to Sussex the landlord of the pub is murdered and the books stolen. Pike turns to his friend Doctor John Watson for help and, in the absence of Sherlock Holmes abroad, Watson applies Holmes' methods in tracking down a killer. The trail leads to a self styled magician, Aleister Crowley, and from him to another literary figure, Arthur Machen. Watson and Pike are involved in a number of incidents leading to the Imperial German Embassy and so to a house in Half Moon Street, where strange discoveries are made. Aided by Mycroft Holmes, Crowley and Scotland Yard, Watson can report success to Sherlock Holmes when the consulting detective return from the continent."

Sherlock Holmes Reader, The Loch Ness Horror written by Martin Powell, illustrations by Seppo Makinen  (England: Tome Press 1998) Comic Books.

The Case of the Scarlet Woman, Sherlock Holmes and the occult by Watkin Jones (London: Greenwich Exchange 1999) Paperback. - "A haunted house, a mysterious kidnapping and a poet's demonic visions are just the beginnings of three connected cases that lead Sherlock Holmes into confrontation with the infamous black magician Aleister Crowley and, more sinisterly, his scorned Scarlet Woman."

Paul
webmaster@lashtal.com
Paul Feazey
Owner & Editor
LAShTAL.COM

Offline Maledoro

Sherlock Holmes
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2005, 01:15:40 am »
Well, he was portrayed as a good guy at least once...

Offline lashtal

• Administrator
  • Paul Feazey
    • LAShTAL.COM
Sherlock Holmes
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2005, 02:05:41 am »
All,

I'm keen to see this thread develop - it's so much easier than doing my own research! - so I've renamed it from Sherlock Holmes Mysteries, Vol. 2.

And now, back to your normal programme...

Paul
webmaster@lashtal.com
Paul Feazey
Owner & Editor
LAShTAL.COM

tamsin_k

Sherlock Holmes
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2005, 04:36:44 pm »
Surely it's important to be clear that the Sherlock Holmes stories featuring Aleister Crowley aren't the originals, but later editions written by 'fan' authors rather than Conan Doyle himself.

I'm always interested in fictional representations of AC but prefer stuff from his actual lifespan.

Offline lashtal

• Administrator
  • Paul Feazey
    • LAShTAL.COM
Re: Sherlock Holmes
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2005, 05:50:10 pm »
Quote from: "tamsin_k"
Surely it's important to be clear that the Sherlock Holmes stories featuring Aleister Crowley aren't the originals, but later editions written by 'fan' authors rather than Conan Doyle himself.

That's true, of course.

It's a testament to the power and reasonance of the character that so many works have been created outside Conan Doyle's corpus.

Paul
Paul Feazey
Owner & Editor
LAShTAL.COM