Author Topic: Sephirahs as images.  (Read 5161 times)

Offline wolfangel

• Skull Capped
Sephirahs as images.
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2009, 10:44:30 pm »
Since the map is an abstract awareness of relationships and the interactions of interchangeable patterns, would it not be possible to divide the awareness and multi task all the roots mentioned in the metaphor at the same time, thinking about it and breaking the egoic form down into many id's it may be possible. Not as awareness shifting, but as awareness becoming the entire structure. All seeing eyes as opposed to one giant eye that is all seeing. (more theory than that much practice thou)

Offline mika

Sephirahs as images.
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2009, 11:27:50 pm »
Quote from: wolfangel
But perhaps 3 dimensional attributions that also contain the notion of time, another variable often left out of the conception of the tree

Time is most certainly not left out of the conception of the tree.  Time is an inherent part of the tree, as represented by the astrological 'wheel of the year', the planetary days of the week, and as represented by geburah, where the 'formation' of chesed is subjected to the concept of change (time) during the process of creation from kether to malkuth.

You may want to review the Sefer Yetzirah
http://www.holyebooks.org/judaism/sepher_yetzirah.html
http://www.psyche.com/psyche/txt/kaplan_sy_short.html

from http://www.wbenjamin.org/saadia.html
"The author of our book [the SY] intends to show us how the existence of beings is realized. When the wise grasped this knowledge, they discovered the ten and only ten categories which reason can use to order all things: substance, quantity, quality, relation, space, time, possession, position, action, and passivity. "

from http://www.inner.org/hebleter/letterof.htm
"Each letter of these three categories relates (in one-to-one correspondence) to an individual element in each of the three general dimensions of created reality: space, time, living soul"

As a map i feel it suffers from a 2dimensional restriction and a seemingly linear story of temporal progress. Its also part of the problem in attributing static images, abstracts and other symbols. The idea that the map tries to imply a permanency becomes very apparent.

Yes, a 2-D image can be restrictive, particularly if you confuse the map with the territory.  But the tree of life says as little about personal temporal progress as a street map.  Any implication of permanency, linearity or temporal progress comes from your own interpretation, not from the map itself.  Your understanding of the tree seems to be based on wrong assumptions or faulty information.

Since the map is an abstract awareness of relationships and the interactions of interchangeable patterns

The map is not "an abstract awareness", it is an abstract representation.  The awareness comes from you.  You can look at the map as a whole, you can break it down, you can use it however you will.  Whether or not those approaches provide you with useful insights is a different story.

Offline wolfangel

• Skull Capped
Sephirahs as images.
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2009, 07:43:46 pm »
Time is most certainly not left out of the conception of the tree.  Time is an inherent part of the tree, as represented by the astrological 'wheel of the year', the planetary days of the week, and as represented by geburah, where the 'formation' of chesed is subjected to the concept of change (time) during the process of creation from kether to malkuth.

My main criticism being it is linear as a temporal conception, fused with the cyclic notion which is characteristic of christian thinking and other cultures, but is not in line with the many modern theories of time.

"Each letter of these three categories relates (in one-to-one correspondence) to an individual element in each of the three general dimensions of created reality: space, time, living soul"

How would you personally relate to the idea of living information and the tree as a network of nodes.

Yes, a 2-D image can be restrictive, particularly if you confuse the map with the territory.  But the tree of life says as little about personal temporal progress as a street map.  Any implication of permanency, linearity or temporal progress comes from your own interpretation, not from the map itself.  Your understanding of the tree seems to be based on wrong assumptions or faulty information.

My main problem here is the root in essentialist philosophies.

The map is not "an abstract awareness", it is an abstract representation.  The awareness comes from you.  You can look at the map as a whole, you can break it down, you can use it however you will.  Whether or not those approaches provide you with useful insights is a different story.

Perhaps you are missing the point i am was trying to make here, we are the map, there is no separate observer, it is an improbable position to hold without being entangled in perception.

Offline wolfangel

• Skull Capped
Sephirahs as images.
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2009, 08:08:53 pm »
Let me present another example of where i approach from, in  christian cosmology their is this idea of there being a realm above and below, but from the view point of actually living on the earth their is the view point of around and within, the latter is more accurate to my perceptions, sensory and abstract. The notion of above and below offers a very false perception to the physical surroundings.

It is not a game of semantics, but imo a more accurate position to define characteristics from through the use of language.

The Q(k)(C)abalah seems to be rooted in a pre scientific cosmology, would it not help to make it a little more culturally pertinent to start its representations from these perspectives, grounded not so much in traditional conceptions or the authority of text's, but accurate personal observation and experimentation in its claimed representation as a map of cosmological principles. If the texts and traditions lead to that experimentation so much the better, but if they start to limit the philosophical approach, the autonomy of the interaction, their i see a problem with dogmatically implied limitations.

You perhaps could contrast two extremes as being 'this is the image of god' to ' a convenient filing cabinet of representations' not that the tree cannot be both of these.

Offline MICTLANTECUHTLE

Re: RE: Re: RE: Sephirahs as images.
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2009, 04:01:58 pm »
Quote from: "Iskandar"
Oh sure Erwin, but I did not raise the issue of 'gender imbalance' as a gesture of political correctness. I mostly meant it literally: if you put on one side a woman, why not put on the other a man but rather a hermaphrodite?

Maybe there is no such thing as pure male. It might go back to the idea od a woman being taken from a man in the Adam and Eve story. Man in that case contains the female within his body but the female is just female.