Author Topic: "Red Equinox"  (Read 1843 times)

Offline Mazus

"Red Equinox"
« on: May 24, 2013, 06:23:33 am »
Hi all
If this had been raised at some time in the past I apologise.  I tried a search but couldn't find anything relevant.  I am thinking of buying a complete of the the "Red Equinox" set published by Mandrake & Holmes in the 90s I think.  It looks like a rather plush full leather gilt set in slip case.  It is all ten volumes of the Equinox plus the "blue Equinox".  It is all bound together in six volumes rather than the 11 or 12 that it would be otherwise.  I am just wondering if anybody has seen one of these sets and can advise how well these obviously thicker six volumes hold together as I would intend to use them, not let them just sit there.  I know that the two volume set that was published had problems falling apart.  I'm wondering if these have similar problems.

Can anybody help me with some insight along these lines?

I couldn't really figure out where to post this so I figured under 'wanted' may be ok. 

A big thanks to anybody who can help.

93  93/93

B

Offline michaelclarke18

Re: "Red Equinox"
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 11:00:14 am »
I occasionally see the odd volume from this set - but they tend to be very expensive. Keep looking on ebay and the Weiser website.
''The serpent, SATAN, is not the enemy of Man, but He who made Gods of our race, knowing Good and Evil''

Offline terra_trema

• HOOR-Thelema.de
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 11:48:14 am »
I own the paperback edition, and they hold up nicely. I guess the hardback edition will be even better.

Offline jamie barter

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 12:58:09 pm »
I thought when I saw this that it referred to the slim red hardback called “The Equinox Volume VII No 1” as put out by Ray Eales, etc, a few years back, and known informally by this name (cf. “The Blue Equinox”, Volume III No.1).  But it is apparently not the same!

I hope this “omnibus” volume holds up to the strain of repeated referrals ( I’m sure it would look  perfectly lovely in splendour on a bookshelf though – unconsulted.)

Give me a blue, give me a red, give me a …
Norman N. Joy Conquest.
Joy [= l0l] : The Egg of Spirit in equilibrium between the Pillars of the Temple - “For when all is equilibriated, when all is beheld from without all, there is joy, joy, joy that is but one facet of a diamond, every other facet whereof is more joyful than joy itself.”  Chapter 12, The Book Of Lies

Offline Marlene Cornelius

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 06:09:11 pm »
I love my Mandrake set... I use it all the time and prefer it over my Weiser 1980's or 1990's set ;>

Mandrake is a full reproduction of the original printing by Ac - including all the ads and whatnot. Quite the best aside from the originals and those are waaayyyy too expensive for me ;>

Offline lashtal

• Administrator
  • Paul Feazey
    • LAShTAL.COM
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 09:38:34 pm »
Paul Feazey
Owner & Editor
LAShTAL.COM

Offline fama_fraternitatis

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 11:00:11 am »
There is a set available online from Germany, but it is around £1500 pounds - found on vialibri.com

Offline obscuruspaintus

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 05:44:48 pm »
For what it's worth, not the red but the black buckram edition, which I find to be without fault. I looked at a set of the red leather bound but just could not come to terms with $2,000.00 plus price tag. I was easily convinced that I like the black better and do prefer them over the Weiser sets. They are well made and are holding up just fine.
Just another point of view...

Obscurus by choice.

Offline Mazus

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2013, 08:48:14 pm »
Thank you everybody for your input.  It seems that there are no reported problems with these holding together which is just what one would hope for given the price tag.  It is certainly an investment which I don't mind if its the goods.

Again, thanks to those who took the time to reply and post pics.  Its a great help and I thank you.

Offline Mykaljon

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2013, 09:25:18 pm »

Offline obscuruspaintus

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2013, 02:33:09 pm »
Mazus, you're welcome.
And as a further testament to the black set. I had lent them out twice here locally. The last time I hadn't seen them in more than a year. When they were returned they had gained color prints of most of the illustrations tucked inside. What more could one ask of a set of books? They gain in content plus can find their way back home...not to mention the fact that they are occasionally capable of tripping the light of internal illumination? They have been well read and are as tight and bright as the day I first got them.
I'll stop now as I'm starting to sound like a book-hawker.
Obscurus by choice.

Offline abn53

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2013, 05:54:08 am »
What is special about this edition is that the title page precedes the facsimile of the
original title page. The Weiser editions change the publication data on the original
title pages. Also, the facsimile of the manuscript is the foldout page with the original
presentation of the pages in "stamp-size". Weiser reprints use a reduced size
facsimile from the Equinox of the Gods.

Offline Perurabo

• Registered
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2013, 11:32:23 am »
I have a personal copy of this (numbered 15) for private sale at the moment and an internet search brought me to this page. However, I am unsure of the forum rules applied to the selling of items so before I post details, could someone please advise me as how to proceed?

Offline lashtal

• Administrator
  • Paul Feazey
    • LAShTAL.COM
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2013, 11:40:22 am »
I have a personal copy of this (numbered 15) for private sale at the moment and an internet search brought me to this page. However, I am unsure of the forum rules applied to the selling of items so before I post details, could someone please advise me as how to proceed?

The Guidelines (see the link at the top of this page: 'Compliance with the Guidelines is a requirement of participation in these Forums') are clear:

In order to reinforce the site's impartiality, no advertising is accepted on the site except where the product mentioned is likely to be of genuine interest to other members and visitors. Such advertisements may only be posted in the For Sale forum and not as News comments, Forum post signatures, etc. [...] You must not use the site to draw attention to Auctions: submissions relating to Auctions will be deleted except where they are intended solely for the raising of funds intended exclusively for LAShTAL.COM. Members WILL NOT use the Private Messaging or integrated emailing systems for advertising purposes.

In short - feel free to post fixed price 'For Sale' notices in the appropriate Forum. The key here is: No eBay auctions!
Paul Feazey
Owner & Editor
LAShTAL.COM

Offline Perurabo

• Registered
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2013, 03:50:11 pm »

The Guidelines (see the link at the top of this page: 'Compliance with the Guidelines is a requirement of participation in these Forums') are clear:

In order to reinforce the site's impartiality, no advertising is accepted on the site except where the product mentioned is likely to be of genuine interest to other members and visitors. Such advertisements may only be posted in the For Sale forum and not as News comments, Forum post signatures, etc. [...] You must not use the site to draw attention to Auctions: submissions relating to Auctions will be deleted except where they are intended solely for the raising of funds intended exclusively for LAShTAL.COM. Members WILL NOT use the Private Messaging or integrated emailing systems for advertising purposes.

In short - feel free to post fixed price 'For Sale' notices in the appropriate Forum. The key here is: No eBay auctions!

Thankyou. Just one more question. Should I post the details in this thread or create a new one? This will be a private sale on this forum only and will not be advertised anywhere else. I will post the details with images as soon as possible.