You’ll be aware that I’ve received complaints from visitors that Keith Richmond’s excellent Progradior books have been difficult to obtain in the UK.
An email from Ben Fernee of the wonderful Caduceus Books mentions that he is now in a position to provide the two volumes.
If you read the review I wrote here you’ll know why I’m really pleased to know that they’re more readily available…
28 Darley Road
Private premises, visitors welcome by appointment
Tel. 01455 250542 (+44 1455 250542 from abroad) Fax. 0870 0552982 (+44 870 0552982 from abroad) Webpages http://www.caduceusbooks.com
Two Important Books In Stock Now
1) Keith Richmond, Progradior and the Beast, Frank Bennett and Aleister Crowley, Neptune Press, 316pp Illustrated. Bennett was one of Crowleys most important followers and has been cited as one of the success stories of the Thelemic system of personal development. This work explores his life and his relationship with Crowley. In the process it gives an illuminating account of the operation of the AA and the OTO under Crowley from the earliest of times, Bennett having first contacted Crowley following the publication of the first number of the Equinox in April 1909. Bennett emigrated to Australia and established the OTO and AA there. This account of the international operation of the early O.T.O. is enlightening. The police raid on the OTO in London is described as is the use of drugs by early OTO members in Australia. In 1920 Bennett travelled to Cefalu where he came to be regarded as Crowley’s star pupil, being recognised by Crowley as an Adeptus Minor and initiated into the IXth degree of the OTO. He returned to Australia where his commitment to Thelema fractured his family and led to press scandals. Gradually he drifted away from Crowley, alienated by the Beast’s demands. However, his interest in magic continued unabated. He lived a quite lifestyle which allowed him to explore magical work, working with spirits and entities. It would appear that he had achieved some state of wisdom. However, he warned a friend that she would not see him for a awhile as had to undergo a dangerous experiment requiring him to overcome certain supernatural beings. In fact, she never saw him again, as he died, apparently of some form of heart attack
This is a work of true scholarship, assiduously researched and also very well written. The author is sympathetic yet sensible. This is a major work, of us to anyone with and interest in Thelema and occultism. By concentrating a searchlight upon one aspect of Thelemic history, the nature of the whole tradition is illuminated
The dustwrapper carries an image of a portrait by Crowley of Bennett as a Neophyte of the AA performing a ritual at Cefalu. This is one of Crowley’s most striking paintings and is reproduced to a very high standard in colour without the imposition of any text. The decorated endpapers carry a coloured reproduction of “At Play on the Cefalu Foreshore”, another painting by Crowley, also dated 1921.
The price of this book (Order No. PROG1) is UK Pounds 42.50 plus postage as follows (in UK Pounds):-
Europe Airmail 4.26
Rest of the World Airmail 8.09
Frank Bennett, The Magical Record of Frater Progradior and Other Writings, Introduced and Edited by Keith Richmond, Neptune Press 176pp. A concise and cogent 18pp introduction summarises the magical career of Frater Progradior (Frank Bennett). This book presents:-
“An Astral Journey” a short story which Bennett published in 1923 ascribing authorship to “Progradior”. Set in Lancashire in 1910 it may be, to some extent autobiographical and has Thelemic references.
Magical Record of a Retirement carried out at Cefalu
Description of a Magical Ritual at Abbey of Thelema, Cefalu
Spiritual Experience of Frater Progradior
Progradior In Hell (magical diary describing some of the spiritual ordeals he experienced at Cefalu.
There are then some further small pieces before two publications by Bennett are reproduced:-
Publication for Probationers
Francis Bacon, His Connection with the Rosicrucian and Masonic Societies.
Finally Liber Samekh by Aleister Crowley is reproduced as this was of immense importance to Progradior’s magickal training.
The price of this book (Order No. PROG2) is UK Pounds 30.00 plus postage as follows (in UK Pounds):-
Europe Airmail 2.91
Rest of the World Airmail 5.39
If both books are ordered they will be sent insured and I will pay the insurance
1) TERMS AND PAYMENT METHODS:-
CADUCEUS BOOKS sells secondhand books on magick, occultism, witchcraft, esoteric traditions & allied subjects. Books on these subjects are also bought. VISITORS are very welcome by appointment; please get in contact for directions. TERMS All books offered subject to being unsold. Prices do not include postage which is charged extra at cost. Please telephone, write, fax or email your order, I can then let you know how much the postage will be. If you receive no response then that item has already sold
1) Credit card (Mastercard, Access or Visa) or Debit Card (Switch or Solo). If you have already ordered before I may have a record of your details. For security reasons some people like to send their number in the following ways:–
a) by fax
b) telephone (there is an answering machine to which only I have access when I am not here)
c) divide it into two and send it in two separate email messages.
d) encode it. I would suggest leaving the first four digits unchanged but for the remaining digits add 3 to each digit (ie 1 becomes 4, 7 becomes 0, 9 becomes 2 etc) leaving the expiry date unchanged.
This arrangement can be referred to as “YOUR CODE”
2) International Money Order made out in British Currency
3) Cheques made payable to Caduceus Books in foreign currency. Please use current exchange rate and add equivalent of GBP 10.00 for transaction.
4) Foreign cash small amounts please send securely, large amounts please send by registered post.
5) Direct transfer to my bank from a bank in your country. My bank details as follows:- Caduceus Books, Lloyds Bank, 2 Pavement,York,YO1 2NE.
Swift Code LOYDGB2L
Branch Identification Code LOYDGB21225
International Bank Account Number (I.B.A.N.)
Sort code (or Routing Number) 30-99-99
Account number 1126431
6) Cheque in British currency made out to Caduceus Books
7) Payment through PayPal at www.paypal.com, my user name is my email address:- firstname.lastname@example.org
8) Postal Orders in UK currency only