Notifications

Mummy returns: Voice of 3,000-year-old Egyptian priest brought to life  

RSS

christibrany
(@christibrany)
27/01/2020 10:24 pm  

Pretty weird and interesting idea:

'Scientists have fulfilled a mummified Egyptian priest's wish for life after death - by replicating his voice with artificial vocal cords.

Nesyamun's voice has been reproduced as a vowel-like sound that is reminiscent of a sheep's bleat.

The priest lived during the politically volatile reign of Pharaoh Ramses XI, between 1099 and 1069BC.'

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-51223828

Ba Ram..ses 

The HGA of a Duck
(@duck)
27/01/2020 11:02 pm  

Very interesting. In my old age I have begun to find some of scientists' explanations almost "quaint" and "cute". They think they are making these discoveries about "ordinary", "solid" and "separate" things, by being highly "scientific" and "academic" (nothing wrong with this of course, its how things seem to get done). From another perspective this is just the Pharaoh's afterlife world bleeding into ours.

ReplyQuote
Alan_OBrien
(@alan_obrien)
02/02/2020 8:08 am  

I am probably being a bit dense, but if scientists recreated the larynx and speech centre, why could they only make one slightly comical noise issue forth from it? I'd like to have heard a sentence.

ReplyQuote
The HGA of a Duck
(@duck)
03/02/2020 2:05 am  

@alan_obrien

I'm guessing they haven't built the mouth and tongue yet, which I guess will be quite tricky. They could of course simulate the whole thing in a computer without having to build anything and get the same results.

ReplyQuote
Shiva
(@shiva)
03/02/2020 5:27 am  
Posted by: @alan_obrien

why could they only make one slightly comical noise issue forth from it?

They either thought they had restored the larynx and speech center, or they lied (having merely agitated some cells with electricity or chi), or this is just another "major breakthrough" being hyped when it's actually a breakdown.

Posted by: @duck

They could of course simulate the whole thing in a computer without having to build anything and get the same results.

That would be interesting, even if Borgian. i wonder if mum will speak English or Ancient Khemian, or what?

ReplyQuote
Share: