Notifications
Clear all

Crowley in Verrières, November 7, 1903  

RSS

belmurru
(@belmurru)
06/11/2014 6:49 pm  

Aleister and Rose left for a delayed honeymoon trip in early November, 1903, which was to be “a long beautiful objectless journey”, as Crowley puts it (Confessions p. 371). After “a day or two in Paris”, where they encountered Soror Vestigia (Moina Mathers), they “swooped down on Marseilles, perched on the terrace of Bertollini’s at Naples and picked up a few crumbs”, and then steamed on to Cairo where, we will remember, he arranged to spend the night in the King’s Chamber of the Great Pyramid on Sunday, November 22nd (authority for date is Crowley’s diary entry, quoted in the Editor’s introduction to Magick (1998), p. xxxvi).

However, he neglects to mention that, on leaving Paris, they went by way of Verrières, on the French-Swiss border, for an overnight stay at the family property of Jules Jacot Guillarmod, who had been on the K2 expedition with Crowley and Oscar Eckenstein the year before. This visit was on November 7-8, and pictures remain. Charlie Buffet published two of them in his recent book Jules Jacot Guillarmod: Pionnier du K2 (Slatkine, 2012). Note that Buffet is hostile to Crowley, quoting Jacot-Guillarmod's diary entries that could be read as disparaging to Crowley wherever possible. 

“The Time of Friendship.
“On November 7, 1903, Jules Jacot Guillarmod welcomed Aleister Crowley at Verrières, the family property in the Jura [Swiss Jura]. He was engaged, putting the final touches on his book [Six mois dans l’Himalaya (1904)], offered a Verascope [stereoscopic camera] to Crowley, and found him ‘rather greedy.’
“Crowley left the next day for a honeymoon trip around the world, a voyage in the course of which he would claim to have had the revelation, in Cairo, of his ‘Book of the Law.’”

AbulDiz
(@abuldiz)
06/11/2014 7:13 pm  

Thanks for that! Nothing quite like the excitement of seeing new pictures of Crowley, got any more stashed away?

ReplyQuote
lashtal
(@lashtal)
Owner and Editor Admin
06/11/2014 10:22 pm  

Wonderful!

Owner and Editor
LAShTAL

ReplyQuote
wellreadwellbred
(@wellreadwellbred)
06/11/2014 10:33 pm  

Nice belmurru! Thank you for the pictures and the translations.

ReplyQuote
belmurru
(@belmurru)
06/11/2014 11:07 pm  
"lashtal" wrote:
Wonderful!
"wellreadwellbred" wrote:
Nice belmurru! Thank you for the pictures and the translations.

It's a pleasure to share them. Today seemed the appropriate day for those ones, as the anniversary of Lilith's death (May 1, 1906) was appropriate for that one.

I suspect there are many more among Jacot-Guillarmod's photos.

ReplyQuote
belmurru
(@belmurru)
06/11/2014 11:15 pm  
"AbulDiz" wrote:
Thanks for that! Nothing quite like the excitement of seeing new pictures of Crowley, got any more stashed away?

Here's one from the sulphur springs near Askole, on the return trip from K2, August 19, 1902. Guillarmod's diary is very precise for this day, saying they arrived at the springs at 5:15 p.m., and Crowley had arrived a half hour earlier, and was already in the spring.

The same poncho he is wearing in the well-known horseback (or poney, really) picture, when they were descending via the Deosai plain, is laid out on the rock, drying no doubt, as Guillarmod explains it rained periodically. Either that, or he washed it in the spring and was drying it.

ReplyQuote
William Thirteen
(@williamthirteen)
06/11/2014 11:32 pm  

is that a camera upon the rock in the foreground?

ReplyQuote
belmurru
(@belmurru)
06/11/2014 11:34 pm  

BTW, these springs are still there - hikers and moutain climbers sometimes post pictures of themselves in them. I've collected a few.

I think they can be seen on Google Earth, compared to the map Jacot-Guillarmod made (republished by Crowley in the first edition of the Confessions).

ReplyQuote
belmurru
(@belmurru)
06/11/2014 11:35 pm  
"WilliamThirteen" wrote:
is that a camera upon the rock in the foreground?

That's the case. Jacot-Guillarmod's shadow can also be seen in the bottom right corner.

ReplyQuote
newneubergOuch2
(@newneubergouch2)
07/11/2014 12:11 am  

Great!

ReplyQuote
Horemakhet
(@horemakhet)
07/11/2014 9:13 pm  

Such fantastic photo's, & thanks for sharing them, belmurru! I'm still fascinated by how many different "looks" AC could command. A journey through his life in photos is an often bewildering & always entertaining experience. The shot of Crowley bathing tricked my eye at first. "Where is he?!"- he blends in with the rocks so well, & the perspective of his body is distorted through the water. What style of dress is the baggy trousers with knee-high socks in a sloping one-color suit which he is wearing? I was thinking Scottish highlands, but it could be Swiss...Any ideas?

ReplyQuote
OKontrair
(@okontrair)
07/11/2014 9:24 pm  
"Horemakhet" wrote:
What style of dress is the baggy trousers with knee-high socks in a sloping one-color suit which he is wearing? I was thinking Scottish highlands, but it could be Swiss...Any ideas?

They are called "plus fours"; you can still get them.

OK

ReplyQuote
Horemakhet
(@horemakhet)
07/11/2014 9:32 pm  
"OKontrair" wrote:
"Horemakhet" wrote:
What style of dress is the baggy trousers with knee-high socks in a sloping one-color suit which he is wearing? I was thinking Scottish highlands, but it could be Swiss...Any ideas?

They are called "plus fours"; you can still get them.

OK

"plus fours" sounds familiar. I will look into it. Thanks for the quick answer, OK.

ReplyQuote
belmurru
(@belmurru)
07/11/2014 10:16 pm  

I'd describe them more as knickerbockers than plus fours, but the line between them may be fuzzy.

ReplyQuote
OKontrair
(@okontrair)
07/11/2014 10:32 pm  

On reflection I think you're probably right.

ReplyQuote
Share: