Notifications
Clear all

link to my article, Victim of the Beast 666:The Investigatio  

RSS

Anonymous
01/02/2007 12:05 am  

Hi--I have published an article that may be of some interest to some of you. I am also looking for any esoteric information about Crowley's travels in the US. Thanks!

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/129837/victim_of_the_beast_666_the_investigation.htm l"> http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/129837/victim_of_the_beast_666_the_investigation.html

Anonymous
01/02/2007 12:27 pm  

Hi,

I don't know of any connection between Aleister Crowley and Lily Edith Grey and neither can I find any definite connection between him and Salt Lake City. The city is mentioned twice in Aleister's Confessions... but neither is really promising. Perhaps of most interest might be the first mention...

"From this time I lived in a perfect shower of diplomas, from Bucharest to Salt Lake City. I possess more exalted titles than I have ever been able to count. I am supposed to know more secret signs, tokens, passwords, grand-words, grips and so on, than I could actually learn in a dozen lives. An elephant would break down under the insignia I am entitled to wear."

So it seems, if I'm reading this correctly, that there was some form of occult group based in Salt Lake City which conferred a title on Crowley. Whether or not this has any connection with your subject is a matter for further investigation, but at the least it is a new line of enquiry for you.

Sorry I couldn't be of much real help. Your article is interesting though and I'll be following its development whether it really includes Crowley or not. Good luck with it.

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous
01/02/2007 12:43 pm  

oh, and one other minor thing....

You wanted a numerological association for her birth year with the number 666. Before I type this out I want to make it clear I don't put much faith in this sort of thing but only add it for simple interest...

a common practice is to add the digits in a long number. In the case of the year 1881 the digits total 18, which is 3x6. Of course the number 1881 is composed of two 18s, the second being a mirror image of the first, so you have 3 ways of finding 3x6.

I don't suppose that means anything but I thought it might be of slight interest in the context of your article and the statement, "I think it would be plausible to conclude the inscription was a pun or reference to feeling a victim of being born in connection with that notorious number."

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous
08/03/2007 6:30 pm  

Hi--thanks for your responses. I have since learned that Crowley's referral to much of his masonic regalia was in context of his involvement-by-association with the Salt Lake City based Thompson scandal, which was a sort of masonic degree diploma mill. I have seen the references to salt lake in confessions, as you have pointed out, and as has been pointed out, there doesn;t seem to be any (at least commonly available) discourse on a beastly visit. I have however, found that Israel Regardie lived for a short time here, and studied with Frater Albertus (Reidel) at Salt Lake City's now-defunt Paraclesus Research Society. It is a small and dubious connection to Crowley, but is an intriguing story, nonetheless. Does anyone know if a list of Abbey of Thelema disciples is in existence? Thanks again for your replies.

ReplyQuote
Share: