Notifications
Clear all

Image - Rare photo of Aleister Crowley conducting the Rite of Saturn, 1910  

RSS

ptoner
(@ptoner)
10/08/2012 9:07 am  

Did not see it in the galleries so decided to link it here for anyone who is interested.

http://matheno.tumblr.com/post/28045443261/coitusandcarnage-rare-photo-of-aleister-crowley

michaelclarke18
(@michaelclarke18)
10/08/2012 9:27 am  

Not sure it is that rare.

On another note, it's always been my belief that Victor Neuburg is kneeling on the far left.

ReplyQuote
ptoner
(@ptoner)
10/08/2012 9:44 am  

That was my initial thought also Michael, VN.

ReplyQuote
Michael Staley
(@michael-staley)
MANIO - it's all in the egg
10/08/2012 11:00 am  

I recall this as a plate in one of the Francis King books, Ritual Magic in England, 1887 to the Present Day I think.

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous
10/08/2012 2:22 pm  

I think it was on the cover of Francis King's 'The Magical World of Aleister Crowley' too  🙂

ReplyQuote
Bedazzled
(@bedazzled)
10/08/2012 3:09 pm  

It also appears in 'The Rites of Eleusis' Mandrake Press 1990.  Other pictures of The Rites also appear there.

ReplyQuote
Shiva
(@shiva)
Not a Rajah
10/08/2012 5:10 pm  

There is an interesting cycle at work within the initiatory current. It usually starts with Secrecy, then evolves to Revelation, only to involve (or revolve) back into Silence - a form of Secrecy. In Crowley's case, the secrecy of the Golden Dawn gave way to not only the publication of the "secrets" in The Equinox, but also in the publick performance of the "Mysteries."

This photo, wherever it is stored, or whomsoever used it, represents the "high water mark" of the Revelation phase of the game.

Just imagine!   This was a public performance of dramatic, ceremonial magic - with a bucketful of soaked peyote-infused liquid that "smelled bad" but to which bucket the audience was directed with an invitatation to drink. This is perhaps the ultimate archetypal image of "the spiked punchbowl," a most useful instrument at times in relation to group consciousness.

The North American native tribes aso use a "boiled in the bucket" peyote broth - in addition to chewing "buttons" (slices). The fact that a bucket was used by AC seems to indicate a timeframe wherein the extracted mescaline was not yet easily available.

ReplyQuote
michaelclarke18
(@michaelclarke18)
10/08/2012 5:59 pm  

Why aren't I invited to performances which involve '' a bucketful of soaked peyote-infused liquid that "smelled bad" but to which bucket the audience was directed with an invitatation to drink''?

ReplyQuote
belmurru
(@belmurru)
10/08/2012 6:04 pm  
"Shiva" wrote:
There is an interesting cycle at work within the initiatory current. It usually starts with Secrecy, then evolves to Revelation, only to involve (or revolve) back into Silence - a form of Secrecy. In Crowley's case, the secrecy of the Golden Dawn gave way to not only the publication of the "secrets" in The Equinox, but also in the publick performance of the "Mysteries."

This photo, wherever it is stored, or whomsoever used it, represents the "high water mark" of the Revelation phase of the game.

Just imagine!   This was a public performance of dramatic, ceremonial magic - with a bucketful of soaked peyote-infused liquid that "smelled bad" but to which bucket the audience was directed with an invitatation to drink. This is perhaps the ultimate archetypal image of "the spiked punchbowl," a most useful instrument at times in relation to group consciousness.

The North American native tribes aso use a "boiled in the bucket" peyote broth - in addition to chewing "buttons" (slices). The fact that a bucket was used by AC seems to indicate a timeframe wherein the extracted mescaline was not yet easily available.

Like the good old days with the Electric Koolaid Acid Test parties. "Leave no turn unstoned".

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous
10/08/2012 6:41 pm  

From what I've read there was more than just mescaline in the bucket!

Ah, The Electric Kool Aid Acid Test, what amazing events to have been able to participate in, I imagine.  They seem, to me, to have pioneered what later would become the modern rave.  What with the visuals, experimental electronic sounds, and copious amounts psychedelics.  The Electric Kool Aid Acid Test is also a very good book. For those of you out there who are fans of Ken Kesey, like myself, "The Movie" has finally been edited and released as "Magic Trip" There is also other footage and recordings available.

http://www.key-z.com/

ReplyQuote
Azidonis
(@azidonis)
10/08/2012 10:15 pm  
"michaelclarke18" wrote:
Why aren't I invited to performances which involve '' a bucketful of soaked peyote-infused liquid that "smelled bad" but to which bucket the audience was directed with an invitatation to drink''?

I know, right? wtf?

ReplyQuote
Share: