Notifications
Clear all

Esoteric Book Conference - Seattle 9/19-20/09

mika
 mika
(@mika)
Topic starter  

http://esotericbookconference.com/2009/

"The Esoteric Book Conference is an annual international event to bring together authors, artists, publishers and bookmakers working in the field of esotericism. In addition to presentations by notable authors and scholars, the conference opens it doors to publishers and booksellers showcasing new & used books as well as rare and hard-to-find esoteric texts. For two days the conference hosts the largest selection of esoteric books under one roof. Contemporary esoteric publishing, finepress book arts and antiquarian texts are offered to augment the libraries of readers, scholars and collectors alike.

This multi-disciplined conference will feature presentations by contemporary authorities researching and working in esoteric currents both East & West. Western Esotericism, Gnosticism, Theosophy, Mythology, Shamanism, Rosicrucianism, Sacred Sciences, Occulture and World Religions are among the subjects to be represented. An esoteric book fair and art show will also be on site allowing education, vending and networking in a unique field of literary, historical and cultural arts."

Anonymous

Some familiar faces from the recent Equinox Festival. Looks good..

ReplyQuote
Michael Staley
(@michael-staley)
MANIO - it's all in the egg

I've revived this thread in order to express my appreciation to the organisers - Catamara Rosarium, William Kiesel and Michael Kolson - for organising such an interesting, diverse and well-run Conference, and to all the people who attended for being such a warm, attentive and open-minded audience. It's been wonderful and inspiring to be here and to take part, and I very much hope that it becomes an annual event.

Best wishes,

Michael.

ReplyQuote
mika
 mika
(@mika)
Topic starter  
"MichaelStaley" wrote:
I've revived this thread in order to express my appreciation to the organisers ... and to all the people who attended for being such a warm, attentive and open-minded audience.

You're welcome.

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

mika - were you one of the organizers or the warm, attentive and open-minded audience?

ReplyQuote
mika
 mika
(@mika)
Topic starter  
"tai" wrote:
mika - were you one of the organizers or the warm, attentive and open-minded audience?

Audience

ReplyQuote
Mykaljon
(@mykaljon)

I agree, it was done very well. I was there for Sunday only, and caught talks by Michael ("It's all in the egg") Staley on following your own nose and ignoring labels (under the guise of a talk on intitiation), Robert Ansel on Books as Talismanic objects, Christina Oakley Harrington on sexy grimoires, and Dan Schulke on Charming traditions and the use of charms within the Cultus Sabbati. Dan also discussed the use and meaning of grimoires as books to be read and *used*, which is perhaps sometimes overlooked these days in a world where they are commonly collected as fetish objects. It was also the launch for ABRAXAS, the new journal from Fulgar and Treadwells. There was a good selection of occult books both new and used (and some rare). Certainly worth the trip to Seattle, to be with a small but very dedicated crowd of interested (and interesting) persons.

ReplyQuote
alysa
(@alysa)

Can anyone explain to me what's the difference between 'normal' grimoires and 'sexy' grimoires. I was not at the Conference but I think Christina just talked about 'grimoires'.

ReplyQuote
alysa
(@alysa)

Ooch, I think I only understood just now the speaker also spoke of the 'erotic' relatioship one can have with the skin of the paper of the book, and the intimacy of the closed book cover. Yeah, can understand that; I also experienced that it can be very intriguing just to see a closed book, though I also at times open a book and start reading it.

ReplyQuote
James
(@james)

The event sounds fascinating and I hope that the oganisers will make available some of these talks, on audio preferably, I for one would be happy to pay something towards them.

As for erotic books, tha ABRAXAS is quite a knee-trembler, so I've heard!

Oo - er!

Regards

J. 😳

ReplyQuote
michaelclarke18
(@michaelclarke18)

As for erotic books, tha ABRAXAS is quite a knee-trembler, so I've heard!

hmmmm interesting.

ReplyQuote
Share: