Notifications
Clear all

International Thelemic Symposium 2008  

RSS

Anonymous
19/08/2008 1:58 pm  

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

We have nearly sold out of tickets for what constitutes the 12th International Thelemic Symposium hosted by the Golden Dawn Occult Society, previously submitted here:

http://www.lashtal.com/nuke/Article1051.phtml

The event is to be held on the 4th of October in Oxford, England. The event has proven very popular and has been so easy to promote it shows there was a genuine need in the Thelemic Community for a meeting ground again, that was not bogged down with the trappings of magickal orders and the rivalry between them. The event has been absent for some time and so it has been universally welcomed back by all.

The event is open to all adults and is not biased for or against any magickal order, group, coven or society of any kind. Such membership of Thelemic or other organisations will not exclude anyone nor prioritise them in the queue for tickets.
The event is to celebrate Thelemic individuality and is sharing of what we have in common as Thelemites, rather than what separates us. Please hurry if you want tickets and have not bought and paid for one yet. All ticket reservations will expire on the 1st of September so please don’t assume that showing a vague interest has secured you ticket either.

To buy tickets now please go to:
http://www.dowhatthouwilt.com/symposium/details.asp

I look forward to seeing many of you there,
Alex

Love is the law, love under will.

Anonymous
19/08/2008 8:40 pm  

93 Alex,

May I ask how many participants are expected for this event?

93 93/93
Camlion

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous
20/08/2008 11:31 am  

Due to restraints of the venue, it is only 120 capacity. The old Symposiums were about 100 capacity but that was before the huge pagan revival of the last ten years or so. We hope that as long as this year is a success and it is looking that way, to find a bigger venue next year. The trouble is though that choice is limited locally. I could have got a 500 capacity place quite easily but 200-300 places were quite hard to come by.

As this was a re-launch of an event we have not held since 1996, there was some trepidation as to how viable or in how much demand it would be. Even though it evidently could have been bigger from the interest we have had, I have no regrets though as if we had overstretched there would be absolutely no chance of it happening again. At least this way we don't make a loss and we have a year to plan a bigger event in future. All money we make will be ploughed back into either an annual or biannual event.

Thelemic Symposium 2008 Website

Alex

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous
20/08/2008 11:58 am  

To make it extra clear the 120 capacity refers to tickets only. The staff, performers and speakers are not included in that total. The event will therefore be bigger with 120 paying guests. I have only about 40 tickets left and of those about half are reserved in some way and expect most of them to be secured by being paid for, leaving about 20 going spare for now.

Alex

ReplyQuote
lashtal
(@lashtal)
Owner and Editor Admin
21/08/2008 12:15 am  

I do hope that anyone from LAShTAL who attends the Symposium will report back for the benefit of the rest us that can't be there, or choose to be elsewhere.

I have very fond memories of the Oxford Symposia of old and I'm pleased to note Mogg Morgan's participation...

Owner and Editor
LAShTAL

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous
21/08/2008 11:21 am  

I too was loved the event, so much so I brought it back. Mogg Morgan of Mandrake Press used to run the event and is still involved in the revival. Though he would rather I had the stress of running it now, he has been helping me in an advisory capacity. He and his wife Kim will be at the event and are hosting the Tea & Coffee Shop, so this Symposium he may actually be able to talk to people. I am sure that his watching me running around being stressed out, will bring back many fond memories.

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous
29/08/2008 3:43 pm  

I have now just about sold out of tickets for the Symposium. I hope to make it a bigger event in future as I seem to have underestimated it's popularity. Sorry to all those who have not got tickets. A few may become available soon if those who have reserved them, don't commit and buy their tickets but I only have one or two left now and several people have sort of booked tickets that I am waiting to hear from.

For those who have reserved tickets and not paid for them, please do so? I have recieved payment details for people with no acompanying note saying who to send them to or how many tickets even. Could those people please get in touch as soon as possible? That includes those who have tried to pay for tickets with completely different names than who they are resereved for. Essentailly if you have not received your tickets yet but think you have one booked please get in touch immediately? I will not be able to hold them until the Symposium unless you are helping with the event or a partner to one of the speakers etc..

For those who have tickets I look forward to seeing you there. I am really happy that the Thelemic Community is going to do something constructive together and actually talk to each other face to face. The internet has come into existence mainly since the last Symposium and has though been very usefull, it has destracted some from actually meeting other Thelemites to some extent.

Alex

ReplyQuote
lashtal
(@lashtal)
Owner and Editor Admin
29/08/2008 4:14 pm  
"Alex_Bennett" wrote:
I am really happy that the Thelemic Community is going to do something constructive together and actually talk to each other face to face.

While I wish your event well and have fond memories of Mogg's symposia, I fear you may be overstating things by confusing inter-organisational irritations for the "real world". In the "real world", members of the "Thelemic Community" have been happily talking to each other on a daily basis for donkeys' years.

Owner and Editor
LAShTAL

ReplyQuote
lashtal
(@lashtal)
Owner and Editor Admin
10/09/2008 6:02 pm  

This from the organiser of the event:

Unfortunately Constance DuQuette has recently broken a bone and will not be able to walk much for a while, certainly not travel to the U.K.. Lon has rightly decided to stay and look after his wife. They will therefore not be able to make the Symposium. We wish Constance a swift recovery and hope it doesn't hurt too much...

I am sorry for those people who were coming to see Constance and Lon in particular. Tickets are non refundable but we would be prepared to try and sell them for people if they really no longer want to come.

Owner and Editor
LAShTAL

ReplyQuote
alysa
(@alysa)
11/09/2008 1:10 am  

This night I read on Lashtal.com that Mr. and Mrs. Duquette are not able to come to the Thelemic Symposium 2008, because his wife had broken a bone, I hope she will soon recover of that, I give them both my very best wishes.

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous
11/09/2008 5:27 pm  
"lashtal" wrote:
I do hope that anyone from LAShTAL who attends the Symposium will report back for the benefit of the rest us that can't be there, or choose to be elsewhere.

I have very fond memories of the Oxford Symposia of old and I'm pleased to note Mogg Morgan's participation...

Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to attend as planned. Priorities for that period of time have shifted, as they sometimes will. I echo Paul's hope that the event will be reported on here by those who do attend.

ReplyQuote
lashtal
(@lashtal)
Owner and Editor Admin
11/09/2008 7:18 pm  

What would you all feel about a LAShTAL.COM soiree? Er, I mean a formal meeting of The Aleister Crowley Society?

Owner and Editor
LAShTAL

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous
11/09/2008 8:18 pm  

That would be a very good idea, Paul.

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous
12/09/2008 2:45 pm  

Heartily seconded!

πŸ˜€

ReplyQuote
alysa
(@alysa)
12/09/2008 4:25 pm  

Yes indeed, that would be a very graet idea.

ReplyQuote
lashtal
(@lashtal)
Owner and Editor Admin
12/09/2008 4:35 pm  

Thanks to those that posted here and for the support by email from a surprisingly large number of members. I'll look into doing something - meanwhile, back to the subject of the thread...

Owner and Editor
LAShTAL

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous
06/10/2008 4:01 pm  

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole fo the Law.

Thank you everyone who attended Saturday's Thelemic Symposium. I do hope you enjoyed the event and will be interested in attended another one. I think that all of our speakers were brilliant and that the Gnostic Mass group and musicians did a wonderfull job, but I would love to hear from others. We hope to be doing it again and though most people have got only good things to say about the event so far, we are perfectionists and so have already a list of things we will do differently in future. If you have and comments, criticism or suggestions, we would be happy to hear them as well as any compliments you may have. So please feel free to revue the event frankly.

Thanks again to all attendees,
Alex Bennett

ReplyQuote
manofwycombe
(@manofwycombe)
06/10/2008 5:07 pm  

I'd like to acknowledge the tremendous work put in by Alex and all the others, who put on such a wonderful event.

"Success is your proof" as they say!

93 93/93

Clive

ReplyQuote
lashtal
(@lashtal)
Owner and Editor Admin
06/10/2008 6:10 pm  

I'd like to second Clive's remarks and offer my own congratulations to Alex. I had to leave for the 'Killing Joke' concert after the Blood Rites presentation, which was the fourth of the afternoon, but the event was clearly very professionally managed up to that point and I'm told the social was enjoyable.

Nice to see Oxford at the hub again...

Owner and Editor
LAShTAL

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous
06/10/2008 6:13 pm  

I reckon Alex and all involved did a great job in the organising and programming of the event.

Workshops were a feature of past symps and should be again as some of the talks were teasers for greater things - Mike Magee's being perhaps one the shortest talks ever and would have made an excellent introduction / promotion for a related workshop.

Talks come in all shapes and sizes - David Beth and Jake Stratton-Kent being examples of presenting material that contained a lot of information, while Melissa and Charlotte gave talks that were delivered in a very conversational style yet raised complex issues. For future events it might be good to consider what slot in the day to allocate to a talk according to its content and variable audience energy levels.

The GM was an excellent end to the formal proceedings and the Priest from the York based body was the most playful and mischevious I've seen yet. He did remind me of the young AC... http://www.lashtal.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-1 9"> http://www.lashtal.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-19

It was a very nostalgic day followed by an even more nostalgic evening. The dancefloor bangin' to Sisters Of Mercy, cries of 'Astaroth' when Black Widow came on and a certain fellow wriggling across the floor looking for some Shiny, Shiny, Shiny Boots Of Leather... You know who you are πŸ˜‰

I look forward to next year.

Ivor

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous
06/10/2008 6:29 pm  

I would also like to pass on my thanks and congratulations to the team that put this event together. I can't wait for the next one. πŸ™‚

Ali

ReplyQuote
lashtal
(@lashtal)
Owner and Editor Admin
06/10/2008 8:33 pm  

A photo of the early moments of the Symposium...

Owner and Editor
LAShTAL

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous
08/10/2008 1:06 pm  

Thank you for posting a picture of me forgetting my speech and cursing my printer for blowing up that morning πŸ™‚ . Appart from the odd mishap like that though it did seem to run smoothely and all our speakers had very interesting topics that by chance all seemed to compliment each other.

This is the best revue so far:

http://wiccanwanderings.wordpress.com/2008/10/05/12th-international-thelemic-symposium/

If anyone has any others I would love to hear them even if they are bad. I was the first to say that it was not a perfect event but I still have to hear from anyone who disliked it. I hope to do a better job next year (and yes there is likely to be a bigger one next year), so suggestions would be helpfull. Speakers for next year should get in touch directly with me with suggestions, though we won't be seriously thinking about that for a couple of months.

Thanks you to all involved and attendees,
Alex Bennett

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous
08/10/2008 3:39 pm  

Here's another revue. This one is by Mogg Morgan, who used to run the event from 1986 to 1996. This year he and his wife Kym ran a great tea & coffee stall that sold sandwich's and salad too. Thanks to both of them, as without that coffee I don't know what I would have done πŸ™‚ .

http://mandox.blogspot.com/2008/10/oxford-golden-dawn-thelemic-symposium.html

Perhaps it is not strictly speaking an independent revue but worth a mention as he did used to run it.

Alex

ReplyQuote
Share: