Kennth Anger / Crai...

Notifications
Clear all

Kennth Anger / Craig Baldwin in person March 2010  

RSS

JNSmith
(@jnsmith)
07/02/2010 1:44 am  

I'm sure some folks will be interested to know that Kennth Anger and Craig Baldwin will be in conversation and introducing their films in Newcastle Upon Tyne in March this year. The blurb below is part lifted from the AV festival website; http://www.avfestival.co.uk/

Kenneth Anger at Tyneside Cinema
Fri 12th March from 7:00pm until 9:00pm
I do not think he will be screening any of the Magick Lantern Cycle

Craig Baldwin: Screening at Star and Shadow cinema
Thu 11th March from 9:00pm until 11:00pm
Mock Up On Mu (2008)
Special guest appearance by Craig Baldwin, filmmaker and founder of the Other Cinema in San Francisco. Mock Up On Mu (114 mins) is a radical mix of spy, sci-fi, Western and even horror genres.
The film is based on stories of California’s post-War sub-cultures of rocket pioneers, alternative religions and Beat lifestyles. Pulp-serial snippets, industrial-film imagery and B- (and Z-) fiction clips are intercut with newly shot liveaction material. The story travels through the occult web of Jack Parsons (Aleister Crowley acolyte and founder of the Jet Propulsion Lab), L Ron Hubbard (sci-fi author turned cult-leader) and Marjorie Cameron (bohemian artist and mother of the New Age movement).

See y'all there.
REGARDS! John

Anonymous
05/03/2010 9:04 pm  

Just saw Anger give a talk here at the Dublin film festival. They played Rabbit Moon, Lucifer Rising and Invocation of My Demon Brother. Anger talked afterward and was very funny and charming but didn't really talk about his involvement with the O.T.O. or Crowley, which was disappointing.

ReplyQuote
michaelclarke18
(@michaelclarke18)
06/03/2010 5:20 pm  

Just saw Anger give a talk here at the Dublin film festival. They played Rabbit Moon, Lucifer Rising and Invocation of My Demon Brother. Anger talked afterward and was very funny and charming but didn't really talk about his involvement with the O.T.O. or Crowley, which was disappointing.

I would have hung around after the talk and tried to meet and talk with Anger - this is my usual habit - especially seeing as Crowley is a very important interest/influence for him.
A few years ago, I came across some very interesting letters from him to either John Symonds or Gerald Yorke regarding his rediscovery of The Abbey of Thelema in the 1950s. In the letters, Anger expresses great disapointment at finding the Abbey after some workmen had already moved in and obliterated the floor together with Crowley's magic circle - as painted by Wolfe.

If I could ask Anger any question, it would relate to the tracings he made of the wall paintings at the Abbey - once he had removed the whitewash - and what he did with them; oh and his film too.

ReplyQuote
JNSmith
(@jnsmith)
07/03/2010 6:52 pm  

He was certainly sharp and amusing yesterday at a screening of 'Things To Come'- a favourite film of his.
I shall ask him about the tracings if I get an opportunity and report back!
REGARDS!
J

ReplyQuote
Lashtalreader
(@lashtalreader)
17/03/2010 2:23 am  

Does Anger have a website that lists his upcoming appearances and the locations?

ReplyQuote
Share: