Notifications
Clear all

Theory 106

herupakraath
(@herupakraath)
Topic starter  

I was pondering the riddle of verse II:76 of the Book of the Law one day and came to realize that it consists of nothing but chaotic elements: there are no repeating letters or numbers in any of the groups of numbers and letters, and it appears to be absent of any harmonious qualities whatsoever. With one of the principal goals of activity in ancient Egypt being the creation of order from chaos, it occurred to me the solution to the riddle might require projecting order into it by making each of the four groups of text produce the same enumeration using gematria. I knew that investigating the theory would take a substantial investment of time and programming skill, so I put it off for a year until one eventful day when a simple test was performed, which turned out to be the first step needed to go forward. I am in the process of finishing a large document that details my findings, and in the meantime would like to demonstrate how the riddle can be solved theoretically, and how the solution can be verified without knowing the exact gematria system used to create the riddle.

Assuming the four groups of text in the riddle of verse II:76 were designed to have the same enumeration, the numbers in the riddle would most likely serve as an offset to be added to the gematria totals for the groups. In order for the enumeration of the groups to be correct, the enumerations combined with the offset would have to result in a familiar number suggested in the Book of the Law. There is only one possible solution:

ABK = 106
ALGMOR = 106
YX = 106
RPSTOVAL = 106
106 + 106 + 106 + 106 + 4 + 6 + 3 + 8 + 2 + 4 + 3 + 24 + 89 = 567 = 61 + 8 + 80 + 418.

The solution to the riddle can be verified using the circle squared key provided in verse III:47. The page of the Liber L manuscript that verse III:47 appears on (most of it) is the 60th page in the book, also known as the ‘grid page’ due to the grid Aleister Crowley drew on it some years after the book was recorded. Using 60 as a circle radius produces a square with sides that measure 106.34 units long when the circle is squared, verifying that 106 is the correct enumeration for the groups of text in the riddle, as does the count of words in verse III:47, which is also 106. When the length of the sides of the imaginary square, 106.34, is used as the diameter of a circle, a circle is produced with a circumference of 334 units, the count of letters on page 60.

The gematria system theorized has been found, and it is spectacular, as you will soon see.

kidneyhawk
(@kidneyhawk)

Heru...

I don't want to sidetrack this thread at all and will be interested in seeing more of your research. Still, it seems to me that the "riddle" must represent something more than a tight mathematical proof of a some sort. In another thread, I alluded to AC's voyage of many years to finally hit upon the Mystery of 718. For AC, this was a startling and significant proof that the book was authored by a force or intelligence outside of his own mind. It verified the Stele etc. But this verification was meant to serve a purpose...once doubts were swept aside, the book could be worked with in a much more vital fashion to inaugurate the forces of the new aeon. This is the same force which comes tearing through with "force and fire," with "leaping laughter." Damning "reason" and rising above previous assessments of the universe.

As the "riddle" was meant for one who would come after AC, it seems that its "solution" will entail more than the mathematical precision of "proof verses." I don't think it's "solution" will be found following out a method of laborious calculations.

This is a point Paul raised in a separate thread on Gematria: what's the POINT. Crowley=Ra Hoor Khuit=Babalon=Aiwass=Hadit etc etc etc may seem like a revelation but I've yet to see some substantial implications in such connections between related ideas which manifests POWER and substantial direction towards CHANGE.

If Liber AL encodes a thousand verifiable mathematical formulas, I think at this point it would only offer us a big "Whoa, man...Aiwass is REAL!" For many, this is already a given. The question is not what formula are present, but how to activate them beyond cataloguing words. The "drum roll" around the riddle would seem to indicate a significance to it, unique to the "cipher" and of a different sort of implication with regards to the unfolding of the Aeonic Force.

Just a few thoughts on the topic-and I'll look forward to what you present to the site.

Kyle

ReplyQuote
herupakraath
(@herupakraath)
Topic starter  

Kidneyhawk:

I don't want to sidetrack this thread at all and will be interested in seeing more of your research. Still, it seems to me that the "riddle" must represent something more than a tight mathematical proof of a some sort.

I agree--the meaning of the riddle should hold more than numbers only, but on the other hand, numbers and words are the only things that can be extracted from the riddle that form symmetrical patterns, so there's no point in handicapping efforts to make sense of the riddle by excluding numbers. I should also point out that Crowley thought the first and best method of communication with the divine was through numbers.

In another thread, I alluded to AC's voyage of many years to finally hit upon the Mystery of 718. For AC, this was a startling and significant proof that the book was authored by a force or intelligence outside of his own mind.

I have no issues with Crowley making one of the names of the stele equate to 718, however, a literal reading of verse III:19 indicates Abomination of Desolation should enumerate to 718. Also, I have tried to verify the Greek word Crowley used for stele actually means stele, but I can't seem to verify that it's a word at all, but admittedly, I'm not very knowledgeable of the subject.

As the "riddle" was meant for one who would come after AC, it seems that its "solution" will entail more than the mathematical precision of "proof verses." I don't think it's "solution" will be found following out a method of laborious calculations.

A fascinating perspective. If hard work and effort--applied will--will not solve the riddle, then what will? Several features of the Book of the Law consist of keys and clues, obviously put in place to aid in solving the mysteries of the Book. If no one tries to work the keys, how will a solution be arrived at? Through gnosis? I would enjoy a single example of true divine inspiration that provided a direct transmission of useful knowledge.

This is a point Paul raised in a separate thread on Gematria: what's the POINT. Crowley=Ra Hoor Khuit=Babalon=Aiwass=Hadit etc etc etc may seem like a revelation but I've yet to see some substantial implications in such connections between related ideas which manifests POWER and substantial direction towards CHANGE.

I agree that what most people are parading as impressive gematria correspondences are of little value, with the exception of someone that adopts a system and sticks with it, and in that case any gematria system could be used in ritual work and be effective.

What makes a magical alphabet magical is its potential for expressing metaphysical truths. For instance, if a gematria system can make Nuit and Stars both share the same enumeration, then a magical link could be said to exist in regard to Nuit. If the same system could cause Ra-Hoor-Khut and War to the share an enumeration then another link could be said to exist within the system. A system that bears enough similar correlations could be a very powerful tool in ritual work.

If you care to, perhaps you can explain what you mean when using the words power and change. The only real power I can foresee is knowlege, and in that case, gematria could certainly provideit. If enough of the right words were linked through certain enumerations, it could act a series of signposts pointing the way.

I'm very curious about what you feel needs changing within the paradigm of Thelema.

If Liber AL encodes a thousand verifiable mathematical formulas, I think at this point it would only offer us a big "Whoa, man...Aiwass is REAL!"

If a single formula could be verified it would be extraordinary.

For many, this is already a given. The question is not what formula are present, but how to activate them beyond cataloguing words. The "drum roll" around the riddle would seem to indicate a significance to it, unique to the "cipher" and of a different sort of implication with regards to the unfolding of the Aeonic Force.

My thoughts exactly; I'm working along some of those very lines.

Tim

ReplyQuote
priestofal
(@priestofal)

... however, a literal reading of verse III:19 indicates Abomination of Desolation should enumerate to 718.

Actually, the verse indicates that "they" shall call it the Abomination of Desolation. One is directed to "count well its name," with no statement that this so-called Abomination (666 as commonly understood, presumably) IS its name (which it may not be considering that those who call it the Abomination are to be killed and tortured (supposedly), etc. Furthermore, it is said that the solution "shall be to you as 718" (not to THEM, apparently). What is AS 718 as opposed to something just being 718? 817 perhaps?

The point here being the verse can be picked apart beyond that which occurs at first reading.

ReplyQuote
kidneyhawk
(@kidneyhawk)

Dear Tim,

Thanks for you reply to my post. I am actually very intrigued and interested in the direction this thread will go.

Just to clarify a couple things:

I did not mean to suggest that numbers and ways of working with them be excluded from the "solution" of this verse. I was suggesting that a precise and reasoned method of approach may not hold the key to breaking through into the Mystery. So yes, I WAS casting an eye towards Intuition and Gnosis, which I believe is how Frater Achad arrived at his own revelations, providing valuable keys to the text.

Now Achad was clearly one who did not neglect the "hard work" you allude to. The restructuring and growth of his own "mind-stuff" into a Qabalistic framework set the scene for intuition to take form with the "materials" at hand. I see the dynamic "Gematrician" as one who is like a martial artist...MUCH hard work and training and transformation, which will ultimately be APPLIED to very spontaneous situations in which intuition plays as much a part as said training.

Regarding my allusion to "Power" and "Change," I was referring to actual manifestation in our lives of the forces and ideas represented by word/number correlations. If Stars and Nuit prove to ride the same numeric chariot, so what? Liber AL already has provided that symbolism...what happens to that symbolism within our lives to demonstrate its "activation?"

Again, I'm interested in what you've discovered and developed-and also how it relates to the "active use" of Gematria.

I'm in haste so forgive me if I've not completely addressed everything in your post. Never the less, I'll keep following the conversation here and I'm looking forwards to where its going.

Kyle

ReplyQuote
faustian
(@faustian)

Above, the gemmèd azure is
The naked splendour of Nuit;

The color of Azurite - the gem - is 4638AB

Goodnight...

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

Nice. That is a hexadecimal RGB-code?

Divide
Red Green Blue
#46 #38 #AB (hex)
70 56 171 (dez)

add
70+56+171=297 =18=9
7+11+ 9 =27=9

multiply
70*56*171=670320=18=9
7*11* 9=693 =18=9

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

67+0+32+0 = 99 = 18 = 9
6*9*3 = 162 = 9

#4638AB = 9
=========

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

46*38*(alefbeth) = 20976 = 2*9*7*6 = 756 = 18 = 9

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

9 - Jesod - Assia - citrusyellow with azurfleck.
(Fortune - The mystical Qabalah)

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

AL I,60: My number is 11...My colour is black to the blind, but the blue & gold are seen of the seeing...

I+60+1|1=1+6+1+1=9

ReplyQuote
faustian
(@faustian)

Yes hex RGB code, I apologize for not specifying

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

2*9*7=126=1+2+6=9
67*32=2144=21*44=924=9*2*4=72=7+2=9

So, what says Kenneth to this?
-> Kenn+eth='kenn'+'es'="Ich kenn es [schon]"

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

Grant = grant = Beihilfe, Bewilligung, Darlehen, Erteilung, Genehmigung, Gewährung, Konzession, Schürfbefugnis, Stipendium, Subvention, Unterstützung, Verleihung, Zuschuss, Zuwendung, nicht rückzahlbarer Kredit, zugewiesenes Amt.

t=d -> Grant=grand='big style'

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

No* (*=big black point)=No' [in thuringian dialect]='Ja' [in 'normal' German]= 'Yes'

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

to specify it more precise:
No* = "yes, isn't it?"
(at least in Zentralthüringisch)
-> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Thuringian

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

"kidneyhawk" wrote:
If Liber AL encodes a thousand verifiable mathematical formulas, I think at this point it would only offer us a big "Whoa, man...Aiwass is REAL!" For many, this is already a given.

Well, yes, for many it is a given, but for many it is not and for others it is of little or no practical value either way. Crowley certainly made a great deal of fuss about the importance of proving it, at least some of time during his life, to which we owe the present preoccupations of many Thelemites. At any rate, I too wonder whether this is the most productive focus of ongoing effort.

ReplyQuote
Tiger
(@tiger)

moyal
rgb is subtractive not additive
No?

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

No*!

...but, AL I,25.

ReplyQuote
lashtal
(@lashtal)
Owner and Editor Admin

Moyal, please combine your posts - spreading your remarks across many posts makes it difficult for other members to quote and reply.

Owner and Editor
LAShTAL

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

Sorry, but look at the times. I must have the idea, before I can post.

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

Every true idea is always spontaneous and so is it's realization.
If you try to organize this, it degenerates to propaganda.
The realization of propaganda would be polity.
If you have polity you can't escape politics.
To manage politics, policy is needed.
Policy kills spontaneity.
Without spontaneity -
nevermore
ideas.

ReplyQuote
lashtal
(@lashtal)
Owner and Editor Admin

Locked.

Owner and Editor
LAShTAL