This is a inquiry stemming from an on going debate I've had with another fellow Lashtalian *ahem*. I'd appreciate it if you'd all indulge me here with some answers. Besides it could be really interesting to see what others here consider precious valuables.
Heres the situation:
The house is on fire. It's burning down. NOTHING will be left. You can grab 3 occult related items. A book? A wand? A signed letter? What? The rest is going to be LOST so pick carefully. You get to keep 3 things. What are you going to save?
For the sake of argument we are not including other occultists (LOL) or famuliars. Humans and animals don't count. It should be a given they'd be saved but knowing collectors as I do, nothing would suprise me. 😉
Art counts. I know a few people who are going to go RUNNING out the door with their Spares. *grin*
Collections DO NOT count. You can't say "my Grant collection". (KYLE!) You must pick each book if thats what you want to choose.
I'm looking forward to everyones answers, HIGHLY! And I will add my own answers shortly.
Thanks! Chose carefully! 😯
Ok Adonia, here goes:
- My Grant collection, oops, sorry I will give it another try..
- A drawing by Andrew Chumbley.
- A handmade greetings card by Steffi Grant sent to Ithell Colquhoun.
- Equinox of the Gods (first edition, 1936)
You have some lovely things to "save" LOL. At first this sounds like a dumb question but please, I KNOW everyone here has thought about this atleast once!! And if they haven't, they should, haha!
I'm going to submit my list later. I really want to see what everyone lists. I'm sure we'll be seeing A LOT of amazing items members here own. Lashtal has quite a few established collectors.
I'm sadly not one of them but I know atleast one of my 3 will be a personal letter I recieved from Kenneth Grant. I could NEVER replace that!
Thanks for your answers!
I would save my Lon Milo Duquette collection... 8)
....and for the record..because I know you all care, I'd LOVE to see Paul, Ian, Michael Staley, Paolo_Sammuts and Lutz's list. I KNOW they own some AMAZING items. I cant even imagine what they'd choose.
Of course I stand by my initial statement, I'd like to see EVERYONES list. Lurkers, delurk okay? 😉
1. my fondue set
2. Donkey-fisting Lady Boys vol.3
3. possibly a new Spare acquisition
In fact, once I have this new Spare on file, I'll send it to Paul for consideration for the gallery, just in case a fire does happen and I decide to take something else...
lol! M.Klaw!..you are a right rotter!
..but you cant use my 'get out of jail card' 😆
And thanks, I can't get it out of my mind that there will be a fire soon.
Is the Equinox counting as 1 book or as multiple books?
Dang, this is hard... will meditate on it whenever the fire panic settles...
I would save my Lon Milo Duquette collection...
Well now why on earth would you do that Charles? Seeing as you're of the opinion that his works only worth is when set on fire warming your feet i'd have to say this is just poor time management. 8)
Owner and Editor
The Big Blue Brick (Liber ABA), Grant's "Nightside of Eden" and "Zos Speaks".
A tricky question...I'd rather not lose anything!
1. My personal Book of Shadows, mainly because of emotional value.
2. My athame. I will not lose this one!
3. "Holy Books of Thelema" (by Crowley) or "A Witches' Bible" (by Farrar & Farrar). I really can't decide which.
Only got 2 books so far 😀
The Book of the Law and Liber Kaos, so Id take em with me 🙂
1- My laptop
2- My phone
3- My Medication
3 occult related items for sure.
Shoot. I don't value "things." I value utility. All these things can be replaced - my BoTL, Big Blue Brick, Holy Books... etc, all of them. But then all my journals. Oh my gods! I really should digitize them because the only objects of utility that I wouldn't be able to replace are my two computers - and my eleven or so journals (journals and note books waiting to be made into something else). But that's more than three things. So I hope I digitize my years of journaling before that fire hits.
So in all, i can only say my Desktop and my Laptop, that's where my data is and my journaling has been moved to since 2003.
I own no original art, no one of kind signed prints of anything, a couple first edition books but nothing by AC or anyone "ancient." Not even my three complete volumes of Dragon Magazine count as that important to me.
Okay. I'd save my Walking Buddha lamp - I actually think that thing is an antique.
1) letters bound up from kidneyhawk
2) Ma'At Magick because I'm reading it as we speak, and I can't part from
a book I'm involved in
3) Can I say my Altar?... Probably not, but all of the articles from it could be whisped into the drawers uber quick, and I could jimmy that thing onto my back and have it out the door in no time!! Otherwise... Magick in T&P with an inscription from your husband in it 😳 or my little pocketsized Shambhala book... also incribed.. by... Kyle....... haha I guess I'm fond of you guys, and plus my occult collection of truly important things is only so many items long. Besides, as much as I love my stuff, my friendships are infinately more important than any of my current material possessions. Who knows, I might own an original Freida Harris one day, then all Kyles' stuff can go to cinders!! muaha!!!
... Though I imagine I could spring for the pocket book AND the Crowley one... I mean, the first is a POCKET book, I could fit that and sprint for the other. Hell, I could stash it in my altar! Speaking which, the cat spilt water on it, or was that me..? I should stow it into the altar anyway. Hell, I could fit a lot of stuff into that altar...
Thanks for the entertaining question,
Golly. What a nightmare provoking question. I think I would rather try to juggle cats than actually have to face something like this.
Its made additionally scary because many occultists like lots of nice books and use candles. The two do not go well together.
I really will need to think on this one 🙁
I'm now going out to buy some fireproof book shelves
I would save:
- Viridarium Umbris by Daniel Schulke
- Zos Speaks! by Kenneth and Steffi Grant
This made me think about the burden of possesions and the value of things, after some thought here is my list:-
1- Led Zep's 4 symbols album and summat to play it on
2 - My large poster of Capt J.F.C. Fuller's "Knowledge and Conversation"
3 - AC's Ambergris, first edition
I'm also going to get a large fire extinguisher!
Zos speaks appears to be popular... 😈
1. Zos Speaks!
2. flash/pen drive thingy with many megs of magical records, and all of my lesson plans on it
3. Kali statue (coz she can give as well as take way....)
Of course, it's a beautiful book!
First reaction? Wife and two kids of course - everything else is replaceable one way or the other.
If thinking of contents of 'sanctum'.....tricky. Probably the hand-painted tanka of Vajrasattva and consort, the bag containing my Grandfathers 'aprons' and 'jewels' and.........two small Etruscan pots.
1. My glass eye.
2. The Zebra Whip
3. The KY