A non-kooky word fo...
 
Notifications
Clear all

A non-kooky word for magick?  

  RSS

 Anonymous
Joined: 51 years ago
Posts: 0
25/12/2012 10:26 am  

I have a friend who's really cool, we discuss a lot of philosophy and he's pretty knowledgeable about the classical philosophers and post-enlightenment ones. I mostly talk about the renaissance philosophers and the occult. He's pretty interested in a lot of this stuff and has asked me about meditation and more taoist practices. However, I've been careful to avoid such loaded words as magic because it either brings up Paul Daniels or Harry Potter. Yet I find it hard to describe without it and I can't think of a non-loaded word that I can use in it's place.

Is there a reason for it to sound kooky. I mean as a way to fool the ignorant?


Quote
Michael Staley
(@michael-staley)
MANIO - it's all in the egg
Joined: 16 years ago
Posts: 4021
25/12/2012 10:56 am  

It's never sounded kooky to me, whether it's spelt "magic" or "magick".


ReplyQuote
 Anonymous
Joined: 51 years ago
Posts: 0
25/12/2012 8:16 pm  
"Kombaiyashii" wrote:
Is there a reason for it to sound kooky.

Well, if you think it might sound 'kooky', that's because it does sound kooky, at least to most everyday, rational people, anyway. Before you start going around telling friends, family and colleagues that you've taken to practicing *real* 'magic' or 'magick', I'd think very carefully indeed. Because they might think that's kind of, you know 'kooky'. And they'd be right about that.


ReplyQuote
 Anonymous
Joined: 51 years ago
Posts: 0
25/12/2012 8:50 pm  

"Scientific Illuminism" may serve as a substitude. Or it may sound even kookier 😉


ReplyQuote
ZIN
 ZIN
(@zin)
Member
Joined: 11 years ago
Posts: 82
25/12/2012 9:19 pm  

Explain to your friend why It's spelled with a "K"... I mean MAGICK not "kooky".  😉


ReplyQuote
belmurru
(@belmurru)
Member
Joined: 13 years ago
Posts: 1021
25/12/2012 10:19 pm  

How about "theurgy"? This is about as respectable as it gets in the history of ideas and the study of religious experience. 

"“Theurgy is a type of magic. It consists of a set of magical practices performed to evoke beneficent spirits in order to see them or know them or in order to influence them, for instance by forcing them to animate a statue, to inhabit a human being (such as a medium), or to disclose mysteries.”

(Pierre A. Riffard, Dictionnaire de l’ésotérisme, Paris: Payot, 1983, 340)

"Theurgy (from Greek θεουργία) describes the practice of rituals, sometimes seen as magical in nature, performed with the intention of invoking the action or evoking the presence of one or more gods, especially with the goal of uniting with the divine, achieving henosis, and perfecting oneself."

etc.

Quotes from the brief but accurate wikipedia article on the subject -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theurgy


ReplyQuote
Michael Staley
(@michael-staley)
MANIO - it's all in the egg
Joined: 16 years ago
Posts: 4021
25/12/2012 11:15 pm  

I'd just stick with "magic" or "magick" personally. If anyone thinks that's "kooky", well, that's their loss.


ReplyQuote
Azidonis
(@azidonis)
Member
Joined: 14 years ago
Posts: 2964
26/12/2012 4:00 pm  
"MichaelStaley" wrote:
I'd just stick with "magic" or "magick" personally. If anyone thinks that's "kooky", well, that's their loss.

'Bout it.


ReplyQuote
Los
 Los
(@los)
Member
Joined: 12 years ago
Posts: 2195
26/12/2012 5:45 pm  
"Kombaiyashii" wrote:
Is there a reason for it to sound kooky. I mean as a way to fool the ignorant?

I’m more inclined to say that the word “magick” tends to attract the ignorant, rather than fool them.

Sure, there are some people who understand magick as a tool for self-discovery and an aid for Thelemic attainment: “The method of science, the aim of religion.” But for every one of those people, there seem to be a few dozen who think magick is a wish-fulfillment machine and a mechanism by which they can escape from life – in other words, the opposite of the above: “The aim of science, the method of religion.” That is, they use the “technology” of religions – prayers, lighting candles, visualization – to work for “real life,” practical goals.

If you don't want your friend to think you're kooky or goofy, tell him the truth -- that "magick" is just a kind of enacted meditation, symbolic of the process of initiation.


ReplyQuote
phthah
(@phthah)
Member
Joined: 14 years ago
Posts: 210
26/12/2012 11:56 pm  

93 Kombaiyashii

"ZIN" wrote:
Explain to your friend why It's spelled with a "K"... I mean MAGICK not "kooky".  😉

I agree with this approach that you should try to explain to your friend the difference between Magick with a (k) and its counterfeits. I wouldn't try to come up with a different word.
A.C. went to great lengths to try and rehabilitate the word "Magick" for this very reason. You might Reread the "Preliminary Remarks" in Book 4 Part II and also the chapter called"Introduction and Theorems" in Magick in Theory and Practice. This later is also in Magick Without Tears.

"belmurru" wrote:
How about "theurgy"?

I also like the use of this term, though I'm not real crazy about the definitions provided. However, I would link this term more with a description of Thelema than Magick.

93 93/93
phthah


ReplyQuote
gurugeorge
(@gurugeorge)
Member
Joined: 16 years ago
Posts: 456
27/12/2012 11:28 am  

I agree with the person above, "Theurgy" is probably the best word, because it has perceivable traces going back to antiquity in academic literature, which would give an intelligent person a point of entry into understanding.


ReplyQuote
ignant666
(@ignant666)
Tangin
Joined: 14 years ago
Posts: 3105
27/12/2012 9:39 pm  

Los: Having jousted with you from time to time, I thought I'd post my total agreement with what you say above.
But it seems to me this attraction of the credulous may not have been unanticipated or surprising to AC.


ReplyQuote
Share: