Notifications
Clear all

3:39 AL. Did he?

dom
 dom
(@dom)
Topic starter  

AL 3:39. ; and to each man and woman that thou meetest, were it but to dine or to drink at them, it is the Law to give. Then they shall chance to abide in this bliss or no; it is no odds. Do this quickly!

I take this as meaning that Crowley was directed to preach the word of the Law of Thelema to everyone he met socially or was it a case of just lead by example and "preach not"? 

https://www.lashtal.com/wiki/Aleister_Crowley_Timeline

Shiva
(@shiva)
Not a Rajah

Posted by: @dom

Crowley was directed to preach the word

I thought he was directed to "argue not, convert not," thus the opposite of "preaching." Instead, he was to slip his customers a book, so that they could make their own choice.

As to "did he?"  I don't remember reading anything that suggested he had his pockets full of booklets to give to everyone, even those he only had dinner or drinks with.

It was not even a case of "lead by example." It was simply an instruction to issue booklets instead of business (or aristocratic) cards.

magimaat and dom liked
ReplyQuote
ignant666
(@ignant666)
Tangin

Didn't AC attempt to abide by this "to each man and woman that thou meetest [...] it is the Law to give" by greeting everyone he met with the old "DWTWSBTWOTL", as opposed to continual pamphleteering or actual Jehovah's Witless-style proselytizing?

ReplyQuote
Shiva
(@shiva)
Not a Rajah

Posted by: @ignant666

Didn't AC attempt to abide by this "to each man and woman that thou meetest [...] it is the Law to give" by greeting everyone he met with the old "DWTWSBTWOTL", as opposed to continual pamphleteering or actual Jehovah's Witless-style proselytizing?

This part was more than an attempt. He seems to have done this ruthlessly throughout his career.

ReplyQuote
dom
 dom
(@dom)
Topic starter  

Maybe in published work yes but I don't recall any accounts of this from The Confessions.  I've never started doing this socially with new people I meet.  

ReplyQuote
ignant666
(@ignant666)
Tangin

I've never started doing this socially with new people I meet.  

This is probably wise. That way at least some of them might keep talking to you.

ReplyQuote
Shiva
(@shiva)
Not a Rajah

Smart fellow.

magimaat and dom liked
ReplyQuote
christibrany
(@christibrany)
Yuggothian

This is probably wise. That way at least some of them might keep talking to you.

Not to mention its quite a mouthful.  I just say howdy. 

ReplyQuote
ignant666
(@ignant666)
Tangin

Notice that the "two old American guys who run this forum" (according to i forget which recent nut-poster) provide almost identical answers within minutes without communicating with each other (even psychically!).

ReplyQuote
dom
 dom
(@dom)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @shiva

Smart fellow.

Mind you (and similarly) I'm sure there was a guy on the Jim Eshelman forum who claimed that he said Will before each meal anywhere and with whoever. 

ReplyQuote
ignant666
(@ignant666)
Tangin

Quite possibly.

And he often dined/dines alone, i'm guessing.

ReplyQuote
dom
 dom
(@dom)
Topic starter  

Quite possibly.

And he often dined/dines alone, i'm guessing.

😆

ReplyQuote
wellreadwellbred
(@wellreadwellbred)

ignant666: "Didn't AC attempt to abide by this "to each man and woman that thou meetest [...] it is the Law to give" by greeting everyone he met with the old "DWTWSBTWOTL", as opposed to continual pamphleteering or actual Jehovah's Witless-style proselytizing?"

Within Richard Kaczynski's Perdurabo: The Life of Aleister Crowley (Revised and Expanded Edition 2010, page 506), a letter that AC three days after the declaration of war, sent to England's Naval Intelligence Division (NID), offering to serve his homeland, is quoted, where  the "New Aeon" greeting "DWTWSBTWOTL" does not appear to have been used.

On this site is mentioned a brief letter to Ian Fleming from Aleister Crowley, and again the "New Aeon" greeting "DWTWSBTWOTL" does not appear to have been used. (Source: Ian Fleming and Crowley - - - https://www.lashtal.com/forums/crowley-clippings/ian-fleming-and-crowley/ )

On page 548 within the mentioned edition of Richard Kaczynski's book, is decribed that AC when he died, in his pocket had; "... an old letter, tattered from repeated unfoldings and foldings. Dated September 10, 1939, it read: "The Director of Naval Intelligence prresents his compliments and would be glad if you could find it convenient to call at the Admiralty for an interview.""

Maybe AC's above mentioned letters to NID and Ian Fleming are examples of him refraining from using the "New Aeon" greeting "DWTWSBTWOTL", when he really wanted to be taken seriously, as he often was used to not be taken seriously in England during his lifetime, as the prophet of a new world religion?

I find it remarkable that AC already in 1905 was asking for help to "... found a new world religion.", and was predicting that "... in a hundred years, the world will be sitting in the dawn of a New Aeon." (Page 134, in the Revised and Expanded Edition 2010, of Richard Kaczynski's Perdurabo: The Life of Aleister Crowley.) 

ReplyQuote
Shiva
(@shiva)
Not a Rajah

Posted by: @wellreadwellbred

Maybe AC's above mentioned letters to NID and Ian Fleming are examples of him refraining from using the "New Aeon" greeting ...

The way you present your evidence suggests that there was no "maybe" about it. He knew when to hold back on the mandatory greetings.

... in a hundred years, the world will be sitting in the dawn of a New Aeon.

This seems to be just about right ... although certain other milestones (km-stones?) could be evoked for the sake of argument. 

ReplyQuote
Jamie J Barter
(@jamiejbarter)

I find it remarkable that AC already in 1905 was asking for help to "... found a new world religion.", and was predicting that "... in a hundred years, the world will be sitting in the dawn of a New Aeon."

Unfortunate that Elron Hubbard beat him to the punch in founding this new ("science-fiction") religion with worldwide i.e. international appeal.

Norma N Joy Conquest

magimaat liked
ReplyQuote
christibrany
(@christibrany)
Yuggothian

@jamiejbarter

I believe that Thelema as a tool, and interest in Thelema will continue long after Scientology has sputtered out to nothingness.  Especially since you don't have to pay for it.  Or attach yourself to some electrical currents. 

magimaat liked
ReplyQuote
christibrany
(@christibrany)
Yuggothian

Posted by: @christibrany

Or attach yourself to some electrical currents. 

Well in a sense you do...inadvertent pun 

ReplyQuote
Share: