Crowley on page 287...

Notifications
Clear all

Crowley on page 287 of 'The Lost Symbol' by Dan Brown  

RSS

Anonymous
20/09/2009 1:04 am  

Well, I bit the bullet and paid for a discounted 40% off the cover price "The Lost Symbol" new book by Dan Brown. I had time this week to read the entire book, surprisingly easy to breeze through, i was impressed with his writing style... an intriguing adventure, but loses ground near the last quarter, the plot-holes become glaring - it falls apart in my estimation.

There is 1 page written about Aleister Crowley, Page 287 Distortingly appalling, and out of context, all about sacrifice...yet, what can you expect from a 'Christic' book? - pick it up at the store, read that page! then put it down and walk away!

My 2 cents is a recommendation to save your money and read Aleister Crowley's THE STRATAGEM, before reading this 'novel'

Mr. Crowley wrote in around 40 pages what this buffoon took 509!!!!

Im sure the 'movie' will be out soon. Believe me the fuss isnt worth even 40% off cover price! no to mention the time reading of it!

p.s. this is my opinion only!
p.p.s. I will try and sell it now on ebay.

Patriarch156
(@patriarch156)
20/09/2009 7:59 pm  

I thought the few references to Crowley were largely harmless and in the end I think if anything at all it will have a positive impact on Crowley's legacy in that it will make more people google his name. Here are the only references to him in The Lost Symbol:

"Then he discovered the writings of Aleister Crowley—a visionary mystic from the early 1900s—whom the church had deemed “the most evil man who ever lived.” Great minds are always feared by lesser minds. Andros learned about the power of ritual and incantation. He learned that sacred words, if properly spoken, functioned like keys that opened gateways to other worlds. There is a shadow universe beyond this one . . . a world from which I can draw power. And although Andros longed to harness that power, he knew there were rules and tasks to be completed beforehand.

Become something holy, Crowley wrote. Make yourself sacred.

The ancient rite of “sacred making” had once been the law of the land. From the early Hebrews who made burnt offerings at the Temple, to the Mayans who beheaded humans atop the pyramids of Chichén Itzá, to Jesus Christ, who offered his body on the cross, the ancients understood God’s requirement for sacrifice. Sacrifice was the original ritual by which humans drew favor from the gods and made themselves holy. Sacra—sacred. Face— make.

Even though the rite of sacrifice had been abandoned eons ago, its power remained. There had been a handful of modern mystics, including Aleister Crowley, who practiced the Art, perfecting it over time, and transforming themselves gradually into something more. Andros craved to transform himself as they had. And yet he knew he would have to cross a dangerous bridge to do so."

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous
20/09/2009 8:56 pm  

Thank you Patriarch. I agree, it can only be positive in generating interest in Crowley & Thelema. It seems to almost be an attempt at praise. Now if the public can seperate sacrifice from the idea of killing or giving up something and actually understand that Brown isn't saying that Crowley was murdering people for God. LOL. Certainly 1000% above such drivel as Chemical Wedding & IN Search of the Great Beast 666 Aleister Crowley.

ReplyQuote
kidneyhawk
(@kidneyhawk)
20/09/2009 9:17 pm  

Thank you Patriarch

Ditto from Kidneyhawk. 🙂

The only Dan Brown I've read has been DaVinci Code. A lot of the ideas were "old hat" to folks who've read a bit on the subject(s) and don't rely on pop culture as their sole source of exposure to information. Still, he wove his research into what I felt was a really fun, fast paced and gripping suspense story that was well worth the read.

It seems that a good portion of American Freemasonry is responding favorably to this new book and his mention of Crowley (which you cited) is also a fun surprise. The passage you cite is also intriguing and reminds me of those moments when we get to "meet" the occult greats (or their ideas) in Robert Anton Wilson's Historical Illuminatus books. Another example of truly fun, engrossing and suspenseful fiction, laced with important, significant and thought provoking references.

Now I need to pick up my own copy!

Cheers,

Kyle

ReplyQuote
Nomad
(@nomad)
20/09/2009 10:28 pm  

Wow, a non-libellous piece about Uncle Al in mainstream print! (I'm a little scared...)

Thanks for posting Patriarch156. I might even read this book one day.

Gets me wondering... A couple of weeks ago I was watching a documentary channel and it had a programme called "Angels, Demons and Freemasons", which was a sort-of 'The truth behind Angels and Demons' expose, a fairly factual look at Freemasonry, anti-matter, and a few other things Brown touches on in his Angels and Demons novel.

Now a couple of experts it had on the programme regarding Masonry were Messrs James Wasserman and Richard Kaczynski, both well-known Thelemites. (In fact the little info caption for Wasserman was "Author of 'The Slaves Shall Serve'... (I took a bit of a double-take at that moment, for I had just, literally seconds before he appeared on screen, been showing his book on the Gnostic Mass to my flatmate.))

The programme also had an editor of Angels and Demons on it; presumably he also edited Brown's latest book. Which gets me wondering: Could this editor chap have chatted (seriously or semi-seriously) with Wasserman and/or Kaczynski, and Crowley's name been dropped as something to look at or think about for Brown's next work? Hmmm...!

ReplyQuote
Proteus
(@proteus)

ReplyQuote
Share: