Home Forums Community Submissions 70th ANNIVERSARY – DEATH of ALEISTER CROWLEY : 1947 – 2017.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

SPHINX
    Participant

I love Aleister Crowley because he is dead.
    He was born on a calendar date.
    Lived large.
    Wrote travelogues, much fiction and poetry for sixty years.
    Died on 1st December 1947, was cremated and the ashes scattered.
    Bookends ; with his Canon in place, all supported by an ‘Hagiography’.
    What more perfection is there possible to consider on this day –
    Anniversary LXX of A.C.’s dissolution into the arms of Nuit?

Edward Alexander Crowley, Esq was his mother’s only child.
    Following his father’s example he became a preacher.
    The product of late Victorian then Edwardian Protestant English society.
    The Industrial Revolution, education and an inherited family fortune
    set him free to become the man that he was.

Indeed, this story of his journey has been meticulously retold since his death in many published sources for a curious populace to wonder and marvel at.
    So it is quite pointless detailing those chronicles here.
    Moreover, what does interest me this day of the 70th Anniversary of the death in Hastings, England of Edward St. Aleister Crowley is the several different reports of how he came to expire there…
    These differing accounts are gathered and recorded in that very informative book – “Netherwood Last Resort of Aleister Crowley” – (Accumulator Press – 2012 – various authors).

Where we learn that on Monday 1st December 1947 at 11am Aleister Crowley died in room 13 at Netherwood Guest House in Hastings.
    Deirdre Patricia MacAlpine, (the mother of Crowley’s son – Randall Gair, then aged 10) was present and has said – “there was no remorse, weeping or an unhappy, fearful death.”
    Also, that A.C. – “passed away peacefully and at the moment of his death a gust of wind blew in the curtains and a clap of thunder was heard.”

Appropriately, another 70th Anniversary occurs this year with the creation in Scotland of “The Black Douglas Whisky Company” in 1947.
    So do join with me now, all good, great, loyal and true A.C.S. Members in toasting this 70th Anniversary of Aleister’s death with a glass of Sir James Douglas’ amber tipple raising A.C.’s memory high above all others on our shoulders – a champion – and contemplate this vision in verse :

“I beheld a white swan floating in the blue.
    Between its wings I sate, and the aeons fled away.
    Is there not joy ineffable in this aimless winging?
    Is there not weariness and impatience for who would attain to some goal?
    Ah! but we floated in the infinite Abyss.
    Joy! Joy!”
    – Liber LXV.

( Tuesday 28th November 2017. )

Jamie J Barter
    Participant

These differing accounts are gathered and recorded in that very informative book – “Netherwood Last Resort of Aleister Crowley” – (Accumulator Press – 2012 – various authors).
    A splendid volume. There’s also a catalogue of A.C.’s ‘false deaths’ to be found in Gerald Suster’s now scarce and getting hard to find 1988 biography The Legacy of The Beast.

raising A.C.’s memory high above all others on our shoulders – a champion – and contemplate this vision in verse :
    On this auspiciously alcoholic occasion of three-score-and-ten let us also not forget to commemorate possibly the most profound & ineffable creation of the poet’s career, his sublime “The Happy Man” from Olla:

I can’t read, and I can’t write;
    I’m in bed all day, and drunk all night.

Hic,
    Norma N Joy Conquest

christibrany
    Participant

Herr SPHINX I am not quite sure why you would post this early to the date, it is quite out of ceremony, in regards to ‘celebrating’ deaths. Why not on the ‘Greater Feast’ Day?

But, I think I can agree with you that he was an amazing man and I would have loved to have met him.

93s

Chris

PS there may be a fun thread on rituals and meditation done sober versus done ‘with assistance?’ and we compare results. but not sure if that’s proper bc this is not an occult site?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged-in to reply to this topic.