Home Forums Aleister Crowley People A.’.A.’. Biography of J.F.C. Fuller

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Falcon
    Participant

One of the more controversial Thelemites due to his politics but nevertheless his books The Star in the West: A Critical Essay Upon the Works of Aleister Crowley, Yoga: A Study of the Mystical Philosophy of the Brahmins and Buddhists and the Secret Wisdom of the Qabalah: A Study in Jewish Mystical Thought and copies of his stunning art are a treasured part of my occult literature collection.

J. F. C. Fuller

• This topic was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  Falcon.

elitemachinery
    Participant

His life would make a good biography book. Certainly enough interesting events and characters.

Falcon
    Participant

Indeed, a new book about J.F.C. Fuller would be very interesting. I have two old out of print publications on his life and works:

* ‘Boney’ Fuller: The Intellectual General by Anthony John Trythall (1977) – full length mainstream book mostly about his military career and political worldview but there a few interesting pages which discuss his occult interests and his relationship with A.C.

* The Warrior Mage: General J.F.C. Fuller by Frater Scorpio (1996) highly rare underground political booklet which explores his occultism and political adherence in detail.

Even after Fuller fell out with Crowley he wrote a letter to E.N. FitzGerald (17th September 1949 e.v.):

“Crowley was a genuine avatar, but I don’t think he knew it, but I do think he sensed it in an emotional way.”

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  Falcon.

Michael Staley
    Participant

@falcon

I remember many yeears ago coming across The Treasure House of Images and being enthralled. There is also a book of his from the 1920s, Atlantis: America and the Future, from which this extraordinary passage is partularly inspiring:

The gods are not persons to be seen or spoken to, their utterances are delivered in oracles and these are normally cryptic and difficult to understand. There is a Pythoness in every one of us, and a Delphic cavern, namely our imagination, into which we must retire if we are to accomplish anything of worth.

Falcon
    Participant

christibrany
    Participant

Thank you so much for this thread brother Falcon.
    As an Army veteran and occultist and also a… Student and inheritor of World War II I have long been fascinated by GEN Fuller.
    I would love to read More about him, definitely.

I have the Treasure House of Images by Falcon Press, but like most Thelemic pubs it mentions at least on the cover or confusing preface, Crowley as the author.

So did Fuller write it all?

I would love also to read his books on Yoga and Qabalah. I had no idea he wrote more than Star. Are those other books hard to find?

Best,
    Chris

Falcon
    Participant

You are welcome brother christibrany. I served in the Light Division of the British Army (I was living in Cornwall at the time and General Fuller spent his last days in Falmouth, Cornwall. He was born in Sussex and I now live in Sussex) and I too have long taken an interest in J.F.C. Fuller.

“Fuller has one rather astounding distinction among Aspirants of the A∴A∴ – that is, he is the author of the only Class A document, officially adopted by Crowley, that was entirely penned by another; that is Liber 963, ‘The Treasure-House of Images’. This work was published in Equinox Volume I number 3 in 1910. And, though listed as Frater N.S.F. (Non Sine Fulmine) 5=6 and Cancellarius in the imprimatur, Fuller was just a Probationer at the time.”

I have rare original copies of his books on Yoga and Qabalah but you may be able to find reprints on Amazon or eBay.

elitemachinery
    Participant

@falcon said:

Indeed, a new book about J.F.C. Fuller would be very interesting. I have two old out of print publications on his life and works

any details of his death given in these books? was there an obituary printed anywhere? was he living in USA when he died?

Falcon
    Participant

@elitemachinery Intellectual General includes details of his death. He was in Falmouth, Cornwall when he died.

Falcon
    Participant

I also have a copy of J.F.C. Fuller’s essay Magic and War which was originally published in The Occult Review. Even after he joined Sir Oswald Mosley’s British Union of Fascists in 1934 (as a prominent officer of the B.U.F. Policy Directorate) after the Olympia meeting he continued to take an interest in and write about occult subjects. The crank Arnold Spencer Leese of the tiny rival Imperial Fascist League attacked Crowley as well as Fuller and Mosley in his monthly newspaper “The Fascist” as “soft on occultism, freemasonry and the Jews”.

The Black Arts by J.F.C. Fuller:

https://darkbooks.org/pp.php?v=1457539438

SatansAdvocaat
    Participant

Greetings All, have not posted here for some time.

I have no wish to dampen this enthusiasm for J.F.C. Fuller, nor to detract from the content of The Treasure House of Images, but this is actually a Class B Publication.
    Only the short introductory A Note upon Liber DCCCCLXIII and presumably written by Crowley, is in Class A.

Falcon
    Participant

Greetings SatansAdvocaat good to see you back here, I have been away for a while also (health and family issues and exploring Islam).

My own view is that the Class A publication A Note upon Liber DCCCCLXIII is also written by J.F.C. Fuller but I am enjoying the debate here with yourself and other LAShTALians.

Durga23
    Participant

One of my favorite books by Fuller is The Foundations of the Science of War (n.d. ~1925)… first chapters… “The Alchemy of War” and “The Method of Science”… a great read and available in reprints.

frater_anubis
    Participant

J F C Fuller developed the British Army’s armoured warfare doctrine. He was also an accomplished painter of occult themed images. For years I had a print of his “Knowlege and Conversation” on my wall but it disturbed my cleaner so I took it down.

Personally, I always thought he was into warfare and death and destruction and the dark side. But I liked the symetricality of his painting

Falcon
    Participant

ANNOUNCEMENT

I have started negotiations with a book publisher regarding writing a new full length biography of J.F.C. Fuller and they are interested. I envisage this project will take some 12-24 months or longer to complete involving research, interviews and so on and so forth. I have two ideas for the book 1) A biography written by myself exploring the whole gamut of J.F.C. Fuller’s life and his occultism, magick, military career, politics and art 2) A collection of essays about J.F.C. Fuller from various contributors including Thelemites, Occultists, Members of the A.’.A.’. and O.T.O., Military Veterans, Artists, Political Theorists and ideally Academics (and fellow LAShTALians possibly who have expressed an interest in his life and works?) and additionally one essay written by myself and an introduction written by the publisher or another author.

Note: I would write from a fairly neutral position regarding General Fuller’s politics as I don’t see the point in writing a polemic against a man whose art and writings on magick and the occult I respect despite his controversial political worldview.

I have set up a dedicated gmail address for all inquiries and submissions of essays/ideas/information/research material/suggestions etc:

fraterfalcon418@gmail.com

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged-in to reply to this topic.