Home Forums Thelema Thelema A new resident of the City of the Pyramids!: Los

Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 475 total)
  • Author

Tiger
    Participant

gem of scintillant Bedfordshire folk wisdom that, without a shadow of a doubt, makes you think.
    nice . thanks Michael.

I Think Arthur emerson would do a much better job or execution of Thelemic scientific skeptical philosophy Than Los and Erwin. But eventually i might read trough their muck to get some gems though some say its a waste of time.

I just don’t see the Mastery in Los, I see a little glimmer of Mastery in Erwin but maybe someday.

dom your lucky you are getting pointers .
    Even though they are aimed at you I try to benefit from them .

Tiger
    Participant

The female perpective .

sorry to get side tracked

dom
    Participant

Ah yes Bedfordshire, the county that gave us….errr…

Shiva
    Participant

D: Ah yes Bedfordshire, the county that gave us….

Lord Bedford, no less, whose shire reeve (“sheriff”) would arrest impudent rascals who defame the name of said Lord.

Michael Staley
    Participant

@dom

Ah yes Bedfordshire, the county that gave us….errr…

It is said by some that Bedford – the principal town in the county – was used by Crowley as the basis for the City of the Pyramids. Thus without Bedfordshire, the little pile of dust formerly known as Los would have nowhere to reside, but would be condemned to drift through the cosmos homeless, ultimately to be dispersed.

And we wouldn’t want that, now would we?

dom
    Participant

@shiva

Lord Bedford, no less, whose shire reeve (“sheriff”) would arrest impudent rascals who defame the name of said Lord.

Impressed by obsolete titles eh?

Oh dear.

@tiger

I don’t get it.

Michael Staley
    Participant

@dom

Impressed by obsolete titles eh?
    Oh dear.

Another woooosh moment. Shiva was joking; there is no such person as Lord Bedford. There is a Duke of Bedford who owns massive swathes of property, much of it in London.

Shiva
    Participant

MS: There is a Duke of Bedford

Yeah, him! Duke, Lord, Earl, Vicar: I, being Yankee-doodle, get these titles mixed up … probably due to too much memorizing of names and titles from the grim-wars that Jamie sold me when we were back in the bathroom, smoking and telling tales of dirty magic.

His title is not important. What is important is his Shire Reeve, who surely will be coming for somedom.

Tiger
    Participant

“Surely the contortions necessary to fit “The Abyss”, etc. into the “Skeptical Thelema” materialist-reductionist belief-system must count?”

“Anyone else not understand that statement?”

What did you not get about it ?

Jamie J Barter
    Participant

@tiger :

dom you’re lucky you are getting pointers.

Do you mean getting pointers — or pointed sticks?

Boom, tish!
    N Joy

Tiger
    Participant

Do you mean getting pointers — or pointed sticks? .
    Both, but dom seems to avoid both or at least he maybe listening but his trying hasn’t come up to par yet .

So dom there is a thing called a kick drum and a symbol high hat that might tune you into what hear .

Shiva
    Participant

T; but dom seems to avoid both

One of the earliest maxims presented to me by my teacher was, “You will never win an argument with a materialist.”

Do you (all) get this one? Erwin, Los, & Dom are bulletproof. Your (and my) pointed sticks and sharp replies are either ignored or rebuffed with snideities.

Bulletproof! Immune to correction.

dom
    Participant

Pointed stick?!!

lol

Tiger
    Participant

How often do you use your shooter dom ?

𝕛𝕘
    Participant

I just can not resist because no one else has mentioned it – and I guess Michael is too modest to point out what everyone on God’s Good Earth Knows – Bedfordshire (cf Domesday Book) is not only the birthplace of Frodo and Bilbo – and the very Shire from which Bilbo headed out on his 111ᵗʰ birthday in the Year of Our Shire 1418 precipitating the Events of the Lord of the Rings – it is also the Shire in which Paul Bunyan was born (at Bunyan’s End of course).

Paul and his Ox Babe defeated the Conquistador Pirate Armada, exterminated the Amalekites in the Revolutionary War, beheaded the cannibal Indians, chopped down the Sequoia and Redwood Forests, and built the Big Rock Candy Mountain. For those who are not of these parts and who have not witnessed first hand the praeter-human primates we kill everyday – consider – the father of Paul Bunyan was John Bunyan author of Pilgrim’s Progress – and the son of Paul Bunyan was John “Hammer” Henry

It is of course to the uprightness of the father to which we must look to trace the origin of the righteousness of his heirs (cf John Barleycorn and Johnny Appleseed). If I may cite Wikipedia World Wide Web

The Pilgrim’s Progress from This World, to That Which Is to Come is a 1678 Christian allegory written by John Bunyan. It is regarded as one of the most significant works of religious English literature,[1][2][3][4] has been translated into more than 200 languages, and has never been out of print.[5][6] It has also been cited as the first novel written in English.[7]

Bunyan began his work while in the Bedfordshire county prison for violations of the Conventicle Act, which prohibited the holding of religious services outside the auspices of the established Church of England. Early Bunyan scholars such as John Brown believed The Pilgrim’s Progress was begun in Bunyan’s second, shorter imprisonment for six months in 1675,[8] but more recent scholars such as Roger Sharrock believe that it was begun during Bunyan’s initial, more lengthy imprisonment from 1660 to 1672 right after he had written his spiritual autobiography, Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners.[9]”

Crowley no doubt will go down in history as a Fin de siècle μυσταγωγός and satyrical sophistician, but surely we can not but believe there is in his 13ᵗʰ Letter to Frieda Harris more than a hint to the googgle-eyed

“You inform me that the Earnest Inquirer of your ambit has been asking you to explain the difference between the A∴A∴ and the O.T.O.; and that although your own mind is perfectly clear about it, you find it impossible to induce a similar lucidity in his. You add that he is not (as one might at first suppose) a moron. And will I please do what I can about it?

Well, here’s the essential difference ab ovo usque ad mala; the A∴A∴ concerns the individual, his development, his initiation, his passage from “Student” to “Ipsissimus”; he has no contact of any kind with any other person except the Neophyte who introduces him, and any Student or Students whom he may, after becoming a Neophyte, introduce.

The details of this Pilgrim’s Progress are very fully set forth in One Star in Sight; and I should indeed be stupid and presumptuous to try to do better than that. But it is true that with regard to the O.T.O. there is no similar manual of instruction. In the Manifesto, and other Official Pronunciamenti, there are, it is true, what ought to be adequate data; but I quite understand that they are not as ordered and classified as one would wish; there is certainly room for a simple elementary account of the origins of the Order, of its principles, of its methods, of its design, of the Virtue of its successive Grades.”

[My emphasis] It is my humble judgment that this reference to Pilgrim’s Progress is no mere passing literary analogy to help Frieda grasp the concept of gradated starhood (“Thou shalt not approach my altar through steps”) – but one of a number of weighty clues Crowley liberally (I use the word in the first sense of the OED “In a liberal manner. As befits a gentleman or man of culture. Bountifully, freely, generously.”) wrote in his scrit indicating its teachings are to be taken in the opposite of their literal sense. I need not cite Blake in support of this thesis, nor those letters to Frieda which explicitly state it – for it is also well known that though it was forbidden Alick cunningly concealed a copy of Pilgrim’s Progress in the Book of the Law and daringly memorized it in childhood as if it were the Living Word of God itself.

Now now I hear opstreperous critics clamoring (algmor = alcmor = clamor?) who in their right mind entertains such notions? These critics have forgotten that prior to the day of my birth possession of a copy of Pilgrim’s Progess would get you burnt at the stake (in Rome) beheaded (in Paris) and drawn and quartered (in London) – for the authorities (be they the Inquisitors of the Church, the Professors of Philosophy, or the Mistresses of Henry) recognized the danger of its teachings to the orthodox trinitarianism of Jesus Liberté, égalité, fraternité, ou la mort as its emphasis on personal enlightenment (liberatio) inevitably anulls the other co-equal persons of the Trinity: Equality and Fraternity. Napoleon following Pilgrim’s Progess slew all of Europe in its Enlightenment, and Hitler following his example slew the identical ingrates in their further Enlightenment. (Difference being Napoleon has a gargantuan Casket in the Hotel D’Invalides and Hitler has not even an Urn) Thus it was Crowley hath hidden (as a cat in a hat as t’were) the stations of the pilgrim, her trials, tribulations, temptations, and terrors in the gentle salvific quasimodal sodality of our august holy order forever – for had he not hidden it – given the time of persecution and hell hunting in which he lived – it is certain he would have been skinned alive and fed to the borogoves

So although I confess a natural bias in judgment in favor of Bedfordshire – a bias primarily founded on the great love I bear for Bedfordshire Clangers – I think I am justified in saying that were it not for the righteousness of Bedfordshire there would be no Pilgrim’s Progress – and if no Pilgrim’s Progress Crowley would never have gone apostate – and instead of a prophet bearing a pantheon of recycled pagan gods the world would have had to content itself with the frothing severities of a mad Plymouth Brethern – and how would you have liked to have spent the next thousand years singing that Servile Friar’s Hadean Hosannas?

• This reply was modified 4 days, 1 hour ago by  𝕛𝕘.
    • This reply was modified 4 days, 1 hour ago by  𝕛𝕘. Reason: changed sophysician to sophistician
Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 475 total)
  • You must be logged-in to reply to this topic.