Home Forums Thelemic Culture and Crowley in the Media Crowley Clippings “…ageing hippies with a fondness for Aleister Crowley.”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author

belmurru
    Participant

Has Sarah Hughes identified the main demographic of regular posters on LAShTAL? –

“A new generation follows the pack as tarot makes a comeback”, Sarah Hughes, The Guardian, 19 August, 2018.

“It was once seen as the preserve of fairground fortune-tellers spouting platitudes from a booth, and ageing hippies with a fondness for Aleister Crowley and the occult. Now, the art of reading the tarot is back in style, with books, artwork and
    onstage readings captivating a new generation of fans.”.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/aug/19/new-generation-follows-pack-tarot-makes-comeback?CMP=fb_gu

A show of hands for those who fit the profile.

I am too young (52) to have been a real hippie, but I did attend my fair share of Grateful Dead shows, knew a lot of old timers, and otherwise tried to live like it was 1967 during the 1980s. I might therefore qualify.

• This topic was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  belmurru.
    • This topic was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  belmurru.

ignant666
    Participant

Well, i have had very long hair several times in my life, am fond of the grass of the Arabs, and am indubitably middle-aged at 59, but was never a “hippie” per se (and certainly have never been near a Dead show!)- so at least one “aging punk-rock skinhead with a fondness for AC and the occult” here among the hippies.

belmurru
    Participant

I’ll take that. Maybe “counter-culture types” is more like it, although it doesn’t have the snappiness of “ageing hippies”.

William Thirteen
    Participant

All of Us are lying in the Gutter, but some of Us are looking at The Star (ATU XVII)

dom
    Participant

photo crumb 4.jpg

photo crumb 3.jpg

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  dom.

dom
    Participant

Apologies for the double post

photo crumb 2.png

photo crumb 1.jpg

Is anyone familiar with Crumb and the other crazy artists that emerged that time?

What is a “hippy”? Did they exist before and after the 60s?

Jamie J Barter
    Participant

“Ageing hippies…”

The first hippies surfaced around ’65 as the psychoactive spawn of the beatniks: one of the celebrated credos attributed to them was “Never Trust Anyone Over 30”, which in effect meant anyone older than Elvis (who turned 30 in January that year). Now he’d be 83 & all the original baby-boomers retired and drawing their pensions. Most — went straight.

“…never got it off on that Revolution stuff… too many snags”
    Norma N Joy Conquest

dom
    Participant

What about indigenous peoples who were getting “psychoactive” centuries ago? You wouldn’t classify them as “hippies”?

I think the best way to get a definition of “hippy” is from the man who was literally at the centre of it all, Prof Leary.

Jamie J Barter
    Participant

What about indigenous peoples who were getting “psychoactive” centuries ago? You wouldn’t classify them as “hippies”?
    I wasn’t talking about them as the “psychoactive spawn of the beatniks”, though… it was “cultural-specific”.

I think the best way to get a definition of “hippy” is from the man who was literally at the centre of it all, Prof Leary.
    Are you referring to someone who has “turned on, tuned in and dropped off” — sorry, I meant “out” there?

“… But you won’t fool the Children of the Revolution” (Bolan)
    N Joy

Tiger
    Participant

The hippie witches used to come out to the concerts
    and ask
    hey did ya hear about the age of aquarius ?
    it’s the age of freedom, love and magic
    what’s your sign ?
    lets tune in turn on and drop out .

The Establishment got concerned
    and herded everyone to VR and AR ; instead .

Jamie J Barter
    Participant

And I forgot to mention, the original hippies were also recognizable by their being very anti-war (specifically the Vietnam war – the one about which Geezer Butler says Satan laughing spreads his wings): fucking the draft, burning their call-up papers, popping flowers inside the barrels of National Guardsmen’s rifles, and – er, attempting to levitate the Pentagon by means of sheer willpower alone.

“…No way?!”
    J Noy

dom
    Participant

The”hippy movement” gets put under the umbrella of “the left”, the “far left” more like the far out left.

Are the two inherently linked? I heard that feminism for example emerged from the mistreatment of the ladies in the hippy communes. Imagine that.

As for Manson haha basically a nazi. This is why Leary’s definitions clears things up as he looked at it from his neurocircuit theory perspective.

dom
    Participant

Leary classed “hippies” in a purely biological Darwinian sense. He classified them as people who had turned on their neurosomatic circuit (via marijuana and yoga and karezza). He later went on to say that there was a territorial type of hippie species prone to lower circuit behaviour such as looking for a fight. You know the type I’m sure.

Where does Crowley come into this? This “hippy” notion of pushing off to “do one’s thing” where no uptight status-driven commercial “square” can ruin your plans was surely his impetus to buy the Abbey of Thelema. I assume that he planned to stay there indefinitely but he planned to live off profits from his spiritual tutelage and book-selling so it could never have been a complete hermit colony.

ye are against the people” “we are not for the outcast and the unfit“.

Jamie J Barter
    Participant

@dom :

[Leary] later went on to say that there was a territorial type of hippie species prone to lower circuit behaviour such as looking for a fight.
    Hmm… very Peace, Love & Understanding – I don’t think! Where did Leary say this exactly?

You know the type I’m sure.
    Ah yes — the hippies that were into War, Hate & Confusion!

[…] surely his impetus to buy the Abbey of Thelema.
    Except that he never bought it or was going to buy it, he was a tenant. Maybe if he had, his ‘territorial’ rights may have been such that he could have continued to stay there. And then again maybe not.

I assume that he planned to stay there indefinitely but he planned to live off profits from his spiritual tutelage
    Which would have completely run counter to the ethics and policy of the A.’. A.’. however.

so it could never have been a complete hermit colony.
    Some form of a proto-commune, perhaps, but wherever does it say that the Abbey was ever meant to be a “complete hermit colony”?

“we are not for the outcast and the unfit“.
    Are you suggesting that (ageing) hippies are amongst the outcast and unfit? If so, why would that be but if not, what is meant by the inclusion of this extract here?

Hairsplittingly yours, as ever 🙂
    Joy N

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  Jamie J Barter.
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  Jamie J Barter. Reason: enquiring further within

ignant666
    Participant

hippies sign

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged-in to reply to this topic.