Aleister Crowley’s Cocktail Recipes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

Home Forums Aleister Crowley Biography Aleister Crowley’s Cocktail Recipes

• Author

Alex_Bennett
    Participant

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

In view of the Thelemic Symposium being held this autumn we are compiling Crowley’s Cocktail Recipes for which he was famous for at one time. Most of his recipes had things in them that are unfortunately due to these extremely oppressive times we live in today, illegal at the moment. If people can add to any of these please do, below is a list of all the ones I have heard of:

Kubla Khan No.2
    Gin
    Vermouth
    Laudanum
    [An interesting variation on a Martini]

Eagle Tail
    Aged Brandy
    Old Kirsch
    Absinthe
    Tabasco (few drops)
    Crushed Ice
    Syrup Of Ether
    [Meant to be drunk down in one, nowhere near a naked flame [!!!], drink ice cold water just before else the ether will explode, as it evaporates in your mouth.]

Unknown Name
    Raspberries soaked overnight in Grand Marnier
    Floated in Pink Champagne

Alex

Love is the law, love under will.[/u][/i]

lashtal
    Keymaster

There’s an article on them in the issue of Fortean Times published here: http://www.lashtal.com/nuke/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-t-2554-highlight-cocktail.phtml

BlueKephra
    Participant

Can you do his curry recipes too? I’m dying to try one……

N.C.Bishop-Culpeper
    Participant

Herewith 3 more;

6urious 6rowley 6oncoctions

1) Cocktail (for cold nights or early morning breakfast before hunting) Ratan Devi.

1/3 grain Strychine Sulfate
    2 tablespoons Absinthe
    4 tablespoons 1811 (or 1848) Cognac
    12 drops Mcilhenny’s Tabasco Sauce

Shake thoroughly. Drink the cocktail at a single swallow, and repeat until a sensation of interior warmth proves that the danger of chill has been averted.

2) Cafe Hilarion.

2 peaches cut in quarters
    1/4 pint yellow Chartreuse
    1 pint best Moselle
    1 pint Perier water

Place the peaches in a jug. Cover with a little powdered sugar. Fill the jug with ice. Pour in other ingredients, and serve.

3) Bunyip Cup.

Half fill a large jug with very carefully selected strawberries. Powder with sugar. On this place a layer of 2 inches of cracked ice. Add 1 small bottle of Grand Marnier Cordon Rouge. Set this aside in refrigerator for 15 minutes. Now fill jug with Pommery & Greno 1904 very thoroughly iced. Stir and serve.

Nick.

tony1983112
    Participant

well tonight I made the “Unknown Name
    Raspberries soaked overnight in Grand Marnier
    Floated in Pink Champagne ” It is outstanding!! I am going to have to add this to my list!

the_real_simon_iff
    Participant

93!

Found a variation of the “Eagle Tail” called “Eagle Tail Maya”: Old Brandy, Old Kirsch, Absinthe. Add (i) a few drops of Tabasco Sauce (ii) Syrup of Ether to taste. Shake with cracked ice. 666

Re-reading it I see the only variation is the adding of “Maya” to its name, well… anyway…

Love=Law
    Lutz

Camlion
    Participant

One certainly requires a well stocked bar to enjoy some of these cocktails! I get Absinthe from an ex-wife in Prague, but some of the others are even more challenging. ๐Ÿ˜†

Sol2Sol
    Participant
    "Camlion" wrote:
    One certainly requires a well stocked bar to enjoy some of these cocktails! I get Absinthe from an ex-wife in Prague, but some of the others are even more challenging. ๐Ÿ˜†

I’ve been drinking absinthe for a few years now, and one of the best places I’ve found to purchase from is
    http://www.absintheonline.com/

Thankfully, the US market is slowly starting to get some decent offerings. Leopold Bros and Obsello come to mind as good choices in the States. However, I prefer to order the better choices in Europe.

adonia444
    Participant

Eagle Tail
    Aged Brandy
    Old Kirsch
    Absinthe
    Tabasco (few drops)
    Crushed Ice
    Syrup Of Ether
    [Meant to be drunk down in one, nowhere near a naked flame [!!!], drink ice cold water just before else the ether will explode, as it evaporates in your mouth.]

It explodes? Really? ๐Ÿ˜ฏ How are we defining “explode” here..I mean like “no more bottom jaw” explode or like “pop rocks” explode. That’s just..well strange is what it is. Why would you want to drink such a thing ? I’m not gonna risk blowing my face off for a cocktail, you know? It must be a pop rocks kind of explode. Regardless, Has anyone here made this…and or seen it go wrong..(or right I supose…I’m totally curious for some reason)? LOL. God that’s strange to me..an exploding cocktail. Hummm, sounds stressful to me, which would be tad counter productive in MY drinking world.

Interesting, although I dont think I’d be willing to try such a thing.

Kym

Camlion
    Participant
    "Sol2Sol" wrote:
    "Camlion" wrote:

I’ve been drinking absinthe for a few years now, and one of the best places I’ve found to purchase from is
    http://www.absintheonline.com/

Thankfully, the US market is slowly starting to get some decent offerings. Leopold Bros and Obsello come to mind as good choices in the States. However, I prefer to order the better choices in Europe.

Yes, that is an excellent website.

amadan-De
    Participant

adonia444 says;

Quote: โ€บ Select โ€บโ€น Expand

Eagle Tail
    Aged Brandy
    Old Kirsch
    Absinthe
    Tabasco (few drops)
    Crushed Ice
    Syrup Of Ether

It explodes? Really? How are we defining “explode” here..I mean like “no more bottom jaw” explode or like “pop rocks” explode. That’s just..well strange is what it is. Why would you want to drink such a thing ? I’m not gonna risk blowing my face off for a cocktail, you know? It must be a pop rocks kind of explode. Regardless, Has anyone here made this…and or seen it go wrong..(or right I supose…I’m totally curious for some reason)? LOL. God that’s strange to me..an exploding cocktail. Hummm, sounds stressful to me, which would be tad counter productive in MY drinking world.

I suspect that it is not suggesting a “pop rocks” style explosion but something more alarming… Though probably not as far as “no bottom jaw”. Are the bracketed safety instructions original? What is the source?

I ask because back in the 80s, when I was operating a “psychedelic” light show, one of the toys we used was Ether slides which meant working with bottled Ether and a hot slide machine. (We got legal permission to buy it in large bottles from the chemist as we could demonstrate a non-recreational use!!). No explosions occured so the suggestion of spontaneous ones following contact with body temperature rings slightly alarmist to me. The slides work by trapping drops of ether between glass in ink and then heating them so the trapped gas expands creating fantastic random patterns. So we had ether fumes being generated within a very hot slide machine and no explosions (one very happy machine operator though!).

I can see how the chilled ether would expand on contact with your mouth and could possibly produce an aerosal effect – spraying the liquid back out under pressure (if your mouth was closed). I don’t really see how the threatened ignition would happen though (cigars would probably not be too good an idea).

As to sounding “stressful” – we did find that ether has the effect of removing stress almost completely ๐Ÿ˜€ I well remember an evening where a club organiser who had just lost ยฃ2000 on a single evening found that he could not stop grinning and even offered to personally help carry equipment across town by hand after a quick sniff of the bottle…

Proteus
    Participant

I get Absinthe from an ex-wife in Prague, but some of the others are even more challenging.

Where is your most challenging ex, Camlion?

Absinthe, Prague, what’s not to love โ“ โ—

tai
    Participant
    "N.C.Bishop-Culpeper" wrote:
    Herewith 3 more;

6urious 6rowley 6oncoctions

1) Cocktail (for cold nights or early morning breakfast before hunting) Ratan Devi.

1/3 grain Strychine Sulfate
    2 tablespoons Absinthe
    4 tablespoons 1811 (or 1848) Cognac
    12 drops Mcilhenny’s Tabasco Sauce

Shake thoroughly. Drink the cocktail at a single swallow, and repeat until a sensation of interior warmth proves that the danger of chill has been averted.

The instructions should read “repeat until a sensation of interior warmth proves the danger of chill has been averted and walk toward the light where your loved ones are waiting”

Melissa
    Participant

Hi
    Thanks all,

Some of these sound delicious, and not far off established cocktails, but the jaw exploder and strychnine sulphate sound a bit over the top, even before a morning’s hunting. I remember strychnine well in LSD, horrible stuff, made the trip flash all over the place, I wonder how much and what effect these proportions would induce in alcohol. Re: Laudenum, that seems to be the holy grail of the romantic poets bibendum, has anyone ever been able to experiment wth this stuuff? Obviously I no longer experiment in such substances, but there was time when I was interested in the changes in consciousness they produce, and I wonder if any Lashtal members have any anecdotes thy might share about such experiences ?

mika
    Participant
    "Melissa" wrote:
    Re: Laudenum, that seems to be the holy grail of the romantic poets bibendum, has anyone ever been able to experiment wth this stuuff? Obviously I no longer experiment in such substances, but there was time when I was interested in the changes in consciousness they produce, and I wonder if any Lashtal members have any anecdotes thy might share about such experiences ?

A partner of mine recently had the joyous experience of passing a hellish kidney stone. In the ER, after an hour or so of tests, lab work, mild painkillers which did little for him, and frequent, loud, groaning moaning cursing and screaming, a nurse finally showed up with a syringe of laudenum. Or as he said to us: “Don’t worry, now you’re getting thegood stuff from Afghanistan.”

According to my friend, it worked spectacularly for the pain, but otherwise was not what he would consider suitable for ‘recreational purposes’. Too mind-numbing. Perhaps with lower doses the changes in consciousness would be more manageable, rather than like getting smothered with a 10-ton pillow. But in his and my experience even lower doses of milder opiates don’t inspire fun/productive/interesting consciousness experimentation. I even distinguish between indica and sativa since the former is more opiate-like and the latter more psychedelic, so when using herb for medical purposes, indica is preferred and when using it recreationally, sativa is preferred.

I suppose it depends on how your mind/body works – for me, opiates knock me out rather than spark creativity, cause no dreams rather than interesting dreams, inspire laying around rather than doing something creative, so they are not what I would consider to be fun or magical mind expanding tools.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Aleister Crowley’s Cocktail Recipes’ is closed to new replies.