Home Forums Aleister Crowley Biography Amalantrah: Will Yorick be any use

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author

Elsie Gray Parker
    Participant

Michael Staley: They’d not met at the time of the Amalantrah Working (1918), Chris. I think they did not meet until 1928.

that’s great info actually thanks – just before MiT&P was published?

Michael Staley
    Participant

Yes. It was Yorke who paid for Magick in Theory and Practice to be printed. I believe that unfortunately the printed books were sent to Forthampton Court – home of the aristocratic Yorke family – and thus came to the attention of Yorke’s father, precipitating an almighty row.

Jamie J Barter
    Participant

and thus came to the attention of Yorke’s father, precipitating an almighty row.

Like with Regardie when his sister blew the gaff over his travelling to gay Paree (shocking!) to become Secretary to The Beast (double shocking!!) Oh, the incontinent rage of the father(s)! Maybe their transgressions and replacement by A.C. was all very — Freudian?

Diagnostically yours
    N Joy

OKontrair
    Participant

Elsie Gray Parker

As well as the Yorick in Shakespeare’s Hamlet a character of the same name appears in Laurence Sterne’s Life and opinions of Tristram Shandy. If you don’t have it to hand the Wikipedia entry might be enough:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Life_and_Opinions_of_Tristram_Shandy,_Gentleman

AC knew and liked the book. So much so that he wrote (1917-18) a pastiche called Not the Life and Adventures of Sir Roger Bloxham. This book has a chapter called Alas Poor Yorick.

This is unpublished but appears as an appendix to someone’s MA thesis and is on the net at:

http://escholarshare.drake.edu/bitstream/handle/2092/688/dt1991CNSII.pdf?sequence=1

None of this gives you an answer but it may be a line of enquiry as to what Yorick meant to AC at the time.

OK

Elsie Gray Parker
    Participant

Ok thanks everyone, and keep letting me know if you have any more ideas, you will be acknowledged.
    love is the law love under will

Horemakhet
    Participant

Yorick was a pseudonym for Laurence Sterne himself. Before Tristram Shandy he used that name for his work. Of course AC was aware of this!

Elsie Gray Parker
    Participant

Horemakhet that’s great info and will be acknowledged. Have you got a citation for this fact?

Horemakhet
    Participant

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sermons_of_Laurence_Sterne

…That’s just a start, & me being rather lazy, but more than enough.

Jamie J Barter
    Participant

Eh?  Sorry Elsie, I don’t get it at all — yes, I like Laurence Sterne too but how is Tristram Shandy/ Not … Sir Roger Bloxham the answer to this aspect of the Amalantrah working (of “will it be of any use to me”)?!  I could have told you that right back at the beginning as well (before everyone & his dog is now having second thoughts & deciding to pour on to this thread in comparison with your other Amalantrah questions) if I thought that was what you were looking for but I didn’t (and still don’t) see how Trist or Blox are at all relevant to the query!? 
    Plus even given that they are in any way, how would the “inverted G perhaps teth” also fit in?

If you should need more biographical facts on A.C. and e.g. his relations with Yorke, etc., then the best biographies to go to for information are Kaczynski or Churton which would then hopefully contain all you’d want.

Good luck!
    N Joy

Michael Staley
    Participant

I didn’t (and still don’t) see how Trist or Blox are at all relevant to the query!?

The question was simply to identify who Yorick might be in the sentence “Will Yorick be of any use to me?”. There’s no suggestion in that simple enquiry that anything written by Sterne, let alone Crowley’s Roger Bloxham story, has a bearing on the Amalantrah Working.

Elsie Gray Parker
    Participant

“The question was simply to identify who Yorick might be in the sentence “Will Yorick be of any use to me?”. There’s no suggestion in that simple enquiry that anything written by Sterne, let alone Crowley’s Roger Bloxham story, has a bearing on the Amalantrah Working”

Precisely.

Elsie Gray Parker
    Participant

“Yorick was a pseudonym for Laurence Sterne himself. Before Tristram Shandy he used that name for his work. Of course AC was aware of this!”

seems to to sum it up nicely!

Elsie Gray Parker
    Participant

Thackeray, W. M. “Sterne and Goldsmith” Roundabout Papers. American News Co. 1885. p. 524

Thanks Horemakhet

Jamie J Barter
    Participant

“The question was simply to identify who Yorick might be in the sentence “Will Yorick be of any use to me?”. There’s no suggestion in that simple enquiry that anything written by Sterne, let alone Crowley’s Roger Bloxham story, has a bearing on the Amalantrah Working”
    Precisely.

Nonetheless, although I feel myself to perhaps be in a minority I continue to contend that in the context of the thread title and the extract from the working quoted, the implication presented therefrom still begs the question of how or of what use Yorick would be to Crowley in terms of (a bearing upon) the actual Amalantrah Working itself. And where the relevance of Bloxham / Tristram Shandy and/or Laurence Sterne remains obscure & indeterminate at best.

N Joy

Elsie Gray Parker
    Participant

“T. asks: “W.Y.B.A.U.T.M.?” ((Will Yorick[1] be any use to me?))
    Ans.: “T.T.T. (In Greek Qabalah) ” – “Yes.”
    I see an inverted G, perhaps teth.

T.: “What use?”
    Ans.: The wizard has a boy in his arms and turns him so that I see his back. He is a farmer boy. There is a baby in the wizard’s5 arms whom the w. “teaches to spread the law”….”

[1] Perhaps A.C.’s “(1917-18) … pastiche [of Tristram Shandy] called Not the Life and Adventures of Sir Roger Bloxham” a chapter of which is called “Alas Poor Yorick.” (OKontrair, July 12, 2017, lashtal.com). “Laurence Sterne used that name for his work” before Tristram Shandy, and “of course AC was aware of this.”(Horemakhet, July 15, lashtal.com). See Thackeray 1885 page 524. –EGP.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged-in to reply to this topic.