Home Forums Thelema Thelema Atlantis, lost civilizations, precession, Hancock and Thelema.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 75 total)
  • Author

dom
    Participant

Are you familiar with the theories of lost civilizations that mainstream academia laugh at? Basically Graham Hancock is the best person to check out for this sort of thing. It all relates to Atlantis myths, ancient megaliths, stone circles, myths about Niburu and Marduk, Gods (ie aliens) enslaving the ancestors of man and maybe engaging on genetic engineering on our ancestors, the real meaning of ancient flood myths, the 24000 year precessional wobble, the Grail, the false timeline of accepted academia, advanced technology edited out of history, the face pyramid on Mars, Giza and why it was really built, the 2012 Mayan Long Count, the Templars and the Masonic knowledge eon the dollar bill and much much more.. all thrilling stuff eh?

This sort of thing

What does knowledge of these Graham Hancock theories of lost civilizations have to do with Thelema, Liber Al and finding one’s True Will?

• This topic was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by  dom.

Michael Staley
    Participant

What does knowledge of these Graham Hancock theories of lost civilizations have to do with Thelema, Liber Al and finding one’s True Will?

For you – given your adherence to the “Skeptical Thelema” outlook, where Thelema is apparently nothing more than a technique for detecting one’s “autherntic preferences” – the answer would be “none at all”. For those of us Thelemites who are occultists, then we find things like this to be interesting.

I don’t assess everything by asking myself “what has this to do with finding my True Will?”. There are several reasons for this.

In the first place, I do not think that True Will is something I look for; rather, it finds me.

In the second place, by following an apparently oblique or obscure path, I might stumble across something which turns out to be of great value to me along what might be termed my main path; I can provide examples if you wish.

In the third place, I have plenty of interests outside of Thelema, such as Advaita, Buddhism, Taoism, Spare, etc.

In the fourth place, I have plenty of other interests such as Arsenal Football Club, the 1840 Two-penny Blue stamp, politics, walking, running, etc which, again, I do not evaluate in terms of their Thelemic utility.

dom
    Participant

In the second place, by following an apparently oblique or obscure path, I might stumble across something which turns out to be of great value to me along what might be termed my main path; I can provide examples if you wish.

Yrs please.

Michael Staley
    Participant

@dom

OK, one example which springs to mind:

Around 2007 I attended Andy Collins’s ‘Psychic Questing’ Conference in Avebury. One of the tasks we were set was to locate an item which Andy and his wife had buried. I decided to try something I had never tried before, which was to “ask” the land. I thus closed my eyes and mentally made my appeal. Immediately after, I heard cries from a flock of birds overhead. I opened my eyes, looked in the direction of the sound of the birds, and directly in my vision was the base of one of many large standing stones in this particular field. I then knew that this was where the item was buried.

And thus it proved to be. There were thirty or forty participants in this particular project, and through several stages of elimination there were two of us who got it right. The other was a woman who was dowsing with a pendulum.

This incident made me more keenly aware of instinct and intuition, and of how interconnected all phenomena are. It’s one thing to know this intellectually, quite another to feel it and for the insight to permeate awareness. As such it was one more step along the way to where I am now, which is an ever-keener awareness of the affinity of Advaita and Thelema.

dom
    Participant

@MichaelStaley

This incident made me more keenly aware of instinct and intuition, and of how interconnected all phenomena are. It’s one thing to know this intellectually, quite another to feel it and for the insight to permeate awareness. As such it was one more step along the way to where I am now, which is an ever-keener awareness of the affinity of Advaita and Thelema.

Thanks for sharing that. How does it relate to the Hancokian preoccupations documented in the OP ( Atlantis myths, ancient megaliths, stone circles, myths about Niburu and Marduk etc), and their relationships to Thelema and True Will? Maybe your connectivity to the land is the same activity that led people to construct Silbury Hill and Stonehenge?

Michael Staley
    Participant

How does it relate to the Hancokian preoccupations documented in the OP ( Atlantis myths, ancient megaliths, stone circles, myths about Niburu and Marduk etc), and their relationships to Thelema and True Will?

It doesn’t have a direct link. The anecdate was intended as an illustration of how something which might be considered oblique to one’s path has a direct impact.

dom
    Participant

What about these number codes built into the pyramids and myths? Were these numbers placed there as a way of showing us that they knew how large the planet was and exactly where they were on it in terms of latitude and longitude?

• This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by  dom.

Shiva
    Participant

D: Were these numbers placed there as a way of showing us that they knew how large the planet was and exactly where they were on it in terms of latitude and longitude?

Probably. Who knows? It was a long time ago.

dom
    Participant

18 minutes in this lecture, we have maps which clearly show Antarctica but these maps were drawn centuries before it was discovered. Furthermore they are said to be based on even earlier sources.

Bearded white men in central America centuries before Columbus?

52 mins in, ancient architectural anomalous knowledge of the value of Pi? However it is accepted that Egyptians had a general estimate of Pi. I think Hancock is disputing that.

Anyway stones weighing 400 tonnes moved around by apparently Neolithic peoples in south America?

57 mins in, astronomical precessional maths codes placed in Pyramid’s design.

I’m surprised that AC never discussed this sort of thing.

ignant666
    Participant

David aka dom asked my opinion of this Hancock person recently in another thread. Having never heard of him, i did not reply.

Now that i’ve seen a bit of his work discussed here, i read the wikipedia article about him, and also the one about his “Giza-Orion correlation theory”, and the “Talk” pages associated with both articles.

He appears to be a credulous idiot, a fast-buck artist taking advantage of such persons, or most likely, a bit of both (“getting high on his own supply”, as the late Mr. Smalls so eloquently put it).

The BBC Standards department’s response to a claim by Hancock that his work had been misrepresented sums up his work:

The programme had created the impression that he [Hancock] was an intellectual fraudster who had put forward half baked theories and ideas in bad faith, and that he was incompetent to defend his own arguments. Adjudication: [The Commission] finds no unfairness to Mr Hancock in these matters.

How can anyone, let alone our doughty acolyte of “skepticism”, take his nonsense seriously?

One reason “AC never discussed this sort of thing” may be that he died many decades before Hancock et al. made up all this stuff.

Tiger
    Participant

I’m surprised that AC never discussed this sort of thing.

How does this sort of thing help Thelema ?

belmurru
    Participant

Although too early for Hancock (or Erich Von Däniken, or Zechariah Sitchin), AC might have read Augustus Leplongeon, who published crackpot theories on the Maya in the 1880s. It is to him we owe “the lost continent of Mu”; he thought the Egyptians were descendants of the Maya, that the Maya civilization goes back 35,000 years, etc.

AC did write on Atlantis, although obviously, like with his non-committal attitude to the reality of reincarnation, he could have argued it was only a kind of useful metaphor.

Generally he followed scientific consensus, but Egypt is relevant to magick, so I don’t know how he would have treated Hancock et al., or the new mythology of extraterrestrial aliens, which began developing shortly after his death.

dom
    Participant

Thanks belmurru. This sort of knowledge is said to have been known by Masons, define them as you will so I would’ve thought that AC would have had access to it.

Ignant, I think you need to do more than one wikipedia article. Read some books or at least check some youtube lectures on this subject before you side with corrupt organizations like the BBC.

There is interesting possible evidence for some sort of third party civilization that maybe founded Egypt and the great South American civilizations. The similarity in their religious imagery is startling particularly the Oannes ‘man bag’. The similarities in the number codes placed in their architecture (might I add primitive people moving 400 tonne weights with rope and then somehow hoisting them up) is also pretty odd.

Are you aware that the builders of Giza left number codes in it which strongly suggest they knew where Giza was/is in relation to the earth ie the exact longitudinal and latitudinal mappings? A lot of these megaliths definitely seem far older than modern archeologists are prepared to accept ie archeological ego just won’t let go.

Having said that I’m not sure about those carvings of mastodons in those temples.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by  dom.
    • This reply was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by  dom.

ignant666
    Participant

No, david, i will not require further information about Hancock’s work to conclude he is a practitioner of woo-woo, pseudo-science, and crack-pottery. He is an obvious loony or fraud. Do you have no capacity for critical thinking whatever?

Where is S.’. H.’. Fra. Los when we need him? I can’t imagine your former “Master” would react any better to this recent enthusiasm than he did to your advocacy of “Space Migration, Increased Intelligence, Life Extension” a few years back.

Tiger
    Participant

D: Were these numbers placed there as a way of showing us that they knew how large the planet was and exactly where they were on it in terms of latitude and longitude?

Probably. Who knows? It was a long time ago.

A long time ago can flash by fast .
    It’s good keep notes in the Lab .
    The biped seems to be reaching the stage of navigating the labyrinth and reading the diagram by referencing it to things it’s figured out on it’s own .

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 75 total)
  • You must be logged-in to reply to this topic.