Birthday celebratio...

Birthday celebration?  

RSS

dom
 dom
(@dom)
19/10/2019 12:16 pm  

My crazy young Muslim friend was telling us that (in one of his usual excitable rants) that he was going to drive 50 miles after work to attend a big lecture by an esteemed Immam on whether or not the Prophet's birthday should be celebrated.

Someone posted something the other day (I'll admit I couldn't tell you when Crowley was born) saying Happy Crowleymas or something and I thought no it's just missing the point and veers towards hero-worship.

A prophet is just a human tool. I don't care when that prophet was born and I'm not looking for a new Christ.

There are recommended feast days in AL 2 (35 - 44) yes and note that there is nothing about the sacred conception (lol) between the chosen ones Edward Crowley and Emily Bertha Bishop.

mal
 mal
(@mal)
19/10/2019 7:22 pm  

It's good to be self-aware and not fall into that trap.
However, there could be occult significance to the feasts regarding the prophet which are besides hero worship. That would be up for personal interpretation and not worth arguing to try to convince anyone who's right as it's a personal relationship with AL.
That aside, remarking on Crowley's birthday isn't the same as having a closet shrine to the man or organized structured enforced participation. Not that that would work with Thelemites anyways.

ReplyQuote
ignant666
(@ignant666)
19/10/2019 7:34 pm  

One of the better ideas of Laveyan Satanism is that one's own birthday is the anniversary of the creation of the world, as far as any of us know, and ought to be the highest holiday of all.

I notice when Columbus Day aka Crowleymas passes, but i don't celebrate either.

ReplyQuote
christibrany
(@christibrany)
22/10/2019 11:43 pm  

I like celebrating the Feasts for each chapter of AL by reading that day's chapter, meditating on it etc. I think it connects me to the current more.

But I couldn't care less about anyone's birthday in regards to making it a case for guru worship/ deification. Being aware of them is good, but being aware is good in general...

ReplyQuote
Shiva
(@shiva)
23/10/2019 4:11 am  

cs: Being aware of them is good, but being aware is good in general…

When they slip by you, the only signal given by the absence of mail in your box, and the name or reason for the holy day escapes you, this is the sign of the Great Liberation. It's too bad there's nobody home to realize the day is holy or care about its significance.

ReplyQuote
Tiger
(@tiger)
23/10/2019 6:06 am  

The secret chiefs had to converge
and change the course of the human condition;
from the promise of a heaven beyond the realm of the conceived
a prophet was chosen.
Signal
its significance.

ReplyQuote
christibrany
(@christibrany)
23/10/2019 4:38 pm  

When birthdays or 'holy' days slip by you sometimes you feel bad. But mostly okay because it most not have been important.

Speaking of birthdays, I find it kind of annoying to get birthday notices in my email, and then realise that person has been dead for a while now.

ReplyQuote
wormwood
(@wormwood)
25/10/2019 2:11 pm  

When birthdays or ‘holy’ days slip by you sometimes you feel bad. But mostly okay because it most not have been important.

True story Chris .. MOSTLY everything lines up when it is supposed to ... can you feel it? 😀

ReplyQuote
christibrany
(@christibrany)
25/10/2019 6:41 pm  

I feels it!

Apropos

Typo

Perhaps

Crowley would have been 144 this year. That's not THAT old. Apparently him and Jung were the same age.

ReplyQuote
Share: