Home Forums Thelemic Culture and Crowley in the Media Recommendations Bonzo Dog’s Crowley Reference

• This topic contains 24 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  dom 1 month ago.
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author

dom
    Participant

I trust that Shiva is correct. I’d like to hear more about this Roman numeral Gematria issue.

Michael Staley
    Participant

@dom

Shiva may perhaps be referring to instances such as LAShTAL = 93. To arrive at this, LA = 31 and of course its mirror, AL, also = 31. As for the middle bit, ShT, Crowley equates Shin with Atu XX, and T with Atu XI, thus total 31. Thus we get 31 + 31 + 31 = 93.

Personally I think this is a million miles away from the computations – I use the word advisedly – of the OP.

As a matter of interest, and despite Sepher Sephiroth, Crowley did not use gematria that much, and was – in the correspondence of 1936 between the two men – critical of Achad for what he considered his over-reliance on it.

Shiva
    Participant

MS: Shiva may perhaps be referring to instances such as LAShTAL = 93.

Exactly so.

dom
    Participant

@shiva

How much evidence if any do you have for AC fudging Gematria with Roman Numerals?

Michael Staley
    Participant

@dom

I think Shiva’s already answered that question in the post above yours. The LAShTAL instance appeared in Magick in Theory and Practice. I wouldn’t call it “fudging” though, since it was a word that – so far as I know – Crowley coined.

Besides, it’s not as if Gematria is precision engineering. Dictionaries such as Sepher Sephiroth give a number of different and diverse words totalling a specific number. It’s a question of context. A qabalist is generally trying to establish a case, to underpin an insight that he or she has already had; clearly, the appropriate materials will be selected for the construction.

ignant666
    Participant

I think what david is asking for is an instance where AC used letters in a word or name as Roman numerals directly, as did the OP (the two VIs in “Vivian” each being 6, eg), rather than using Roman numeral values of letters, as in the “LAShTAL” example.

Michael Staley
    Participant

@ignant666

Thanks for the clarification. I can’t recall ever coming across gematria from Crowley as you describe. but we’ll see if Shiva knows any. Personally I doubt it, but we’ll see.

dom
    Participant

Yeah come to think of it, it sounds like Shiva has been totally misled on this issue. I mean it isn’t rocket science, each Hebrew letter has a number.

@ignant666
    I think what david is asking for is an instance where AC

Don’t you think it’s a bit silly to keep referring to me as ‘david’? It’s going to confuse any new lurkers for a start. You’ve made your point (some time ago)and i suggest you get over it.

Thanks.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  dom.

ignant666
    Participant

Don’t you think it’s a bit silly to keep referring to me as ‘david’?

No.

dom
    Participant

If you say so.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged-in to reply to this topic.