Home Forums Thelemic Culture and Crowley in the Media Crowley Clippings Bruce Dickinson autobiography

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

AbulDiz
    Participant

Crowley is mentioned in several places in the new autobiography by Bruce Dickinson. The Thelemic references in Iron Maiden lyrics are openly acknowledged and there are also a few interesting nuggets about the Chemical Wedding film based on Crowley. Good to see Mr Bruce on the olde University Challenge over christmas!

dom
    Participant

What does Dicko say about AC etc?

Does Dicko think that he is doing his True Will? How would we know whether he was ever did his True Will? These are important questions.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by  dom.

AbulDiz
    Participant

What does Dicko say about AC etc?

As in my post.

Does Dicko think that he is doing his True Will? How would we know whether he was ever did his True Will? These are important questions.

The Crowley clippings forum is for sightings of Crowley in the mainstream media, it doesn’t necessitate any kind of technical detail. The fact that one of the most influential British rock bands of the last 40 years incorporates Thelemic imagery into their art speaks for itself.

lashtal
    Keymaster

The Crowley clippings forum is for sightings of Crowley in the mainstream media, it doesn’t necessitate any kind of technical detail.

That’s correct, @abuldiz – and I’m grateful for your post. I’m sometimes a little surprised that more members don’t contribute posts here.

Sonofthoth
    Participant

While my feelings on Iron Maiden are generally neutral, I don’t get the sense that Bruce is interested in Thelema. He is a fan of literature and folklore, which I think attracts him to the fictional version of Crowley that populates most of his mainstream image.
    The Chemical Wedding film he wrote is quite an embarrassing thing (for him) to be a part of, it’s certainly not a very well-made film (even from a director point of view).

For Dickinson, I doubt there is any deep interest in it for him, but regardless it is an interest that he has had since the 80s.

dom
    Participant

The Thelemic references in Iron Maiden lyrics are openly acknowledged s!

Where are these blatant references? Which songs and how and why?

AbulDiz
    Participant

Where are these blatant references? Which songs and how and why?

Go listen to Piece of Mind, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son and The Final Frontier if your interested. There may be others I have missed.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by  AbulDiz.

dom
    Participant

Seeing as you are the one who brought the subject up we’re kind of entitled to some sort of clarification with specific and consistent references.

the_real_simon_iff
    Participant

Ah, scientific skepticism 2018:

“we’re entitled to some sort of clarification with specific and consistent references”

scientific skepticism 2017:

“Is it too much effort to go and google [insert topic] at least?”

“I must’ve been naïve to assume that everyone here is familiar with [insert topic] eh? You obviously aren’t.”

Is it old-fashioned to think that if one wants to have an informed opinion on Dicko’s (good one!) actual level of Thelemicness one could simply read the book and suffer through the lyrics instead of being spoon-fed specific and consistent references?

“Does Dicko think that he is doing his True Will? How would we know whether he was ever did his True Will? These are important questions.”

Oh, I see, it’s not about informed opinion. It’s another highly skeptical and scientific gotcha-game.

Well, you clearly have your better and your worse days, dom…

I truly admire how gentleman-like AbulDiz handled your nonsense.

ignant666
    Participant

You have not been keeping up, the real simon iff.

david/dom has recently converted from “Thelemic Skeptic” to “Full-On Fluffy-Bunny Credulous New Ager”, and no longer demands any evidence or proof before “accepting claims”. See his recent “Atlantis, lost civilizations, precession, Hancock and Thelema.” thread. You will recall that he does this from time to time; the last time before this was when he was a “Space Migration” fan.

He just remains a troll/cranky person, thus his comments here.

dom
    Participant

@sonofthoth

While my feelings on Iron Maiden are generally neutral, I don’t get the sense that Bruce is interested in Thelema. He is a fan of literature and folklore, which I think attracts him to the fictional version of Crowley that populates most of his mainstream image.
    The Chemical Wedding film he wrote is quite an embarrassing thing (for him) to be a part of, it’s certainly not a very well-made film (even from a director point of view).
    For Dickinson, I doubt there is any deep interest in it for him, but regardless it is an interest that he has had since the 80s.

Exactly, that’s why i wanted a bit of clarification. The following is not a Spinal Tap lyric. No, it’s a Bruce Dickinson song;

666 the number of the beast
    Hell and fire was spawned to be released

Torches blazed and sacred chants were praised
    As they start to cry hands held to the sky
    In the night the fires are burning bright
    The ritual has begun, Satan’s work is done

Kind of speaks for itself doesn’t it?

Case closed……… unless someone’s got any some Dickinson lyrics not as crass that do demonstrate a genuine interest in the A’A’ and/or Thelema.

@666

who said “You will recall that he does this from time to time; the last time before this was when he was a “Space Migration” fan

and i’m the cranky one.

Do you know anything about Dr Robert A.Wilson? Clearly not. He was a die-hard advocate of space migration (amongst other Learyian preoccupations) as the way forward for humanity.

Go forth and educate thyself my son.

Sonofthoth
    Participant

One of the songs allegedly inspired by Crowley: (first verse is from an old hymn, so I didn’t include it:

“Just a babe in the black abyss,
    No reason for a place like this,
    The walls are cold and souls cry out in pain,
    An easy way for the blind to go,
    A clever path for the fools who know
    the Secret of the Hanged Man-the smile on his lips.
    The light of the Blind-you’ll see,
    The venom that tears my spine,
    The Eyes of the Nile are opening-you’ll see.

She came to me with a serpent’s kiss,
    As the Eye of the Sun Rose on her lips,
    Moonlight catches silver tears I cry,
    So we lay in the black embrace,
    And the Seed is sown in a holy place
    And I watched, and I waited for the dawn.

The light of the Blind-you’ll see,
    The venom that tears my spine,
    The Eyes of the Nile are opening-you’ll see.

Bind all of us together,
    Ablaze with Hope and Free,
    No storm or heavy weather
    Will rock the boat you’ll see.
    The time has come to close your eyes
    And still the wind and rain,
    For the one who will be King
    Is the Watcher in the Ring,
    It is You”

All the songs that I’ve seen mentioned as alleged Crowley/Thelema references could really be written about anything, it mainly just references words/phrases/terms.

Kinda sad though, cause Christian conspiracy theorists, like to thrive off it and belittle both Crowley and any other said band, when the references/connections are less then even superficial.

dom
    Participant

All the songs that I’ve seen mentioned as alleged Crowley/Thelema references could really be written about anything, it mainly just references words/phrases/terms.
    Kinda sad though, cause Christian conspiracy theorists, like to thrive off it and belittle both Crowley and any other said band, when the references/connections are less then even superficial.

Well yeah that’s it.

Ask these spandex Spinal Tappers about Jugorum or the Star Ruby or the relevance of the LRBP and it’s Woosh time.

@666

who said

david/dom has recently converted from “Thelemic Skeptic” to “Full-On Fluffy-Bunny Credulous New Ager”, and no longer demands any evidence or proof before “accepting claims”. See his recent “Atlantis, lost civilizations, precession, Hancock and Thelema

No not a full convert, my argument was that modern academia’s archeological timeline has holes in it e.g. weather worn Sphinx. Sphinx? Desert? Worn away by rain? How? When? You never gave any serious scientific thought in that thread. Yes Hancock seems to be afflicted with confirmation bias…but not always. Anyway that was another thread… this one’s different

ignant666
    Participant

Note that david does not dispute his “Fluffy-Bunny New Ager” conversion, but merely states his conversion is only partial.

As to the sort of OT: Being a “Vewy Scawy Deviw Wowshipew” was pretty mandatory in Heavy Metal by the the time Maiden emerged; i think they were just checking the boxes to make that money.

Sonofthoth
    Participant

ignant666 As to the sort of OT: Being a “Vewy Scawy Deviw Wowshipew” was pretty mandatory in Heavy Metal by the the time Maiden emerged; i think they were just checking the boxes to make that money

Yep, I think it is mostly the case. Most of their lyrics otherwise is dramatization of historical events and literature (novels and poems).
    I’m not a Maiden fan by a long stretch but I have happened to have heard all their current albums, again my overall view on the band is generally neutral (though it is strange how popular they are compared to other metal bands around the same time)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged-in to reply to this topic.