Home Forums Aleister Crowley Biography Cairo 1904: Looking For Information

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 95 total)
  • Author

michela
    Participant

Just now, I`m doing some artwork (grafics, paintings) related to the event which occured in March/April 1904 in Cairo. I need more informations about the house in which Aleister and Rose lived at that time in Cairo. Are there photos?
    In return we can offer informations about our scarlet women research in swizerland last year. We think we have some unique informations ans documents.

Thanks, Michela

http://www.snakefire.de
    http://www.magickal-church-of-satan.de

lashtal
    Keymaster

Hi Michela,

Well, your thread is getting many hits! Let’s hope that someone is able to help. My money’s on Excoriator – if anyone knows, I suspect he does!

I’d certainly be very interested in the result of your researches regarding the Scarlet Women. Were you able to confirm the 1976 (?) death date of Leah Hirsig?

Regards,

Paul
    webmaster@lashtal.com

kurt
    Participant

Hi Paul,
    Lea (without “h”) Hirsig died in Meiringen 22th February 1975 at 6.15 PM.
    We have the official documents from the “Zivilstandsamt Oberhasli”, near Meiringen. We had contact with a man, a hotelier, who´s grand-aunt was Lea. He told us, that Lea was a “very important” aunt for his father. He told us, if he could find photos from her, he would send it.
    Last year we travelled in that wonderful region of switzerland, searching for Lea´s grave. The grave was opend 8 years before. (graves in that region only exist for 20 years.)
    But we could find all other informations and the contact with Lea´s “bloodline”.
    A few month ago a lady, “Mrs. Hirsig” from the “Zivilstandsamt” in Amsolding CH (near Trachselwald, Lea´s place of birth) called me to give more information about Lea. I was perplexed, hearing the name Hirsig from a lady with typical swiss – pronounciation. But it was “only” by chance (C.G. Jung would liked it).
    OK. That´s for today. Two years ago, we travelled to Cefalu. Last year to Meiringen. This year ?.
    Please excuse our English.
    Regards
    Kurt & Michela

kurt
    Participant

Hi Paul,
    sorry for mistake: Lea died 6.15 [size=24px]AM![/size]
    Regards
    Kurt

Excoriator
    Participant

I have very good reason to believe that it was in Sharia Kasr el Nil (i.e. Kasr el Nil street). And there is a fair chance that it was in the Midan Soliman Pasha, a.k.a. Place de Soliman Pasha, a.k.a. Soliman Pasha Square; now known as Midan Talaat Harb (a.k.a. etc.).

And it is possible that it is a building in a photograph on this website:

http://www.egy.com/landmarks/

Go down the index on the left to this one:

99-03-18 MIDAN SOLIMAN PASHA

On that page there is a photograph, taken within two decades of 1904, of the Michel Ayoub Pasha Building; a curious, curved building that still exists. It was built around the turn of the century and it is my prime candidate. Unfortunately, I haven’t quite clinched it. If anyone would like to pay for me to go back to Cairo, and/or London, I might be able to confirm it for y’all. If it is that building, it wasn’t called that then. It is also possible it was a previous building on that site.

Interestingly, the Midan is generally regarded as the centre of Cairo (though it has some competition in the much larger Midan Tahrir, which the museum is on). I even once had a tout approach me in the Midan Talaat Harb using as his opening line that it is the centre of the city.

CSM

lashtal
    Keymaster

Thanks very much for that, Excoriator.

Let’s hope that someone is able to help. My money’s on Excoriator – if anyone knows, I suspect he does!

Paul
    webmaster@lashtal.com

michela
    Participant

Hi Excoriator,
    thank you very much for this information. I am very happy.
    If you are interested in it, I will send you a copy of Lea´s family-record.
    Regards
    Michela & Kurt

Excoriator
    Participant

This one also might be of interest. It is circa 1900 and one of the distinctive cupolas of what is now known as the Michel Ayoub Pasha Building is visible to the right. The statue of Soliman Pasha is also visible in the middle of the place.

CSM

faustian
    Participant

Chapter II 76

SteveCranmer
    Participant
    "faustian" wrote:
    Chapter II 76

I’ve been waiting a few days for someone else to take this bait… but I’ll chomp on the hook:

Are you saying that details about the specific hotel in Cairo might contain clues to the letter/number cipher in the above verse? There’s no Hotel Algmor around the corner, is there…? 🙂

faustian
    Participant

Chapter III 4

lashtal
    Keymaster

Ok, Faustian…

II:76

4 6 3 8 A B K 2 4 A L G M O R 3 Y
    X 24 89 R P S T O V A L. What
    meaneth this, o prophet? Thou knowest
    not; nor shalt thou know ever. There
    cometh one to follow thee: he shall
    expound it. But remember, o chosen
    one, to be me; to follow the love of
    Nu in the star-lit heaven; to look forth
    upon men, to tell them this glad word.

III:4

Choose ye an island!

Do you want to give us a hint where this is leading, or are you just throwing out references at random?

faustian
    Participant

II:76 Gives you a name

III:4 Narrows the location

You already know the city.

lashtal
    Keymaster

I assume you’re referring to Zamalek Island, Cairo, also known as Gazireh. In Crowley’s time it was still known by its old name of Gezirat Boulaq (ie Boulaq Island).

But I don’t see how this relates to verse II:76…

Intriguing, though!

wulfram
    Participant

Oh wow… I hate it when light bulbs go off in head after being bludgeoned…. I think I may see what you’re driving at, “faustian”. Dammit, I wasn’t up for doing research tonight, I’ve got deadlines creeping. Although, a short story I’ve been tooling around with might just benefit from this knowledge, at least for giving it a touch more verisimilitude.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 95 total)
  • You must be logged-in to reply to this topic.