Home Forums Aleister Crowley Biography Crowley; cat killer!………..?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

dom
    Participant

This story about Crowley aged 14 killing a cat “to see if it had nine lives” surely this is another publicity-seeking prank aimed at winding-up stodgy people especially British censors?

I know that dog is ‘man’s best friend’ and cats are sadistic creatures devoid of affection and all but hey….

Reference page 30 Colin Wilson’s The Nature of the Beast The Aquarian Press

• This topic was modified 1 month ago by  dom.

Michael Staley
    Participant

@dom

cats are sadistic creatures devoid of affection and all

Having had a cat, Stan, from 2004 until his death last August, I can assure you that your throw-away remark that they are “devoid of affection” is not true.

This story about Crowley aged 14 killing a cat “to see if it had nine lives” surely this is another publicity-seeking prank aimed at winding-up stodgy people especially British censors?

No, I don’t think so. It was a simple act of cruelty, rather than a “publicity-seeking prank” or a wind-up.

dom
    Participant

Having had a cat, Stan, from 2004 until his death last August, I can assure you that your throw-away remark that they are “devoid of affection” is not true.

I doubt it mate. Cat-lovers have ways of seeing things that just aren’t there.

belmurru
    Participant

Whether a true story or not, it seems impossible as he writes it, unless he was dumb as a rock at age 14. Each of those methods presumably killed the cat; unless it came back to life each time, he would have had to find a new cat to try it on, since the purpose of the “experiment” is not to kill a cat once and then find 8 other ways to hurt its corpse, but rather to test the thesis that a cat has 9 lives.

But the experiment is nonsense unless you try it on a kitten you have seen born yourself, since how can you possibly know how many times a cat has cheated death unless you have witnessed every moment of its life?

Simply nonsense, the whole story, and whatever reason AC threw it in there.

belmurru
    Participant

A cat’s affection is not a dog’s affection, that is true. Cats are not “cruel”, but they have no concern for the suffering of their prey, once they have decided to play with it. Why should they have feelings for a bird, rat or lizard? But for those with whom they bond, their affection is limitless, deep, and true.

Cruelty is a cheap charge anyway, from anyone who eats meat bought commercially. Ever been to a slaughterhouse and witnessed what goes on there? It is not careful euthanasia.

Michael Staley
    Participant

@dom

I doubt it mate.

I don’t give a toss whether you doubt it or not. My cat displayed affection.

It’s laughable, the ignorant balderdash with which your posts are peppered.

Tiger
    Participant

@dom
    Some day you might be worthy of seeing a cats affection but highly unlikely .

elitemachinery
    Participant

belmuru said:

Simply nonsense, the whole story, and whatever reason AC threw it in there.

The story is probably true, a youthful act of cruelty, and AC was just sharing it in his mischievous way.

@michael-staley said to @dom:

It’s laughable, the ignorant balderdash with which your posts are peppered.

@dom ‘s function here seems to be as resident troll. He keeps the forums running by commenting on every post and every thread. Making sure the software still works doesn’t get rusty. Not to be taken seriously.

Coincidentally, I have 10 cats. On Friday, one of the kittens stuck his head in a heavy door as it was closing. I caught the door before it closed but it was too late. His head was pinched and he was convulsing. I knew it was bad.

He died in my arms three hours later. It was terrible. His name was Junior or Tiger Jr, named because he looked like his older brother named Tiger.

I buried Junior on Saturday. Cried like a baby. When you connect with an animal sitting on your chest purring away it changes you. This whole thing that Crowley was sadistic may be true or it may be folklore, but people do grow up. And the tendency for Crowley clones and Thelemites to mimic asinine behavior, in word or deed, is just stupid.

Tiger
    Participant

@dom
    It is evident that you don’t see ;
    that cats can see things ,
    you don’t see .

Magical they are !

@elitemachinery
    Sorry for your loss .
    Crowley was masochistic as well .

Tiger
    Participant

@dom
    Your ears might work
    but you are deaf .

If only you could smell and hear like a cat .

elitemachinery
    Participant

Cats in ancient Egypt:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cats_in_ancient_Egypt

“As a revered animal and one important to Egyptian society and religion, some cats received the same mummification after death as humans. Mummified cats were given in offering to Bast.In 1888, an Egyptian farmer uncovered a large tomb with mummified cats and kittens. This discovery outside the town of Beni Hasan had eighty thousand cat mummies, dated after 1000 BC. The punishments for harming cats were severe.”

ignant666
    Participant

Aside from this youthful cat-torturing episode, i can’t recall Crowley mentioning any dogs or cats (there is i suppose that crucified toad). Of course he moved around a lot which is not conducive to having animals.

Was Crowley among these suspicious petless people like Trump?

I am more of a dog man myself (i am currently owned by two bitches, a pitbull and a cockapoo), but have wanted to get a cat of late. My wife is vociferously anti-cat. When i pressed her as to why, she finally came out with “I do not like the way that they are, and the way that they move!” which is pretty unanswerable. English is not her first language, but she does manage to express herself.

belmurru
    Participant

I thought we had discussed AC’s pets a few years ago, but all I can find are a few remarks in this thread –
    http://www.lashtal.com/forums/topic/how-to-spell-fiaof-in-full/#post-83234

Besides dogs at Boleskine, I don’t recall any other mentions of animal companions. In principle, I can’t see him walking a dog a few times a day, or feeding a cat and taking care of the litter – not to mention the extra expenditure on food.

elitemachinery
    Participant

@belmurru said:

I can’t see him walking a dog a few times a day.

Well when you live in the Highlands you don’t really need to walk them do you? Plenty of open land. Crowley was an avid hiker/climber I can imagine hiking with the dogs through the hills would be refreshing. Could do it few times a week rather than twice a day like city folk.

ignant666
    Participant

I almost said “maybe some dogs in Boleskine?” (to hunt the haggis, of course).

As Jamie Barter (who seems to have vanished) said in the thread belmurru links, the dogs at Boleskine may well have come with the house, and may have needed little attention beyond perhaps food (if there were not enough haggis on the hoof).

While AC was clearly not a person to walk a dog, for much of his life he had servants, and i don’t “walk” my two dogs- i just open the door to let them in and out (no more than 2-300 times a day). The point about the expense of feeding them is possibly valid, but again he was not always poor, and dogs can be fed very cheaply.

I think we may be stuck with the issue of AC’s not entirely nurturing personality, or even a disdain for dogs, given some pejorative uses of this word (or was that just Aiwass?).

Cats i can’t even recall him mentioning beyond the killing experiment. Reminded of Sid Vicious’ famous “i killed a cat!” in his cover of “My Way”- in each case an attempt at the ultimate in “bad-boy-ism” when directed at the Great British Public? Just asking.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  ignant666. Reason: add more
    • This reply was modified 1 month ago by  ignant666.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged-in to reply to this topic.