Home Forums Aleister Crowley Biography Crowley; cat killer!………..?

• This topic contains 25 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Tiger 3 months ago.
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author

dom
    Participant

@belmurru

Simply nonsense, the whole story, and whatever reason AC threw it in there.

Yeah I veer towards seeing this as another Crowley prank up there (or down there) with the sacrifice of the 100 boys episode in Magick and theory and practice. Colin Wilson’s Nature of the Beast gives good evidence that Crowley was constantly desperate for notoriety/publicity until the Sunday Express moral crusade against him in 1922/1923 when in fact it all backfired. Backfired in the sense that Joyce’s Ulysses,Huxley’s Antic Hay and Nabokov’s Lolita had their circulation boosted on the back of the scandalous press denouncements but Drug fiend and Confessions were allowed to drop out of print. He was still out to shock afterwards as Magick and theory and practice was published some time later.

No one has mentioned AC’s frog sacrifice or the alleged goat’s throat being cut in the Abbey or the other cat sacrifice in the Abbey where Loveday was required to drink it’s blood. Are these amongst the list of lies that estranged visitors to the Abbey told to the authorities?

A cat’s affection is not a dog’s affection, that is true. Cats are not “cruel”, but they have no concern for the suffering of their prey, once they have decided to play with it. Why should they have feelings for a bird, rat or lizard? But for those with whom they bond, their affection is limitless, deep, and true.

Cruelty is a cheap charge anyway, from anyone who eats meat bought commercially. Ever been to a slaughterhouse and witnessed what goes on there? It is not careful euthanasia.

Yeah i guess domesticated cats are warped by, well, by domestication whereas wild cats kill mice to survive and they are taught by their mothers how to hunt, kill and eat vermin. The domesticated cat’s cruelty may therefore a form of stupidity or innocence i.e. it’s following it’s instincts but in an inadequate way so it ‘plays’ with the mouse before it kills it. I don’t know. I know that foxes also kill cats but not as prey to be eaten. Seems to be a blood sport.

Tiger
    Participant

Cats are Angels
    Perfect Killers
    And love to have fun !

I was going to mention the cats in Cefalu. Whether or not one was killed for Loveday to drink its blood I don’t know but apparently they were roaming in the Abbey’s garden. That I can believe as I have been to Cefalu and there are cats everywhere, like in most Mediterranean countries. Nobody really looks after them, they feed on scraps from restaurants.

Wonder if Crowley ate cat meat during the war, when meat was scarce. Not a nice thing but I remember my parents telling me of people eating cat meat and rat and squirrel meat during the war.

ignant666
    Participant

… eating cat meat and rat and squirrel meat during the war.

Golly! Reminded of the PG Wodehouse character “Catsmeat” Potter-Pirbright. As a young American lad, i thought (with horror) the meat in question was from cats, not for them as i guess is obvious to UK readers.

The Cefalu cats, and Boleskine dogs, both probably came with the property.

Kindness to animals does not seem to have been among AC’s virtues, but then he wasn’t very nice to people either.

michaelclarke18
    Participant

There was also the Cefalu experience, in which a cat was killed, though not by AC. On that occasion it was Loveday – according to the RL diaries – who instigated it. I find it strange how some people really dislike cat’s – to an almost intense degree – usually they tend to be bird lovers.

dom
    Participant

@michaelclarke18

There was also the Cefalu experience, in which a cat was killed, though not by AC. On that occasion it was Loveday – according to the RL diaries – who instigated it.

Yeah I’d already mentioned this but interesting that you say AC never instigated it. Colin Wilson on pages 132/133 of The Nature of the Beast leaves it open about who instigated it but he conveys it in a manner that strongly suggested that it was AC’s idea. I haven’t seen the RL diaries but yeah RL was crazy enough to come up with such an idea.

Whatever happened AC didn’t exactly protest haha.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by  dom.

ignant666
    Participant

At least that poor goat at Cefalu died with a smile on his face.

Tiger
    Participant

i don’t know if it’s haha silly
    but it could be interesting to understand the scenario .

dom
    Participant

I changed my mind, cats can be affectionate.

ignant666
    Participant

I am sure i am not the only one who will treat this revelation with the importance it deserves; thank you so much for taking time out of your busy day to let us know.

Tiger
    Participant

Well some times cats can go screwy .
    🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged-in to reply to this topic.