Home Forums Aleister Crowley Biography Crowley in America

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

christibrany
    Participant

Hope all have been well. Enjoying reading the occasionally interesting bickering lately.

I’m almost done w Churtons AC in America book, which is quite good.

Quick question, does anyone know the immigration and visa policies of that period (1914 to 1919) in America?

I find it amazing he could stay for so many years, plus work too.

Thanks

Chris

93 93/93

ignant666
    Participant

Immigration into the US was more or less a matter of buying a ticket before 1924 unless you were Asian. After 1924, immigration by southern and eastern Europeans was subject to quotas, but immigration by northern Europeans wasn’t really restricted at all until 1965.

There were no restrictions whatever on an Englishmen entering the US to live or work during AC’s life.

christibrany
    Participant

thanks for the response!

I mostly agree with your assertion but I swear there is a part near the end of the book that states something to the effect of ‘Crowley as much as he wanted to go back to California in the 1930’s, would have had a hard time even if he had the money, as the FBI investigations had severely hampered his ability to get visa approval.’

So perhaps visas were instated at some point prior to the 1940s.

I searched for an hour but I couldn’t find that passage though.

ignant666
    Participant

Your question was about immigration policies generally. I was just trying to make the point that nothing remotely resembling modern immigration, visa, or travel policies existed during AC’s life.

The fact that there were no general restrictions on a Brit wanting enter/work in the US from 1924-65 certainly does not mean that some folks did not experience difficulties for political reasons. Communists, anarchists, and agents of hostile foreign powers might certainly experience trouble, denials of entry, and deportation even in those free-and-easy times.

Whatever his motivations, AC was very publicly associated during WW I with German-sympathizing folks like Viereck.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged-in to reply to this topic.