Home Forums Aleister Crowley Biography Crowley liked international travel. Do you?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author

dom
    Participant

Do you go abroad often?

Tiger
    Participant

used to quite often on youtube

Travel Documentaries, Expedia, Backpacking, Travel Vlogs etc

ignant666
    Participant

I like to travel, period. I have been to 31 of 50 US states, with time in 13 states so far this year, with one more additional state getting added, plus DC, to my “year-end” total, when i do a 184.5 mile, 6 day, bike trip in two weeks.

I’ve also been to 19 countries, with multiple visits to the UK (four times), France (10 times), and Brazil (15 times). Only in the US so far this year, but will add a new country (Portugal), and another visit to the UK, in August.

And it’s not because i’m loaded with money- this has mostly been very low-budget travel, afforded by scrimping on other things (like never having had a car, and cooking instead of buying prepared foods, buying most of my clothes used, etc).

Most of my travel has been by bus, rail, bicycling, and hitchhiking, with airplanes involved when there are oceans, and back when i used to travel to conferences as an academic. Generally staying with folks met on the road, friends and family, and camping/sleeping rough, and the occasional hostel or hotel.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by  ignant666.

dom
    Participant

Where are you staying in the UK next?

ignant666
    Participant

I will be in London for two days, staying with friends, who live in Brixton.

Just zipping over from Portugal to see one of my few old pals who isn’t dead, though it is likely i will visit the Imperial War Museum, my favorite London tourist attraction.

mayet
    Participant

travel … I love travel… traveled and explored aus many times … most fun was camping sleeping rough…meeting different folks … hitchhiking done and do plenty, when I need to.

overseas travel none .. love to …dreams are but dreams …… money seems to be god in this world…….. so until then google maps, youtube and googling had sufficed….

@ignant666 you have never had a car? you must be fit ps I hate prepared foods has too many things I cannot pronounce and too many numbers for my body…

Tiger
    Participant

i got my first car 4 years ago
    and hope to visit London for sometime someday

beautiful building

@ignant
    you in good shape dude
    i lost it as soon as i got my car
    maybe i will try to just use it just when it rains and snows

Tiger
    Participant

Keep Calm and Carry On

Shiva
    Participant

T: i got my first car 4 years ago and hope to visit London

TRAVEL ADVISORY: Tourists from USA are advised to not attempt crossing the Atlantic in their car.

dom
    Participant

I’ve been to New York, Paris, Stockholm and Barcelona and the UK channel Isles. Less than a week each. Was worth it I guess. London is just one big sprawling English council estate with historical sites like the palace in the middle.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by  dom.

Tiger
    Participant

“T: i got my first car 4 years ago and hope to visit London”

“TRAVEL ADVISORY: Tourists from USA are advised to not attempt crossing the Atlantic in their car.”

@shiva
    Hopefully by the time I get around to it They will have figured out how to drive on the right side of the road .

ignant666
    Participant

Hopefully by the time I get around to it They will have figured out how to drive on the right side of the road .

Every time i go to London, my friend that i am going to visit spends the first couple days that i am there pulling me out of the path of speeding buses until i acclimate to this peculiar habit of driving on the wrong side of the road, shared by the Japanese and the Australians i believe. With only two days there on this trip, i will try to avoid crossing the street. Maybe this odd habit is some sort of island-related thing (UK, Japan, Australia)?

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by  ignant666.

Tiger
    Participant

mayet
    Participant

@ignant666 Maybe this odd habit is some sort of island-related thing (UK, Japan, Australia)?

if that theory held water or was held by water, then all islands would drive on left hand side of road…..

to me the ODD habit would be to drive on right, and have left hand drive vehicles and just as you guys are stuck doing it our way, we are and I would be stuck doing it yours….

I do know there is much kerfuffle here over tourists coming here and getting international licences and then driving on the wrong side – the right side, crashing badly into other vehicles… the europeons do not seem to have much trouble but the chinese do seem to have trouble adjusting

ignant666
    Participant

I realize that not all islands drive on the wrong side of the road, but as far as i know only (some) island-nations do this. This may be because of islands’ lack of land borders with countries that do it the other way.

[Have just thought of the Chunnel, where they must deal with this- what do they do? suppose i could give it a google. Doh! It’s a rail tunnel; nevermind]

I also realized that, even as i was, in writing the above post, thinking about the many times my pal “English John” (he used to live in Brooklyn in the ’90s) has pulled me out from in front of a speeding double-decker London bus, i was (in my mind’s eye) picturing the bus coming from the left as i tried to cross a two-lane street (the way it would in a civilized, non-backwards country), rather than the right, where those giant red death-juggernauts actually come from.

I am doomed.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by  ignant666.
    • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by  ignant666.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged-in to reply to this topic.