Home Forums Aleister Crowley Biography Crowley liked international travel. Do you?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 54 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

@ignant666 [Have just thought of the Chunnel, where they must deal with this- what do they do? suppose i could give it a google. Doh! It’s a rail tunnel; nevermind]

I thought it was vehicle … *off to google to learn me some more stuff to fill my lil head with

I always thought our left side stuff was our English convict roots .. I didn’t know until you said it that Japan did it too…

Shiva
    Participant

m: the chinese do seem to have trouble adjusting

I associated with many Chinese folks … from mainland China. I’ll let you in on a secret. They, in general, seem to have trouble everywhere, right-laned or left-laned.

However, my observation is about 35 years old, and since that time a LOT more cars have been introduced to China, so maybe they’re not quite as inept as they used to be.

ignant666
    Participant

More on driving on the wrong* side of the road:

Today, only 35% of countries drive on the left. These include India, Indonesia, Ireland, Malta, Cyprus, Japan, New Zealand, Australia and most recently, Samoa in 2009. Most of these countries are islands but where land borders require a change from left to right, this is usually accomplished using traffic lights, cross-over bridges, one-way systems or similar.

https://www.historic-uk.com/CultureUK/Why-do-the-British-drive-on-the-left/

Better article here:

Why do some countries drive on the left and others on the right?

Forgot about India (where i have been), the notable not-an-island on the above list. Pakistan also drives on the left, so i must have passed through the side-switching in the Khyber Pass on the bus leaving Afghanistan, but don’t recall it.

Other non-island left-side driving nations are Guyana, Suriname, Thailand, and most of southeast Africa:

List of left- & right-driving countries

We can now return to the bickering that normally occurs in these august groves after this wholesome educational interlude.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by  ignant666.

christibrany
    Participant

I love traveling! I hate airplanes noawadays though, too cramped, uncomfortable and tedious.

I have been to the following countries for trips (at least a week) and or living/studying, most of them multiple times:
    USA
    Portugal
    Spain
    England
    Scotland
    Wales
    France
    Belgium
    The Netherlands
    Germany
    Denmark
    Norway
    Italy
    Austria
    Czech Republic
    Poland
    Ukraine
    Romania
    Croatia
    South Korea
    Japan

Countries on my list to see before I kick the bucket:
    China
    Ireland
    Mexico
    Egypt
    Malta
    Russia
    Argentina

I can thank my father for being posted in the NL and Germany, for being able to travel and live in most of those countries, and studying abroad/foreign girlfriends for the Japan and Korea trips.

Most recently I was in Portugal and Germany on different trips. Haven’t been to Asia in 10 years though 🙁

Shiva
    Participant

So the brothers and sistren of the left hand path are outweighed 2:1 by the white lodge drivers. That makes sense. Revelation tells us a third of the population will be driven into a lake of fire and brimstone. Repent! ye Brits and former colonials (plus Japan). Save your soles from the eternal fire.

I’m no international expert. I have been to USA, Canadia, Mexicana (almost to Guatemala), and Hawaii. So anything I say can be disregarded.

I haven’t figured out yet which way they drive on the astral plane, but survival on the causal plane requires driving on the center-line, preferring neither side.

christibrany
    Participant

The roads were so small in Japan they may as well officially drive in the centre, as that was what was actually occurring, with the Japanese having a penchant for large vans and SUV’s which took up the whole of the road, both ‘lanes.’ That was in the early 2000’s so I wonder if they are into small cars again. Fads and all that.

Driving in Portugal was absolute madness. I almost had a heart attack daily.
    The worst part was that every single roundabout only had one lane, total…. So you would be driving on a 2 or 3 lane road, and then it would instantly funnel into the single roundabout and everyone is speeding and trying to dodge the other cars entering, not to mention the ones already in the roundabout.

It was there that I saw a car totally flipped onto it’s roof, with no curb or obstacle to explain it. Also the same trip I saw 2 men at the side of the highway, trying to put out a fire blazing from their car near their gas tank, using their jackets to beat at the flames. Not so smart, I was waiting for it to explode on them.

Anonymous

@shiva I have to address the elephant in the room shortly ..its a revelation..

I haven’t figured out yet which way they drive on the astral plane,

me neither I haven’t even figured how to get admission into it let alone drive or fly…

ok D1 is sitting here discussing this very thing as I type. She has been able to “astral travel” since she was five… *Im envious… I dont think I ever have… I won’t go into detail here tldr; kinda thing .
    after listening to what she says I actually wonder if anyone else has a similar or same experience.. of somewhere else

but survival on the causal plane requires driving on the center-line, preferring neither side.

I am starting to see/correlate something there.. hasn’t fully formed yet but is conceived…

ignant666
    Participant

So the brothers and sistren of the left hand path are outweighed 2:1 by the white lodge drivers.

It all makes sense now! According to the sources i posted, the reason for driving on the left-hand path is to leave one’s right hand free to grab one’s Sword to defend one’s Self– clearly the work of ego-controlled Black Brothers!

Whereas driving on the right-hand path originated to allow large vehicles (in Sanskrit, “Mahāyāna”) to pass in opposite directions, each driver respecting the contrary Will of the other. The “Star Sponge Vision” in microcosm really.

No wonder i never got a driver’s license!

ignant666
    Participant

christibrany: Why no Canada? If you live in a place where there are elk-burgers to be eaten, you can’t be very far away, although of course Winnipeg (where i have in fact been) or someplace like that may be the nearest city. But you can get to Montreal by driving or taking a bus or train (or flying of course).

Vancouver is also very nice. Winnipeg may not be the most exciting place i have ever been, although i bought excellent amphetamine from some bikers in a bar. I was there as a flunky delivering papers (on behalf of the NYC law firm where i worked in the mailroom) to be signed by some Canadian insurance company as part of the Chrysler loan bailout.

I really like Canada, especially the French part. Much better food than the US (in terms of raw materials, and excellent cooking in Montreal and environs), tons of historic stuff to see, and cheaply obtainable cultural difference which is after all the point of travel.

Like Brazil (but in very different ways), Canada is like a “Bizarro World” US- everything is the same yet different.

Of course, to a Commie like me, Canada might be “America done right”, but as a visiting conservative, they will not make you partake of that gummint health care, and you can passively benefit from (while philosophically opposing) the excellent roads and public transportation, highly regulated food production, etc. Also, for those who enjoy “the grass of the Arabs” it is of course legal there.

Mexico is also high on the cultural difference bang-for-buck ratio for US travelers. Get a cheap flight to whatever supertouristy hellhole, and get a bus ticket to anywhere else kind of far away, then get off the bus in whatever small town looks interesting. This is a good general plan for third-world travel.

Anonymous

@ignant666 It all makes sense now! According to the sources i posted, the reason for driving on the left-hand path is to leave one’s right hand free to grab one’s Sword to defend one’s Self– clearly the work of ego-controlled Black Brothers!

oh crap im backwards again.. because im left handed and my left hand would be my sword hand ..

“black brothers” you speak of often.. I remember long long long ago quite a few degrees of the wheel have turned, they were an implied threat.. paraphrasing if you don’t submit you will be left to the black brothers to take care of …. and being exposed to the black brothers means you will eventually go crazy mad.. correct me on that

if my recent experience is anything to correlate …… an April experience keeps running through my head to this moment “black brothers”
    and that’s what I call them .. a setup meeting directly after a life shattering revelation while I was at my weakest that left me careless… 11:11 – my *ss hospitals – double my *ss..

and it burns burns burns, my ring of fire.. not sure whether I posted this..

hey do you like my new A tattoo with the electricity rod/spark/wave through it? still hurts like heck sometimes like there is indeed lightening bolts going through it..

Swords don’t work

Im not sure about how things are on the other side of the abyss and until I get to the stage when I have sorted the crap so that Im not subjected to the “because” forces around me that are old skin ………..here upside downunder ‘ego’ is ok unless you don’t ride the beast.. it can give enough confidence in ones self to step up and on… .. I had it beaten into me physically and emotionally that I was nothing but a piece of crap one would wipes off ones shoes .. if I hadn’t had the secure loved and free childhood that I had I would of had no ego and therefore would of given up on finding everything long ago…

Whereas driving on the right-hand path originated to allow large vehicles (in Sanskrit, “Mahāyāna”) to pass in opposite directions, each driver respecting the contrary Will of the other. The “Star Sponge Vision” in microcosm really.

Im only teeny tiny micro not megalo… I can step aside and wait so mack trucks and the road runner can pass me comfortably beep beep *insert ACME dynamite here

christibrany
    Participant

@ignant666 good question…Canada is on my list of to-go-to’s but it’s not important enough in my ego-brain for the vaunted ‘Bucket List.’ More of a ‘when I have time and am super bored’ list. In particular, since I like both French cuisine and comics (so fancy) I have been wanting to go to Montreal. Plus Niagra Falls… I had a French Canadian pen-friend of the female variety I used to talk to on the phone years ago but she has fallen off the radar unfortunately. I hear a lot of Canadians complaining online about Canada’s social programmes and Trudeau in particular, so I won’t stick my nose in that particular verbal pie! Speaking of more casusal French cuisine there is a French Café (that’s the very creative name of the establishment) across the street from my house, and the French owner and her family that run it do an amazing job. My go-to’s are the Normand sandwich (baguette with thick slice of Brie cheese, butter, prosciutto) and the Nutella crepe I believe they call the Alice. mmmm

RE Mexico (RE means regarding, Dom) I am highly interested in the ‘ancient’ civilisations, Toltec, Aztec, Olmec etc and would love to see me some skull pits, cenotes, and ruins. The Castaneda books really influenced me a lot when I was near the beginning of my Path, despite not knowing whether or not Don Juan was based on a real human or not…
    I am one of the strange ones that can find deserts beautiful too but I don’t want to find myself in Cartel territory. . .

ignant666
    Participant

Cancun/Cozumel is a cheap flight from much of the US, and just get a bit away (bus ride) from that coast, and there are many ruins and Maya villages. Or fly to Mexico City and head south to Oaxaca (train to Puebla, bus after).

Montreal is well worth your time. Most of it is a clearly French city from all the architecture etc, and just general vibe; there are bits where we are suddenly not in France but Bizarro US/UK, but not many. Very good food everywhere. Much cheaper than US cities of comparable size.

Tiger
    Participant

dom
    Participant

If you go to say Spain this time of the year there may be a mosquito problem in hotel rooms so on. From random website;

It is believed Brazil, Indonesia, Malaysia, and Thailand have the highest numbers of mosquito species. Australia, Indonesia, the Philippines, and Brazil are recorded to have the highest number of endemic species. However, it is the whole of Africa, South America and Asia where most of the mosquito-borne diseases occur.

Now I know having a big lump on your body (after effects) is not the end of the world but I could do without it. Crowley tells the story that he slept outside and had perfected his asana to the extent that they left him alone. I take it he was in Asia at the time. I’d have to consult my notes.

Jamie J Barter
    Participant

@dom :

I take it he was in Asia at the time. I’d have to consult my notes.
    Didn’t you just say he was in Asana?

Now I know having a big lump on your body (after effects) is not the end of the world but I could do without it.
    Cream ? (soothing balm, for the relief of)

Drive carefully, senor!
    N Joy

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged-in to reply to this topic.