Home Forums Thelema Magick Eliphas Lévi’s Wand – hebrew characters?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

fraternoname
    Participant

I’ve been reading Transcendental Magic by Eliphas Lévi and I came accross the materials section where he discusses how to make the magical implements.

When it comes to the making of the wand, Lévi writes ” On the copper ring these characters must be engraved (…) and on the zinc ring (…)”. He does not say what it means contrary to his explanation of the making of the sword, anyone know the answer? I’ve been looking for it but I haven’t been successful.

https://imgur.com/a/kbhyHB1 – a link to a print of the characters

𝕛𝕘
    Participant

The characters engraved on the copper ring are ירושלמים הקדשה – Holy Jerusalem – and the characters engraved on the zinc ring are – המלך שלמה – Solomon the King. The Weiser 1968 edition of the translation from the French reads a Samech for the final Mem of Jerusalem, and a Resh for the final Kaph of King (HMLK).

𝕛𝕘
    Participant

Oops! Typed one too many Mems in the spelling of Jerusalem! Should read ירושלים. Waite’s translation follows to the letter the original Hebrew of the 1861 French edition (page 129)

archive.org/details/dogmeetrituelde01lvgoog/page/n142

The first edition of the second volume of Dogme et rituel de la haute magie (G. Baillière, 1856) has the correct typography for ירושלים הקדשה but not for המלך שלמה. Like those subsequent French and English editions which follow it the final Kaph ך of המלך – The King – is spelled with a Resh ר (page 88)

zinc and copper ring spellings

books.google.com/books?id=CwUOAAAAYAAJ&hl=en

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by  𝕛𝕘.
    • This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by  𝕛𝕘.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged-in to reply to this topic.