Home Forums Thelemic Culture and Crowley in the Media News Articles Former OTO "facilities manager" convicted of second murder…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
  • Author

Keith418
    Participant

‘Taylor had joined the Gnostic Catholic Church — part of a fraternal organization that preaches the Law of Thelema, a mystical and religious system that is unrelated to mainline Roman Catholic beliefs — and served as a facility manager for the church’s temple in Portland.

(…)

The parole board reviewed Lehman’s report along with letters from Taylor and four of his supporters, including his church’s bishop, Henry Hadeed.

On Feb. 14, 2007, the board issued Taylor a parole discharge certificate, which read in part that Taylor’s “final release is not incompatible with the parolee’s welfare or that of society.”’

– from http://special.registerguard.com/web/newslocalnews/28653024-41/taylor-prison-parole-board-convicted.html.csp

Here is part of the letter Bishop Henry Hadeed wrote:

“As an authorized Bishop of Ecclesia Gnostica Catholica residing in Portland, OR, I have become well acquainted with David Taylor through his exemplary participation as a lay member of our congregation in a variety of settings and contexts (for example, in his frequent role as an assisting officer in the celebration of our principal liturgy). From my observations, based upon this experience, I have found that David consistently displays an outstanding degree of personal integrity, dedication, honesty, dependability, industriousness, intelligence, self control, and overall good will.

“I strongly support his full release and discharge from parole, and gladly look forward to the further contributions he will undoubtedly make as a valued member of our Church.”

Read the two time killer and rapist’s poetry here (it’s on page 18):

http://sekhetmaat.com/wiki/images/Vol12no1web.pdf

How the trial ended:

http://registerguard.com/rg/news/local/31607432-75/taylor-death-gutierrez-convicted-eugene.html.csp

A former body master informed me that in addition to his other roles, the now twice convicted killer was also both a Student and a Probationer in the Gunther A.’.A.’.

A friend noted:

“I’m still shaken by the unbridled praise Hank poured on Taylor in his letter to the parole board. I can’t read it anymore without the echo of the trial coverage and DRJ’s added details ringing in my ears. It’s like a nightmare mashup.

“As an authorized Bishop of Ecclesia Gnostica Catholica residing in Portland, OR, I have become well acquainted with David Taylor through his exemplary participation as a lay member of our congregation in a variety of settings and contexts (for example, in his frequent role as an assisting officer in the celebration of our principal liturgy). From my observations, based upon this experience, I have found that David consistently displays an outstanding degree of…

“…personal integrity,”

“The jury further found Taylor guilty of kidnapping and robbing Gutierrez, and abusing Gutierrez’s corpse.”

“…dedication,”

“As we learned in the past DRT wanted to feed the corpse to Wretha’s dogs, Mercedes ‘Sadie” Crabtree confirmed this detail but added that he had boiled some of the limbs and was considering eating them.”

“…honesty,”

“David Ray Taylor shook his head vigorously and told the judge presiding over his murder trial that he had no desire to tell a jury his side of a story that prosecutors have characterized as a tale of horror.”

“…dependability,”

“Taylor is in the rare position of facing a possible murder conviction after having previously been found guilty of murder. He served 27 years in prison for the shotgun slaying of a Eugene gas station attendant in 1977. The state parole board, on a 2-to-1 vote, granted Taylor’s release in 2004.”

“…industriousness,”

“The jury also convicted Taylor on 22 felony robbery charges, in connection with two bank robberies committed in 2012.”

“…intelligence,”

“Taylor, 58, allegedly had two younger accomplices stage a dispute outside a Eugene bar that worked to lure Gutierrez to Taylor’s home shortly before 1 a.m. on Aug. 3, 2012. Prosecutors say that after Gutierrez was killed at the house, Taylor and another suspect in the case dismembered his body.”

“…self control,”

“Sadie also testified that DRT had an erection, visible through his pants, from the time AJ Nelson began wiring up poor Tino, all the way through the dismemberment.”

“…and overall good will.”

“A Lane County jury this afternoon found David Ray Taylor guilty of three counts of aggravated murder in the death of 22-year-old Eugene resident Celestino Gutierrez.”

Shiva
    Participant

Kee-rist on a pogo stick!
    What next?

Keith418
    Participant

Taylor was arrested for this murder on the heels of another OTO related murderer/prison ministry scandal in 2012 e.v.

Read the Wikipedia entry on this child killer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Ray_Wallace

Now read his obituary here.

http://lib.oto-usa.org/agape/agape.7.1.pdf

It’s on page 11 of the pdf.

At the time I wrote:

“Is it just me or is this utterly appalling? The OTO tries to deny that the mass murderer Mathew Murray was a “member” of the Order because he was “only” a Minerval. They then proceed to count new Minervals as “new members” on annual reports. But this self-serving and transparently hypocritical stance cannot be taken here. Instead, they seem proud of the fact that the OTO had an “associate member” in prison who was there for killing four people – including two kids under the age of six! You will notice that the victims of Donald Ray Wallace aren’t even mentioned in his glowing notice in Agape. How crazy is this?

“I missed this the first time because I cannot bear to read Agape all that closely – it’s too silly, stupid, and depressing. But I have a hard time understanding how Sabazius could approve of this kind of notice. Is our connection to this killer really something we want to advertise and be proud of? How does the fact that he memorized Liber Al while in prison make up for the fact that he murdered a four year old boy and a five year old girl – and two other people – in cold blood? If he had killed the children of one of the OTO’s leaders would this thing have ever appeared in an official OTO newsletter? Please!

“My friends and many other people in the Order know I have long condemned the OTO’s “prison ministry” program. Unlike other organizations, we cannot even pretend we have resources that can “help” prisoners. We – as an organization – made $6 last year. Our Holy Books have gone out of print. We own no buildings. We also do not operate any hospitals or schools. What can we give prisoners? And, more importantly, do we want want they give us? Given our own myriad internal problems it is the height of hubris and stupidity to think we can run an operation like this successfully. The “prison ministry” needs to be officially ended immediately.

“Some leaders have attempted to justify the program to me by insisting that by maintaining an “orthodox” presence in the prison system, the OTO prevents criminals and prisoners from organizing their own “unorthodox” Thelemic cults – underground efforts that would, surely, give us a bad name and lead to PR problems. Given this obituary, it seems like the members of the OTO are perfectly capable of embarrassing the organization in an approved and “orthodox” fashion.

“Sabazius needs to hold himself accountable on this. And the members have to demand that he do so. As disgusting a spectacle as this obituary for a child killer is, the silence from the OTO that will greet this revelation is going to be even worse.”

Sabazius DID respond to this disgusting obituary. You can read his first response here:

http://invisiblebasilica.blogspot.com/2012/08/93-in-1980-e.html

After this appalling attempt at denial and face-saving, he had to try to back-pedal:

http://invisiblebasilica.blogspot.com/2012/08/drw-postscript.html

Note the date of this one: August 14, 2012 e.v.

Two days later David Ray Taylor, who – like Donald Ray Wallace was also part of the OTO’s “Prison Ministry” – was arrested.

Shiva
    Participant

Well. Okay. But this is rather old news. The blogs were from Aug 2012, but even those are almost two years old. It is possible that murdering freaks can appear within (or loosely affiliated with) any religion or philosophical entity. So any links to OTO are neither here nor there. It seems you (Keith) are not pleased with how OTO “authorities” handled the matter. You may be right. It almost seems as though the “handling” was a measure of self-defense (defense of image and proclamation of non-involvement.

I was not aware of any “prison ministry.” This seems like a foolish concept – but them who am I to judge?

I am also intrigued by the $6 profit figure. Was this in a year? Was this for Portland OTO, or OTO-USA, or OTO-Int’l? Also, OTO is supposed to be a non-profit-org, so such orgs must usually use creative bookkeeping in order to NOT show a profit, as any profit is essentially forbidden by the establishment. Of course, ANY funds channeled into a “prision ministry” seem to be a waste of time, although such concepts are often linked to religious organizations.

I am not trying to make any specific point here, nor to be critical of you or OTO – I’m just making some observations and comments. Since OTO has decided that Solar Lodge was NOT an OTO-linked org, then all of this is really none of my business.

But then, Solar Lodge operated in such a manner that it had piles of cash and tons of property. So I can’t help but wonder what we did “right” and current OTO is doing “wrong” in the financial department. I’ll probably never know.

wellreadwellbred
    Participant
    "Shiva" wrote:
    But then, Solar Lodge operated in such a manner that it had piles of cash and tons of property. So I can’t help but wonder what we did “right” and current OTO is doing “wrong” in the financial department. I’ll probably never know.

Shiva, in which one of your books, do you in most detail describe the manners of the operations leading to the Solar Lodge, having “had piles of cash and tons of property”? And what was the Solar Lodge’s policy on prospective members with a conviction for murder, or for current members being convicted for murder?

Keith418
    Participant

“I do blame the Catholic Church,” says Corless. “I blame the families as well but people were afraid of the parish priest. I think they were brainwashed. I suppose the lesson is not to be hiding things. To face up to reality.

“My fear is that if things aren’t faced now it’s very easy to slide back into this kind of cover-up again. I want the truth out there. If you give people too much power it’s dangerous.”

(from http://www.irishcentral.com/opinion/cahirodoherty/Galway-historian-reveals-truth-behind-800-orphans-in-mass-grave.html)

People in the OTO often look down on “brainwashed” Christians. If they let their own leadership slide, are they any different?

Shiva
    Participant
    "wellreadwellbred" wrote:
    Shiva, in which one of your books, do you in most detail describe the manners of the operations leading to the Solar Lodge, having “had piles of cash and tons of property”?

That would be Inside Solar Lodge – Behind the Veil, where a reviewer jumped on the bandwagon by saying:

“The truth about the Solar Lodge is important, because if nothing else, it served as a bridge between the disappointing Agape Lodge and the later emergence of O.T.O. Inc. It was a shaky bridge, to be sure, but it was financially successful, something Crowley would have loved to have seen from Agape Lodge … In one respect, Solar Lodge had been at that point the only successful implementation of Crowley’s O.T.O. vision yet, anywhere in the world, because they did it “in business way!” … This was not a bunch of acid-addled hippies just imagining in the cannabis smoke a new way of life, outside the system. They were well on their way to making it happen – a more or-less self-sustaining Thelemic community.”

The buildup of funds was certainly not from initiation fees or dues and subscriptions, as that aspect of the Lodge operated at a loss. And it wasn’t from publishing, as that aspect was just a hobby and turned no profit. The income/profit came from old fashioned hard work. We operated a bookstore, a gas station, a dental office, and a cafe. These ventures were staffed by initiates (period – no outsiders).

And what was the Solar Lodge’s policy on prospective members with a conviction for murder, or for current members being convicted for murder?

Well, there was no policy because no prospective member was ever a murderer (or even had a criminal record). And no “current” member was ever involved in a murder.

Although, humorously, we were accused of kidnapping and killing a dental student, and then burying his body under our statue of a buddha that resided in plain view of the street at Solar Lodge #1 on 30th Street in Los Angeles. 😮  This accusation came from some mindless,  left-field fanatic, and it never got to an official investigation by the Establishment.

Isn’t it a hoot to learn that the last I heard of the remnants of Solar Lodge, there were only 8 members left – and one of them was the supposed victim of the Buddha-burial.  😉

wellreadwellbred
    Participant
    "Shiva" wrote:
    The buildup of funds was certainly not from initiation fees or dues and subscriptions, as that aspect of the Lodge operated at a loss. And it wasn’t from publishing, as that aspect was just a hobby and turned no profit. The income/profit came from old fashioned hard work. We operated a bookstore, a gas station, a dental office, and a cafe. These ventures were staffed by initiates (period – no outsiders).

My impression from the information you provide, is that Solar Lodge in its time could stand up to the Scientologists when it came to being effective at building up funds, as the latter have historically been good at building up funds. Am I right in having such an impression Shiva?

"Shiva" wrote:
    Well there was no policy [about murder convictions] because no prospective member was ever a murderer (or even had a criminal record). And no “current” member was ever involved in a murder.

Although, humorously, we were accused of kidnapping and killing a dental student, and then burying his body under our statue of a buddha that resided in plain view of the street at Solar Lodge #1 on 30th Street in Los Angeles. 😮 

The Scientology movement founded by L. Ron Hubbard, has a reputation for hostile action toward its perceived enemies, and anyone who criticizes it in a public forum. A document from him about  the “correct procedure” for attacking enemies of Scientology, dated 25 February 1966, and titled Hubbard Communications Office Policy Letter, contains the following:

“I speak from 15 years of experience in this. There has never yet been an attacker who was not reeking with crime. All we had to do was look for it and murder would come out. “

Was the Solar Lodge critical of Scientology in public forums, or did the Scientology movement founded by L. Ron Hubbard perceive the Solar Lodge to be an enemy of Scientology? And if so, was the Solar Lodge targeted with more or less subtle accusations of being a criminal and or disreputable organization?

***And by the way, in which of your books (if any), do you provide most details about the relationship between the Solar Lodge and Scientologists?

newneubergOuch2
    Participant

Took long enough to move from the FB thelemite pages and others to finally make it to lashtal.

newneubergOuch2
    Participant

Took long enough to move from the FB thelemite pages and others to finally make it to lashtal.but fair enough as the court case just finished.
    An interesting read thank you.

Keith418
    Participant

I keep wondering if there are many other cases like this that they have managed to cover up. There were many things that came up in the trial that did not make it into the newspaper accounts – namely slides shown during the trial of Taylor’s magical tools, his copy of Liber Al, and the fact that he took a “trophy” from his victim and burned it while speaking in an a language that “wasn’t English.”

I’m sure the OTO’s leaders are desperately hoping that this story, and their own involvement with this rapist and killer, while knowing he was already guilty of one previous brutal murder, doesn’t make the larger media. But I worry that unless people know about this situation and really learn from it, the same thing will keep happening over and over again.

Shiva
    Participant
    My impression from the information you provide, is that Solar Lodge in its time could stand up to the Scientologists when it came to being effective at building up funds, as the latter have historically been good at building up funds. Am I right in having such an impression Shiva?

Well, yes and no. Solar Lodge only had about 75 members overall (1965-72), and about 50 members at its high point (1969). Scientology had hundreds of members in L.A. alone, and thousands of members around the globe. I am guessing at these figures. On a per capita basis, Solar Lodge generated a very healthy income. For example, when it came time to sell 4 “mansion” propeties in L.A., the profit was exactly one million dollars. I am unable to compare Solar Lodge with other organizations because I don’t have anybody’s financial statements. But the one thing that overwhelmingly counted is found in these quotes from Inside Solar Lodge:

“Time and time again, various researchers and commentators have remarked upon Solar Lodge’s rapid growth, its apparently effortless rise to financial independence, and its unusual application of the A.’.A.’. curriculum to daily life in a group setting.  Other, similar, organizations often appear to grow slowly, to always need or want more money, and they would probably lose a good portion of their membership if the A.’.A.’. Tasks of the Grades was the measuring stick of their common, everyday reality.”

… and …

“WE WERE TOTALLY BROKE when Capricornus finally found her way back to California [in 1966]. There was not even enough money to buy food.  The new age of false economics had arrived and silver coins were no longer being minted. But many silver coins were still in circulation and I had been gathering them in a large jar. This treasure, about seventy-five dollars worth, became our only source for the required, daily funds that allowed us to keep living. We put the valuable silver coins back into circulation. They didn’t last very long, but neither did the financial crisis.”

… and …

“All financing came from Frater Sol’s salary as a high-school teacher, from rental of the apartments, and later, from Frater Shem’s donated income as a dentist, which actually was in the form of goods and not cash. The rental amount paid by USC students and resident members alike was very inexpensive. All funds went into the Work as fast as they came in. There was never a problem with money and there was never a shortage of cash. But, at the same time in those early years, there was never a big pile of cash just sitting around.”

“Piles of cash just sitting around” came later.

The Scientology movement founded by L. Ron Hubbard, has a reputation for hostile action toward its perceived enemies, and anyone who criticizes it in a public forum. Was the Solar Lodge critical of Scientology in public forums, or did the Scientology movement founded by L. Ron Hubbard perceive the Solar Lodge to be an enemy of Scientology?
    … In which of your books (if any), do you provide most details about the relationship between the Solar Lodge and Scientologists?

We had connections within the Los Angeles Police Department – connections that intimately studied that org and its alleged tendency to condone hostiliies against ex-members and critics. What were the results of those “studies” (investigations)?  I believe they (the results) have been extensively published in many places, so I certainly don’t need to comment further here on a public forum. Solar Lodge was NOT/NEVER critical of Scientology in any public manner.

Nowhere in any of my books does the word “Scientology” appear.

fraternovaeres
    Participant
    "Shiva" wrote:
    I am also intrigued by the $6 profit figure. Was this in a year? Was this for Portland OTO, or OTO-USA, or OTO-Int’l? Also, OTO is supposed to be a non-profit-org, so such orgs must usually use creative bookkeeping in order to NOT show a profit, as any profit is essentially forbidden by the establishment. Of course, ANY funds channeled into a “prision ministry” seem to be a waste of time, although such concepts are often linked to religious organizations.

A non-profit organization is not forbidden “by the establishment” from earning and showing a profit in a given fiscal year. This is a gross misunderstanding of what the term “non-profit” means, which results from people merely looking at the word and deciding for themselves what they think it means. You can read more about the actual difference between for-profit and non-profit corporations in the U.S. here: http://www.entrepreneur.com/encyclopedia/nonprofit-corporation

Brother

I was recently corrected by an authority that “not-for-profit” is the correct expression, as opposed to the common expression “non-profit”.

Anyway, I’d prefer to join an organization with an actual PROPHET…

Shiva
    Participant
    "Magickal" wrote:
    I was recently corrected by an authority that “not-for-profit” is the correct expression, as opposed to the common expression “non-profit”.

Oooo! An “authority” you say?  I guess the non-profit corporation (yes, that was the exact term used by the IRS back in 1967) I formed wasn’t real?

Maybe today the terminology has changed, but we all know they mean the same thing.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged-in to reply to this topic.