Home Forums Aleister Crowley Mountaineer Guillarmod’s "Six mois dans l’Himalaya" complete text

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

belmurru
    Participant
    "WilliamThirteen" wrote:
    am i correct in assuming that the photos of AC at home in Jacot-Guillarmod’s photo album are from this visit then?

I don’t know which ones those are (the young Crowley with pipe and winter coat, or the one in shadow standing against the wall used in the Collected Works, those ones?), but as far as I know this is the only time Jacot-Guillarmod visited Boleskine, so they must be from that visit.

I’ve only seen the K2 album photos, not many of the ones around the Kanchenjunga expedition.

William Thirteen
    Participant

the photos are in this book – but i am traveling and don’t have my copy with me…

http://www.letemps.ch/Page/Uuid/3e54419e-16f2-11e2-9647-3f362e417c28/En_1902_Jules_Jacot_Guillarmod_pionnier_au_K2

jamie barter
    Participant
    "belmurru" wrote:

Testing rifles in case a wild sheep is seen in the area.
    28 April. A Haggis spotted in the briar… which I got at the first shot…. Congratulations from Crowley.

I wonder if this could have been related to the same “There‘s a haggis on the hill my lord” joke/ incident Crowley references in the Confessions?

Definitely the same event. The joke loses some of its force, for me, when I understood that, apparently, they simply told him that the Scots call a wild sheep a haggis, and maybe they’ll be able to shoot one. Of course it wasn’t a wild sheep, and it is the dish made from it that is called a haggis, not the animal.

It’s as if a foreigner went to Texas, and they told him that they call a wild boar a ham, and a ham has been spotted on the hill! Let’s go shoot that ham and have a great feast of ham!

A lot of the force of the joke no doubt does depend on what the reader already knows and the context of it therein, but I can remember being greatly amused the first time I read it. 

Being “in the know”, I think we can all appreciate the delicious irony behind Guillarmod’s (everso-slightly-pleased-with-himself, I feel!) diary entry: “Congratulations from Crowley” when all along we know he was well and truly the “butt” of the joke – wasn’t the head of that esteemed “haggis” even mounted & framed in a trophy case for his future delectation (and ridicule!) for posterity?  I wonder where on earth it could be now…maybe in a couple of hundred years time, if it turned up it might have a special place of honour in a museum devoted to Crowleyanity or somesuch, if such a building were ever to conceivably take shape??!

"belmurru" wrote:
    I realize I know nothing of [Rose] as a person in her own right. […] Somebody should take the time to gather together her letters and diary entries from the Warburg (and Austin?) collections (and surely among Kelly’s papers there are some letters); we could at least get to know her better, even if first-hand observations, especially critical ones like Jacot-Guillarmod’s, will be of the rarest type.

Yes, this is a very good suggestion & hopefully may function as a spur for future action by somebody more in a position to do so. 

Crowley’s Scarlet Women tend to be fairly obscure(d) – although thankfully LAShTAL has tried to remedy this by devoting a specific board to them – and Rose along with Leah (and possibly Leila?) was certainly the most prominent among them.

N Joy

belmurru
    Participant

Another apocryphal incident?

Kaczynski, p. 105, no source given –

“Later, delirious with fever, Crowley pulled his Colt revolver on Knowles, who disarmed him with a sharp blow to the stomach. In later years, the gun would occupy Knowles’s mantel beside artworks of Degas, Rodin, Whistler and Guardi.”

Symonds (chapter five “Unassailable Ice Walls”, e.g. The Beast 666 p. 51), no source given: “Upon their [Wessely and Jacot-Guillarmod] return to Camp XI, they found Crowley ill with malaria. His temperature was 103°F and he saw butterflies in the frozen air; he also saw Knowles in an unfavourable light and grabbed his Colt revolver. Knowles did not like Crowley, so when he saw him pointing a gun at him, he jumped at him. Crowley fell over from a short blow to the stomach and his gun, like the butterflies, flew away.”

Neither Crowley, in Vanity Fair (part 5) or the Confessions (p. 318), nor Jacot-Guillarmod (these dates are covered on pp. 246-254 of his book), mentions this event.

It is possible that Symonds got it directly from an aged Knowles, but Kaczynski’s detail about the gun being on Knowles’ mantel suggests that there is some written source somewhere. The only source besides Crowley and Jacot-Guillarmod that Kaczynski uses for Knowles is his obituary in the Alpine Journal, 1959 (p. 589, note 72).

Does anybody know where this story really comes from? 

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged-in to reply to this topic.