Home Forums Aleister Crowley People Helena Petrovna Blavatsky and the Theosophical Society

• This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Tiger 2 months ago.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Falcon
    Participant

Aleister Crowley had a deep respect for Madame Helena Petrovna Blavatsky who founded the Theosophical Society in 1875, the year of Crowley’s birth. In Crowley’s commentary to “The Voice of the Silence,” he gave Blavatsky the grade of 8=3 or Magister Templi in the A.’.A.’., which is extremely high praise. That being said, Crowley was not entirely fond of the Theosophical movement itself, especially the Theosophists who seems to be allied with the movement. Here is a selection of quotations from Aleister Crowley on Theosophists:

Aleister Crowley on Theosophists

christibrany
    Participant

I think it’s funny how he called them Toshosophists as in tosh, nonsense.

Shiva
    Participant

It is well-known that, at one point in his career, AC tried just about everything to gain control of Theosophy. It was wide-flung and had a decent following, so it would have been a great vehicle for reaching the “lesser-endowed” masses of people.

We all know that he took over the Reuss OTO, first by deception, second by politics. But that was so esoteric that it would be more suitable for the “greater-endowed.”

“Endowed,” as herewith used, means “spiritually advanced.”

I haven’t read the quotes you linked, but I assume among them there is the one where he says HPB had a tremendous understanding, but lacked the capacity to properly put her perceptions down on paper (or words to that effect).

I agree. I have read most of HPB’s works. Here and there, a gem arises. But overall, her stuff is really interesting in a theoretical way, but there’s not much practicality.

That’s why V.V.V.V.V. came along: To organize and reveal the practical how-to-do-it stuff.

Too bad he didn’t give us the secret for total liberation (except for continual, constant, never-ending sex, but that’s a real secret and nobody has (or can) let that rabbit out of the bag.

christibrany
    Participant

I like what M. Blavatsky says about ancient civilisations, and root races. It is interesting – I also think AC was right to include Voice in the silence and his commentaries in the Equinox. I think without his commentary it would be far harder to understand.

I would like to read an abridged version of The Secret Doctrine, but first I have to read ‘Secret Teachings of All Ages’ by M. P. Hall which is waiting on my nightstand.

Interestingly enough, of The Secret Doctrine, Manly says ‘The Secret Doctrine assumes the dignity of a scripture, for in its pages eternal mysteries are clothed in ancient and modern terms, and to those who have eyes to see, the ageless wisdom is revealed’

Horemakhet
    Participant

AC was too closely tied to the groups in France under the aegis of Eliphas Levi & PB Randolph to ever give Theosophy more than a nod. Her work is mostly plagiarized, as has been demonstrated, & her ‘Spiritism’ was shown to be a fraud in her own time. There have been apologies for her lies and deliberate charlatinism coming from authors to this day, but this will pass… The ‘Secret Doctrine’ is unreadable, which these cranks at the time passed for profundity.

Shiva
    Participant

Hor: AC was too closely tied to the groups in France… to ever give Theosophy more than a nod.

AC mounted a campaign to take over Theosophy. This was more than a nod. Of course, he wanted it as it had many members.

On the other hand, he didn’t think much of their orientation. His formal “nod” was a definition in Book 4 (I think): “Theosophists are people who talk about Magic, but do no work!”

Horemakhet
    Participant

Ok a Nod, a nominal Bow, & a Sweep of the hand. You make him look desperate, Shiva, & perhaps he was at times, but he was a principled man with an unusual task.

Shiva
    Participant

Hor: You make him look desperate, Shiva,

Well, it’s not widely known, but it is documented (somewhere)(?). He did wage a desperate war to gain control of Theosophy. He lost.

But then Theosophy lost, for it started a slow roll downhill towards obscurity.

& perhaps he was at times,

Oh yeah! Have you read his correspondence with Agape Lodge. Martin Starr published them in his Agape Lodge history, which was really the biography of W. Smith. AC, in his last decade, was in a continual state of desperation. His personality became even more condescending and demanding. His mantra was: “Send Money!”

but he was a principled man with an unusual task.

There’s a thread running live right now about his “principles.” We all know about his unusual task.

AC gave us the Libers. What else do you want? His persona was toxic. Say, it seems like you are defending him?

Tiger
    Participant

from my recollection of reading
    The Golden Dawn was an inner circle f the theosophical society
    Madame Blavatsky was one of the first westerners to get into tibet
    she was a woman disguised her self as a man in order to do it

there was a magical battle between her and paschal beverly randolph
    and he killed himself

A.C.
    thought it worthy enough and adventure
    to walk into their headquarters and pin a note on their bulletin board
    that the world teacher was not jidda but THE BEAT

and perhaps a russian english dynamic might have been involved

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged-in to reply to this topic.