Home Forums Thelema Magick Hint: Leary Is An Emcee

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 81 total)
  • Author

elitemachinery
    Participant

Leary-Huxley

from wikipedia:

“By 1966, recreational drug use, particularly of so-called psychedelic drugs, among America’s youth had reached such proportions that serious concerns about the nature of these drugs and the impact their use was having on American culture were expressed in the national press and halls of government. In response to these concerns, Senator Thomas Dodd of Connecticut convened Senate subcommittee hearings in order to try to better understand the drug-use phenomenon, eventually with the intention of “stamping out” such usage through the criminalizing of these drugs. Leary was one of several expert witnesses called to testify at these hearings. In his testimony, Leary asserted that “the challenge of the psychedelic chemicals is not just how to control them, but how to use them.” He implored the subcommittee not to criminalize psychedelic drug use, which he felt would only serve to exponentially increase its usage among America’s youth while removing the safeguards that controlled “set and setting” provided. When subcommittee member Senator Ted Kennedy of Massachusetts asked Leary if LSD usage was “extremely dangerous,” Leary replied, “Sir, the motor car is dangerous if used improperly…Human stupidity and ignorance is the only danger human beings face in this world.” To conclude his testimony, Leary suggested that legislation be enacted that would require LSD users to be adults who were competently trained and licensed, so that such individuals could use LSD “for serious purposes, such as spiritual growth, pursuit of knowledge, or their own personal development.” He presciently noted that without such licensing, the United States would be faced with “another era of prohibition.” Leary’s testimony proved ineffective; on October 6, 1966, just months after the subcommittee hearings, LSD was banned in California, and by October 1968 LSD was banned in all states as a result of the passage of the Staggers-Dodd Bill.”

Quote:

“Knowledge is really confined to experience. The laws of Nature are, as Kant said, the laws of our minds, and, as Huxley said, the generalization of observed facts.

It is, therefore, no argument against ceremonial magic to say that it is “absurd” to try to raise a thunderstorm by beating a drum; it is not even fair to say that you have tried the experiment, found it would not work, and so perceived it to be “impossible.” You might as well claim that, as you had taken paint and canvas, and not produced a Rembrandt, it was evident that the pictures attributed to his painting were really produced in quite a different way.

You do not see why the skull of a parricide should help you to raise a dead man, as you do not see why the mercury in a thermometer should rise and fall, though you elaborately pretend that you do; and you could not raise a dead man by the aid of the skull of a parricide, just as you could not play the violin like Kreisler; though in the latter case you might modestly add that you thought you could learn.

This is not the special pleading of a professed magician; it boils down to the advice not to judge subjects of which you are perfectly ignorant, and is to be found, stated in clearer and lovelier language, in the Essays of Thomas Henry Huxley.”

― Aleister Crowley

elitemachinery
    Participant

Aleister
    Alice Dear
    aLeiSDear
    LSD

Aleister=LSD

#riddleofaiwass

LSD: A New Religion (True Detective Magazine)

Aleister=LSD

God In A Pill?

“God in a Pill? Meher Baba on L.S.D. and The High Roads was a 1966 pamphlet containing messages from Meher Baba speaking out against taking illicit drugs such as marijuana and LSD, ultimately saying they were harmful “physically, mentally, and spiritually.”

The pamphlet was published in 1966 by Sufism Reoriented using quotes by Meher Baba where he disparaged the view that hallucinogenic and psychedelic drugs, especially LSD, but also marijuana, psilocybin, and other drugs, might be used to elicit meaningful spiritual insight. Meher Baba wrote, “If God can be found through the medium of any drug, God is not worthy of being God.”

“How to take communion”

“Receive the host. Depending on the church and your personal preference, you can either have the host fed to you or handed to you. In the Traditional Rite, the host is fed to you. Open your mouth and extend your tongue so that the host does not fall. The host will be placed on your tongue. Close your mouth and allow the host to dissolve on your tongue while thinking of the sacrifice made.”

Shiva
    Participant

Elite: … the Staggers-Dodd Bill

Aha! So it was the “staggering dodger Will” that did the damage! Now I know the names of the people to blame.

I was right there in the middle of the legal usage days. Here’s an amusing quote from Inside Solar Lodge – Behind the Veil

Before there was a Solar Lodge, there was a small group of people who practiced Raja Yoga and Ceremonial Magick.

This all took place right in the middle of the 1960’s. Legal LSD-25 was flooding the market, The Age of Aquarius was just beginning, and flying saucers were being seen and photographed everywhere in the world.

I always examined the newspaper in the afternoon of the day following any all-night ceremony, and the paper would often (very often) have reports of UFO formations somewhere in the world.

1966 was the beginning of the Mother of All UFO Waves, which lasted throughout 1966 and 1967.
    i
    Correlation Note – A massive first wave of legal LSD-25 entered the bodies and minds of an entire generation of humanity – at the same time that a massive wave of radar-visible UFO sightings was being played out in the world’s skies.

“We are the UFOs,” Capricornus would say, and the newspaper’s flying saucer synchronicity with our ceremonies became so common that it was practically ignored, except to say, “Look! UFOs in the news again!”

And then we would chuckle, shrug and get on with the next task.

elitemachinery
    Participant

Thanks Shiva! Great story.

You talk about Israel Regardie in your book. Can you tell us any more about him? How you knew him? What was he up to in Los Angeles. He was a chiropractor no?

alien ties

dom
    Participant

Does this “thread have a purpose or even a definition?

elitemachinery
    Participant

This might help:

dom
    Participant

Leary. Just another of history’s Irish rebels? An overeducated delinquent? Just another flim-flam man from the “science” of Psychology?

Did Leary ever give a lucid explanation of what ‘True Will’ is? No, therefore I can hardly see how he “continued the work of Crowley”. Unless of course you’re talking about his game-theory contribution to Psychology but I’m sure he never mentions True Will in that work as far as i know. However isn’t all this semantics? Is True Will just about introducing more contentment into our existence?

What about you, could you tell me how Leary continued Crowley’s work?

• This reply was modified 10 months ago by  dom.

elitemachinery
    Participant

HINT: Leary is an emcee

ignant666
    Participant

Those seeking david/dom’s thoughts on how Dr Tim “continued the work of Crowley”, back when david/dom was an enthusiastic advocate of the position he now mocks, can check the posts by “williams” in these threads:

How does Leary’s 8 brain-model of evolution define Crowley’s idea of TW?

https://www.lashtal.com/forums/topic/troll/

Each thread begins with a post by “Anonymous”, who (confusingly) is also david/dom/williams. For some reason relating to Paul ban-hammering david at the end of the very epic “Troll” thread, all his older posts appear as either williams or Anonymous.

This is very helpful to david in consigning his old positions to the memory hole, allowing the absurd result that david is able to respond to elitemachinery making the exact same arguments he did three years ago as if they are the stupidest thing he has ever heard.

dom
    Participant

Isn’t it rude to talk about someone in the third person when I’m here reading the posts? Address me one to one and I just might give you the job of writing the foreword for my hagiography. Hell knows you’re itching to get the job.

Paul didn’t “hammer ban” me either. Are you a tabloid journalist by any chance?

elitemachinery
    Participant

@ignant666 said:

Each thread begins with a post by “Anonymous”, who (confusingly) is also david/dom/williams. For some reason relating to Paul ban-hammering david at the end of the very epic “Troll” thread, all his older posts appear as either williams or Anonymous.

Thanks for this information. I was unaware that @dom has/had multiple accounts he posts under. He was starting to drive me nuts (not a long drive) with his trolling but I figured it was just another “I know everything there is to know about EVERYTHING” Lashtal member the board seems to attract sometimes.

Admittedly, I do use this board as a testing ground for my far out ideas about reincarnation and the Riddle of Aiwass. But I do make an effort to stay on the subject “Aleister Crowley” and I never post under any other account.

For the record this post was added under Magick because I am asserting that in the 1960’s Aleister=LSD “God in a pill.”

Alice Dear
    Aleister
    LSD

God in a pill.

“Hint: Leary is an emcee” is one of many anagrams I post from time to time. “Henry I eat mescaline” is another. That LSD was considered “A New Religion” in the 1960’s and that it was so often taken in much the same way as communion, kind of makes sense considering the riddle. Aleister/LSD was a sacrament.

I’m always glad to hear stories from @shiva as he was one that was actually there in Los Angeles and old enough to participate in the events of the time and remember them. That he reports much UFO activity at the time and that this was not something he and others imagined (constant reports in the newspapers would prove there was agreement among the established powers that be that there was “something happening here”.)

My mother has told me stories of seeing UFO’s during the mid-60’s in Laurel Canyon. Stories where an entire group of adults were mesmerized by a glowing light hovering above the backyard at our house pulsing and changing colors for over an hour. And these were squares/parents/regular folk…not drug users.

Aleister

ignant666
    Participant

Isn’t it rude to talk about someone in the third person when I’m here reading the posts?

No, it isn’t rude. You know perfectly well you are doing exactly what i said you are. Other forum readers may not; my post was addressed to them.

dom
    Participant

@666

No, it isn’t rude. You know perfectly well you are doing exactly what i said you are. Other forum readers may not; my post was addressed to them.

Look i haven’t read that old Leary thread in a while. Am I allowed to have developed my opinions on the matter in that interim? Ask me what i think of Leary’s legacy NOW.

@elitemachinery

Thanks for this information. I was unaware that @dom has/had multiple accounts he posts under. He was starting to drive me nuts (not a long drive) with his trolling but I figured it was just another “I know everything there is to know about EVERYTHING” Lashtal member the board seems to attract sometimes.

I have never had more than one account at the same time. There have been a couple of name-changes in my linear history on the forum yes. There was some glitch whereby my initial/previous “david williams” account wasn’t logging in, i messaged Paul and eventually we sorted it out. I seemed to be “david” then “Williams” and some of those posts are now “Anon”. If i was more I.T. savvy i could give you an answer why this is the case. Then when the new forum happened I decided to use a new name, my present forum name.

Happy to have stopped that ignant-generated disinformation for you. Always try to rise above and see through any rumours. Y’know someone might call someone out for being “the wickedest man in the world”. Go deeper, ask why?

By the way it would help if you didn’t write in riddles so we don’t have to guess what you’re actually talking about. I had no idea what you meant by “Leary is an Emcee” and no, I don’t know everything but i do know that your main man Louv is bad news. Sorry about that.

elitemachinery
    Participant

ignant666
    Participant

david/dom/williams/anonymous has edited his post #103451 after i replied to it.

Perhaps i misinterpreted this post (#91590) by Paul, the one that ended the “Troll” thread, and the events that followed:

“david” wrote:
    Its unfair to accuse Los of trolling when Michael gets away with such shit.

Thread locked and your account will be subject to pre-moderation until such time as you demonstrate familiarity with the Guidelines. I’m actually baffled that you would think a comment like this about any fellow site member could ever be appropriate.

Very disappointing, david. And I’m not massively impressed with Los for repeating the quote with approval. You could both do with ‘getting over yourselves’, to be honest.

This was followed by a Period of Silence from your former “david” persona. Then you rejoined the forum under a new name (the current “dom” persona). I rapidly deduced that new poster “dom” had a very similar posting style to old poster “david”, and repeatedly asked you if you were the same person, before you finally admitted it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 81 total)
  • The topic ‘Hint: Leary Is An Emcee’ is closed to new replies.