Home Forums Thelema Thelema How many lashtalians are (c)OTO members?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 84 total)
  • Author

ignant666
    Participant

It seems to me that no regular posters here are members of the (c)OTO. Is this correct?

Certainly in years past there were many members here, but it seems to me the numbers have at least diminished. Of course, the overall numbers of posters has also diminished, despite thousands of lurkers daily.

To the extent i am correct- why would that be, if anyone knows or cares to speculate?

Do (c)OTO members have a private forum where cowans are banned?

Or are we forbidden to them, perhaps as a “centre of pestilence”?

• This topic was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  ignant666.

Tiger
    Participant

Or are we forbidden to them, perhaps as a “centre of pestilence”?

Troglodyte possibly in their view ?

elitemachinery
    Participant

I am NOT an OTO member and currently have no interest in joining.

I have a friend who was in the process of joining in 2010. I think he followed through with it but I never asked him and we haven’t spoken in a while.

From what he told me it looked like a mail order membership just fill out the form and send a check.

No thanks.

P.S. I do however subscribe to LAShTAL @ 5 quid a month and I would encourage active posters to make a donation of some sort also. Another way to contribute is to buy a book (or a washing machine) from Amazon within 24 hours after clicking on the Amazon book ads on the right.

pegasus
    Participant

I’m going with I don’t know. I think DOM maybe part of Aus OTO and I am not sure why I have that thought in my mind.

Personally as a thelemaite .. (I like that a in thelemaite shhh) working alone takes you in great steps, you are not bound into set deeds or initiations or rituals, you only have self discipline to grow or shrink and so you experience more limitless of self.

I would like to see inside, the OTO, A.A, typhonian order, fraterni Saturn, masons, and others, just to know the truth and whys each does what they do and for the missing bits.

But that is curious me. Sometimes I think to join them, (never when I have money of course always when I am broke AF)with faint thought of degrees to be able to see what I am doing comparably, but once again, going back to that limitless, so it is only a fleeting thought. Studying whatever you want to when ever you want to is awesome and I guess I would like to know if the OTO allows that but yeah nah, I like doing it my way.

Some or all members here maybe in OTO and others may prefer to work alone like I mentioned above, maybe they have a secret code like the 93’s as a signature, or they have a secret handshake, radio station, forum of their own. Maybe they have meetings on the astral plane or even as a collective are very borg like. It could be a bit like Anonymous I guess, “We are Anonymous, We are Legion, We do not Forgive, We do not Forget, Expect Us”!

I’d like to get to know them and their work but not so much by joining them.

To Quote my Master Oogway like Tiger =“Or are we forbidden to them, perhaps as a “centre of pestilence”?”

Troglodyte possibly in their view ?

troglodyte (ˈtrɒɡləˌdaɪt)
    n
    1. (Anthropology & Ethnology) a cave dweller, esp one of the prehistoric peoples thought to have lived in caves
    2. informal a person who lives alone and appears eccentric

Yup seems legit. Emphasis on APPEARS

Thank you for your post and thought provoking nudge both of you:)

Elite Machinery P.S. I do however subscribe to LAShTAL @ 5 quid a month and I would encourage active posters to make a donation of some sort also. Another way to contribute is to buy a book (or a washing machine) from Amazon within 24 hours after clicking on the Amazon book ads on the right.

Yes I have donated, went to set up a regular donation, stuffed it up, so just donate now when I can. This place is a godsend to me. The friends what live in my computer and my head.

Can you explain that second bit, one of the books? Would I be presumptuous in thinking that by doing that someone gets paid or it helps from ad revenue?

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  pegasus.

wellreadwellbred
    Participant

ignant666: “Or are we forbidden to them, perhaps as a “centre of pestilence”?”

Maybe, if the OTO has a policy a strictly literal adherence to the following words from the so called the Tunis Comment: “Those who discuss the contents of this Book are to be shunned by all, as centres of pestilence.”

“The Tunis Comment to the Book of the Law
    THE COMMENT.

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

The study of this Book is forbidden. It is wise to destroy this copy after the first reading.

Whosoever disregards this does so at his own risk and peril. These are most dire.

Those who discuss the contents of this Book are to be shunned by all, as centres of pestilence.

All questions of the Law are to be decided only by appeal to my writings, each for himself.

There is no law beyond Do what thou wilt.

Love is the law, love under will.

The priest of the princes,
    Ankh-f-n-khonsu”

Jamie J Barter
    Participant

Say, you don’t mean to say that the “[C].O.T.O.”‘s still going, do you?

Hard to tell, ain’t it!? It’s not as if you could tell by the amount of books they put out anymore, is it…

If you know what I mean?
    Norma N Joy Conquest

Jamie J Barter
    Participant

I don’t think it’s any secret, but one-time Lashtalian and poster, @manofwycombe, was/is also a [C.}O.T.O. member. A very senior member.

I’m not aware that he (or any others) are “gagged” from participating, but I wouldn’t be that surprised if there wasn’t something in it (in the sense at least of being “encouraged” from on high not to do so). But perhaps, if he’s reading this and not otherwise engaged and too busy with lots of other things, he can offer an opinion on all of the above and as to why there seem to be so few posters who can be (or want to be) identified as such ([C}.O.T.O. members), and any possible reasons why that could be so.

Otherwise we know not what to think, and continue to speculate ourselves away in the dark (and I did say “speculate” there missus. Ooo yes.)

Sent whilst channelling the shade of Frankie Howerd,
    N Joy

Shiva
    Participant

I never herd of Frank Cowherd.

ignant666
    Participant

Well, Jamie, after almost a full calendar month, and not one Lashtalian chiming in to say “Yes, I am a proud member of the ‘OTO’!”, we may be entitled to conclude that they are, um, avoiding us.

I wonder why? Many folks here were enthusiastic (c)OTO partisans when i signed on a dozen or so years back.

Is the new policy of “Duplicity”, sorry “Duplexity” [spellcheck suggests “perplexity”- hmmmm], responsible?

Off to bar-be-que pork ribs, eggplants (aka “aubergines” for the Brits), and zucchinis (aka “courgettes”), in celebration of the US Labor Day holiday today!

Felicitations to all, doughty (but silent)(c)OTO members, the weak, expelled, and cast-out, and the never-could-be-bothered-to-join, alike!

Jamie J Barter
    Participant

[…] I wonder why? Many folks here were enthusiastic (c)OTO partisans when i signed on a dozen or so years back.

I think the answer is in your earlier use of the sentiment pride, just above. What the merry fuck incentive does a [C].O.T.O initiate have to be a “proud member” of it these days (never mind about their being firm and erect – I mean, ‘correct’ there also)?

Is there even one thing such members are able to point to in their recent history and say “I am proud to be associated with that”? Bullying smaller independent publishers with the implicit threat of the copyrights; getting their heavyweight lawyers to lean heavily on the little person; doing absolutely sweet f.a. to print new Crowley or keep the old stuff properly in print; and signally failing to carry out its primary duty, the propagation of the Law…. not a single one of these things should ordinarily provoke any feeling in any single one of them who are literally worth their salt other than the most damnable abject & crushing disappointment and shame.

Is the new policy of “Duplicity”, sorry “Duplexity” [spellcheck suggests “perplexity”- hmmmm], responsible?
    Sorry, I haven’t come across this one before. Can you possibly supply a little more information please?

I hope Labor Day goes well. We don’t have one over here in Britland.

I never herd of Frank Cowherd.
    Norve I. Have you ever cum across Abbie Normal though? (Clue: he can be found during the course of Igor’s search for brains in Young Frankenstein).)

Nay, nay, and thrice nay: never upon your nellie!
    Z Joy

ignant666
    Participant

To understand the recent (c)OTO doctrine of “duplexity”, it is important to understand that a certain A.’. A.’. is now the only one the (c)OTO considers “legitimate”, with all other A.’. A.”, “claimants” now “clandestine”.

“Duplexity” is the (c)OTO policy whereby Motta-lineage disciple J. Daniel Gunther is recognized as the A.’. A.’. “World Teacher” (and possibly the “Messiah of the New Aeon” (though his disciples are being coy when they say “possible Messiah”)).

As a certain deceased British poet and mountaineer might have said, upon being apprised of these facts “Holy New Aeonic Krishnamurtis, Batman!” (if, of course, said deceased British poet and mountaineer were, like me, a product of ’60s pop culture).

This reddit thread, with Lon Milo Duqette (the senior living (c)OTO member) declining to “endorse or support any claims or suggestion that any living person [ie Gunther] is the next ‘World Teacher’ or other such messianic appellation”, contrary to current orthodoxy within that California-based organization, ought to get those new to the “duplexity” doctrine started:

Missive from OTO senior living member and Deputy Grand Master Lon Milo Duquette from thelema

Personally, if i, as a Secret Chief, were choosing an earthly vehicle, i’d pick one with a tad bit more of a chin than the good Lord has given old J. Daniel.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  ignant666.

wellreadwellbred
    Participant

ignant666: “Personally, if i, as a Secret Chief, were choosing an earthly vehicle, i’d pick one with a tad bit more of a chin than the good Lord has given old J. Daniel.”

A photo by Joseph Thiebes (a (c)OTO member?), is of a whiteboard used by J. Daniel Gunther 3 May 2009 in (c)OTO’s Sekhet-Maat Lodge.

The following is written on the upper half of this whiteboard:

“VOCATVS ATQVE NON VOCATVS DEVS ADERIT”

The following is written on the lower half of this whiteboard:

“ADONAI
    |
    v
    v.v.v.v.v.
    |
    v
    MAGISTER
    |
    v
    ADEPT
    |
    v
    SCRIBE”

ignant666
    Participant

wrwb: Do you think the whiteboard writing you quote may be a talisman to improve the World Teacher’s chin?

Baffled by your post, not for the first time.

wellreadwellbred
    Participant

My point is:

As a policy, the (c)OTO appears to follow a strictly literal adherence to the line “Those who discuss the contents of this Book are to be shunned by all, as centres of pestilence.”, from The Tunis Comment to The Book of the Law.

Given that this is the case, then if someone inside this OTO, was recognised as being inspired akin to how supposedly Crowley was inspired by Adonai, as the scribe of certain important texts (- this is entirely hypothetical, of course, I am merely speculating here -) then the said OTO would not be likely to encourage its members to participate in discussions about it outside this organisation.

ignant666
    Participant

Thank you for clarifying your very cryptic post, wrwb. I don’t think you are correct that the (c)OTO adheres to a literal reading of the Tunic Comment- they have published reams of discussion of the contents of AL.

As to your point that they may be forbidden to discuss the “Duplex Messiah” with outsiders: It seems to me that being a “World Teacher” sort of requires that profanes, cowans, and the general public be aware of your existence, or how could you be the their Teacher?

You can’t play Messiah, and hide your light under a bushel- you have to pick one, or the other. That said, all concerned are surprisingly coy about the whole thing. It may be down to the simple incompetence at promulgation Jamie mentions.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 84 total)
  • You must be logged-in to reply to this topic.