Home Forums Administration Introductions How to join the AA?

• This topic contains 102 replies, has 32 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 2 years, 6 months ago.
Viewing 13 posts - 91 through 103 (of 103 total)
  • Author

ignant666
    Participant

Mysterious hints at Thelemic “messiahs” possibly incarnate Dalai Lama-style in certain high-ranking members give me the willies. Wisdom is said to be found above.
    I will say no more, and may well have said more than some will like.
    Caveat emptor (et lector), your mileage may vary, never void where prohibited by law, etc.

Candide
    Participant

I’d also agree that the “creepy cult vibe” is off-putting. In fact I’d go so far as to call it a warning sign. Although I’d not deny anyones right to claim connection to the A.’.A.’. if they happened to have piece of paper from a guy who had a piece of paper etc etc leading all the way from the founder.

I don’t however see any reason to collate a paper trail with any sort of apostolic succession of the dalai-lama sort or the christian Papal sort, in fact I think that people making such claims are either delusional, or are trying to exert control from a weak position by claiming authority from an unverifiable source, which is a classic cult tactic. 

If it barks like a dog…….

Shiva
    Participant
    "Candide" wrote:
    I’d not deny anyones right to claim connection to the A.’.A.’. if they happened to have piece of paper from a guy who had a piece of paper etc etc leading all the way from the founder.

You are confusing the planes. It’s the OTO that demands a written charter in order to carry on the initiatory work. A.’.A.’. has no such rule or even a tradition of requiring any such paper.

I think that people making such claims are either delusional, or are trying to exert control from a weak position by claiming authority from an unverifiable source, which is a classic cult tactic.

It might acually be a case of … AC having “initiated” someone (like Jane Wolfe or Achad), who then “initiated” someone (like Seckler or Burlingame), who then “initiated” someone (like McMurtry or Eshelman or Capricornus), who then “initiated” someone like Cornelius or Frater Shem). In which case the “claim” would be legitimate (that is, “true”), and there’s no need for a piece of paper.

On the other hand, there is historical evidence that some folks have claimed A.’.A.’. derivation, but the “people trail” is unproven, or as you say, “unverifiable,” or (heaven forbid) it has been shown to be an outright, invented falsehood. Buyer beware!  Oh, actually, it’s free – so “joiner” beware!

If it barks like a dog …

… then it’s probably a dog. In OTO terms, a charter is required because (1) it’s a freemason tradition, and OTO is a masonic offshoot, and (2) no “work” is required in order to progress through the grades. It’s kind of an “old boys network” where one gets elevated because one fits in and gets along with whomever is in charge and is signing the required charters.

On the other foot, A.’.A.’. requires actual “work” to progress. So the system is self-regulating. Any claimant who allows his/her students to advance, when they haven’t done all the work required (in the various papers labelled A, B, C, D, etc), may prosper for a while, but in the long run will prove itself false.

Anyway, A.’.A.’. was set up as a system of self-initiation, so anybody can have a go at it. But, frankly, anyone who is silly enough to openly “claim” A.’.A.’. status is simply asking for trouble in these modern times. I know of some folks who have adopted the curriculum, and the oaths, of the A.’.A.’., but who were smart enough to change the formal name of their system … and they required that the “work” be done exactly as prescibed, and, sure enough, they prospered and produced initiates (not drones), and they never fell afoul of the law or society or those other competing groups.

jamie barter
    Participant
    "Shiva" wrote:
    … then it’s probably a dog. In OTO terms, a charter is required because (1) it’s a freemason tradition, and OTO is a masonic offshoot, and (2) no “work” is required in order to progress through the grades. It’s kind of an “old boys network” where one gets elevated because one fits in and gets along with whomever is in charge and is signing the required charters.

I am shocked and appalled to read of such an allegation, shocked and appalled.  (Think of the reaction of Louis, the prefect of police in the film Casablanca, upon discovering that gambling is taking place under his very nose – that should give you a clearer picture of my reaction…) 

What can the world be coming to?

Shaken to my very foundations,
    Norma N Joy Conquest

Candide
    Participant
    "Shiva" wrote:
    You are confusing the planes. It’s the OTO that demands a written charter in order to carry on the initiatory work. A.’.A.’. has no such rule or even a tradition of requiring any such paper.

Not so much confusing the planes as being a bit vague in my use of language, although I’ll have to politely disagree with your assertion that A.’.A.’. has no tradition of paperwork. Since from A.C. onwards there have been oath papers that are signed by the initiates superior.

On the other hand paperwork is not the most important thing, no paperwork can ever replace hard work, and those Grade forms are pretty easy to forge, and so if (hypothetically speaking) I wanted proof that such and such an individual was connected to the Order founded by AC and Jones then I’d not necessarily trust such documentation since the forms are readily available online and any Tom Dick or Harry could sign them and tell me they came from a particular link back to the Founders.

On the other hand, when it comes to whether an individual is a member of the A.’.A.’. proper, who could tell? There are a few rules of thumb but I wont bore you with cliched quotes from AC’s writings.

It might acually be a case of … AC having “initiated” someone (like Jane Wolfe or Achad), who then “initiated” someone (like Seckler or Burlingame), who then “initiated” someone (like McMurtry or Eshelman or Capricornus), who then “initiated” someone like Cornelius or Frater Shem). In which case the “claim” would be legitimate (that is, “true”), and there’s no need for a piece of paper.

Exactly that, yet such initiation does involve paperwork as already mentioned, or at least it did in Crowley’s day and could perhaps be said to be part of the system, not that paperwork is necessary for enlightenment, it’s just part of the particular system that we are discussing.

On the other hand, there is historical evidence that some folks have claimed A.’.A.’. derivation, but the “people trail” is unproven, or as you say, “unverifiable,” or (heaven forbid) it has been shown to be an outright, invented falsehood. Buyer beware!  Oh, actually, it’s free – so “joiner” beware!

Agreed, I’d regard it as part of the filtering process.

On the other foot, A.’.A.’. requires actual “work” to progress. So the system is self-regulating. Any claimant who allows his/her students to advance, when they haven’t done all the work required (in the various papers labelled A, B, C, D, etc), may prosper for a while, but in the long run will prove itself false.

Agreed, and no amount of paperwork, sparkly charters or secret passwords can replace that.

Anyway, A.’.A.’. was set up as a system of self-initiation, so anybody can have a go at it. But, frankly, anyone who is silly enough to openly “claim” A.’.A.’. status is simply asking for trouble in these modern times. I know of some folks who have adopted the curriculum, and the oaths, of the A.’.A.’., but who were smart enough to change the formal name of their system … and they required that the “work” be done exactly as prescibed, and, sure enough, they prospered and produced initiates (not drones), and they never fell afoul of the law or society or those other competing groups.

Self-initiation with guidance; A bit like Open University dont you think?.  Some could certainly do so without any formal connection to the A.’.A.’., although calling themselves an A.’.A.’. initiate would basically be a lie in all bu the highest sense (i.e. if they happened to be in essence an 8=3 or higher, and at that point only the individual concerned would know for sure.

Actually I completely agree with what you say about openly claiming a connection, as these days the A.’.A.’. does get dragged into to all sorts of political disputes which have nothing at all to do with the great work. And I like what you say about changing the name of the system, its something that has occurred to me in the past since the name carries a lot of baggage. The other option is to operate completely underground, no website or contact address in books published by associate Orders.

Fomalhaut
    Participant

I joined 😉

Shiva
    Participant
    "Fomalhaut" wrote:
    I joined 😉

Congratulations … I guess. Hopefully you hooked up with the real thing and not a group of imposters – as described by Therion in Magick:

[align=center:3fsk9d4a]The True Order presents the True Symbols, but avoids attaching the True Name thereto; it is only when the Postulant has taken irrevocable Oaths and been received formally, that he discovers what Fraternity he has joined. If he have taken false symbols for true, and find himself magically pledged to a gang of rascals, so much the worse for him![/align:3fsk9d4a]

Candide
    Participant

And don’t be afraid to ask about the group you are joining, ask where they originate from, even ask about ‘lineage’. An imposter group will put you off with such banalities as: “There are no lineages”, or will begin by telling you that all the other groups are ‘pretenders’.

There’s nothing wrong with independent AA based groups, such entities should be judged on their results although I do feel that such groups should be open about their position, rather than waiting until the candidate has signed oaths before letting them in on the ‘little secret’.

Bottom line: AA is not a political entity, judge each by there actions and words and don’t be fooled in by imposing rhetoric, ‘us and them’ mentalities or other cult-type behavior.

williams
    "Fomalhaut" wrote:
    I joined 😉

Let us know how it goes.  Hope you find what you need.

Anonymous

POINT ONE: An Account of A∴A∴ sub figurâ XXXIII
    A∴A∴ Publication in Class C

[The Revisers wish to acknowledge gratefully the translation of Madame de Steiger, which they have freely quoted.]

It is necessary, my dear brothers, to give you a clear idea of the interior Order; of that illuminated community which is scattered throughout the world, but which is governed by one truth and united in one spirit.

This community possesses a School, in which all who thirst for knowledge are instructed by the Spirit of Wisdom itself; and all the mysteries of nature are preserved in this school for the children of light. Perfect knowledge of nature and of humanity is taught in this school. It is from her that all truths penetrate into the world; she is the school of all who search for wisdom, and it is in this community alone that truth and the explanation of all mystery are to be found. It is the most hidden of communities, yet it contains members from many circles; nor is there any Centre of Thought whose activity is not due to the presence of one of ourselves. From all time there has been an exterior school based on the interior one, of which it is but the outer expression. From all time, therefore, there has been a hidden assembly, a society of the Elect, of those who sought for and had capacity for light, and this interior society was the Axle of the R.O.T.A. All that any external order possesses in symbol, ceremony, or rite is the letter expressive outwardly of that spirit of truth which dwelleth in the interior Sanctuary. Nor is the contradiction of the exterior any bar to the harmony of the interior.

Hence this Sanctuary, composed of members widely scattered indeed but united by the bonds of perfect love, has been occupied from the earliest ages in building the grand Temple (through the evolution of humanity) by which the reign of L.V.X. will be manifest. This society is in the communion of those who have most capacity for light; they are united in truth, and their Chief is the Light of the World himself, V.V.V.V.V., the One Anointed in Light, the single teacher for the human race, the Way, the Truth, and the Life.

The interior Order was formed immediately after the first perception of man’s wider heritage had dawned upon the first of the adepts; it received from the Masters at first-hand the revelation of the means by which humanity could be raised to its rights and delivered from its misery. It received the primitive charge of all revelation and mystery; it received the key of true science, both divine and natural.

But as men multiplied, the frailty of man necessitated an exterior society which veiled the interior one, and concealed the spirit and the truth in the letter, because many people were not capable of comprehending great interior truth. Therefore, interior truths were wrapped in external and perceptible ceremonies, so that men, by the perception of the outer which is the symbol of the interior, might by degrees be enabled safely to approach the interior spiritual truths.

But the inner truth has always been confided to him who in his day had the most capacity for illumination, and he became the sole guardian of the original Trust, as High Priest of the Sanctuary.

When it became necessary that interior truths should be enfolded in exterior ceremony and symbol, on account of the real weakness of men who were not capable of hearing the Light of Light, then exterior worship began. It was, however, always the type or symbol of the interior, that is to say, the symbol of the true and Secret Sacrament.

The external worship would never have been separated from interior revel but for the weakness of man, which tends too easily to forget the spirit in the letter; but the Masters are vigilant to note in every nation those who are able to receive light, and such persons are employed as agents to spread the light according to man’s capacity and to revivify the dead letter.

Through these instruments the interior truths of the Sanctuary were taken into every nation, and modified symbolically according to their customs, capacity for instruction, climate, and receptiveness. So that the external types of every religion, worship, ceremonies and Sacred Books in general have more or less clearly, as their object of instruction, the interior truths of the Sanctuary, by which man will be conducted to the universal knowledge of the one Absolute Truth.

The more the external worship of a people has remained united with the spirit of esoteric truth, the purer its religion; but the wider the difference between the symbolic letter and the invisible truth, the more imperfect has become the religion. Finally, it may be, the external form has entirely parted from its inner truth, so that ceremonial observances without soul or life have remained alone.

In the midst of all this, truth reposes inviolable in the inner Sanctuary.

Faithful to the spirit of truth, the members of the interior Order live in silence, but in real activity.

Yet, besides their secret holy work, they have from time to time decided upon political strategic action.

Thus, when the earth was nigh utterly corrupt by reason of the Great Sorcery, the Brethren sent Mohammed to bring freedom to mankind by the sword.

This being but partially a success, they raised up one Luther to teach freedom of thought. Yet this freedom soon turned into a heavier bondage than before.

Then the Brethren delivered unto man the knowledge of nature, and the keys thereof; yet this also was prevented by the Great Sorcery.

Now then finally in nameless ways, as one of our Brethren hath it now in mind to declare, have they raised up One to deliver unto men the keys of Spiritual Knowledge, and by His work shall He be judged.

This interior community of light is the reunion of all those capable of receiving light, and it is known as the Communion of Saints, the primitive receptacle for all strength and truth, confided to it from all time.

By it the agents of L.V.X. were formed in every age, passing from the interior to the exterior, and communicating spirit and life to the dead letter, as already said.

This illuminated community is the true school of L.V.X.; it has its Chair, its Doctors; it possesses a rule for students; it has forms and objects for study.

It has also its degrees for successive development to greater altitudes.

This school of wisdom has been for ever most secretly hidden from the world, because it is invisible and submissive solely to illuminated government.

It has never been exposed to the accidents of time and to the weakness of man, because only the most capable were chosen for it, and those who selected made no error.

Through this school were developed the germs of all the sublime sciences, which were first received by external schools, then clothed in other forms, and hence degenerated.

According to time and circumstances, the society of sages communicated unto the exterior societies their symbolic hieroglyphs, in order to attract man to the great truths of their Sanctuary.

But all exterior societies subsist only by virtue of this interior one. As soon as external societies wish to transform a temple of wisdom into a political edifice, the interior society retires and leaves only the letter without the spirit. It is thus that secret external societies of wisdom were nothing but hieroglyphic screens, the truth remaining inviolable in the Sanctuary so that she might never be profaned.

In this interior society man finds wisdom and with her All— not the wisdom of this world, which is but scientific knowledge, which revolves round the outside but never touches the centre (in which is contained all strength), but true wisdom, understanding and knowledge, reflections of the supreme illumination.

All disputes, all controversies, all the things belonging to the false cares of this world, fruitless discussions, useless germs of opinions which spread the seeds of disunion, all error, schisms, and systems are banished. Neither calumny nor scandal is known. Every man is honoured. Love alone reigns.

We must not, however, imagine that this society resembles any secret society, meeting at certain times, choosing leaders and members, united by special objects. All societies, be what they may, can but come after this interior illuminated circle. This society knows none of the formalities which belong to the outer rings, the work of man. In this kingdom of power all outward forms cease.

L.V.X. is the Power always present. The greatest man of his times, the chief himself, does not always know all the members, but the moment when it is necessary that he should accomplish any object, he finds them in the world with certainty ready to his hand.

This community has no outside barriers. He who may be chosen is as the first; he presents himself among the others without presumption, and he is received by the others without jealousy.

If it be necessary that real members should meet together, they find and recognize each other with perfect certainty.

No disguise can be used, neither hypocrisy nor dissimulation could hide the characteristic qualities which distinguish the members of this society. All illusion is gone, and things appear in their true form.

No one member can choose another; unanimous choice is required. Though not all men are called, many of the called are chosen, and that as soon as they become fit for entrance.

Any man can look for the entrance, and any man who is within can teach another to seek for it; but only he who is fit can arrive within.

Unprepared men occasion disorder in a community, and disorder is not compatible with the Sanctuary. Thus it is impossible to profane the Sanctuary, since admission is not formal but real.

Worldly intelligence seeks this Sanctuary in vain; fruitless also will be the efforts of malice to penetrate these great mysteries; all is indecipherable to him who is not ripe; he can see nothing, read nothing in the interior.

He who is fit is joined to the chain, perhaps often where he thought least likely, and at a point of which he knew nothing himself.

To become fit should be the sole effort of him who seeks wisdom.

But there are methods by which fitness is attained, for in this holy communion is the primitive storehouse of the most ancient and original science of the human race, with the primitive mysteries also of all science. It is the unique and really illuminated community which is absolutely in possession of the key to all mystery, which knows the centre and source of all nature. It is a society which unites superior strength to its own, and counts its members from more than one world. It is the society whose members form the republic of Genius, the Regent Mother of the whole World.

Anonymous

POINT TWO: from “One Star in Sight”

3. The Order of the S. S. is composed of those who have crossed the Abyss; the implications of this expression may be studied in Liber 418, the 14th, 13th, 12th, 11th, 10th, and 9th Aethyrs in particular.

All members of the Order are in full possession of the Formulae of Attainment, both mystical or inwardly-directed and Magical or outwardly-directed. They have full experience of attainment in both these paths.

They are all, however, bound by the original and fundamental Oath of the Order, to devote their energy to assisting the Progress of their Inferiors in the Order. Those who accept the rewards of their emancipation for themselves are no longer within the Order.

Members of the Order are each entitled to found Orders dependent on themselves on the lines of the R. C. and G. D. orders, to cover types of emancipation and illumination not contemplated by the original (or main) system. All such orders must, however, be constituted in harmony with the A∴A∴ as regards the essential principles. …

6. … Any neophyte of the Order (or, as some say, any person soever) possesses the right to claim the Grade of Master of the Temple by taking the Oath of the Grade.

Anonymous

POINT THREE: MAGICK WITHOUT TEARS Chapter IX: The Secret Chiefs

Cara Soror,

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

Very glad I am, since at one time I was obliged to be starkly stern about impertinent curiosity, to note that your wish to be informed about the Secret Chiefs of the A.’.A.’. is justified; it is most certainly of the first importance that you and I should be quite clear in our minds about Those under whose jurisdiction and tutelage we both work.

The question is beset with thickets of tough thorn; what is worse, the path is so slippery that nothing is easier than to tumble head first into the spikiest bush of them all.

You justly remind me that one of my earliest slogans was “Mystery is the enemy of Truth;” how then is it what I acquiesce in the policy of concealment in a matter so cardinal?

Perhaps the best plan is for me to set down the facts of the case, so far as is possible, from them it may appear that no alternative policy is feasible.

The first condition of membership of the A.’.A.’. is that one is sworn to identify one’s own Great Work with that of raising mankind to higher levels, spiritually, and in every other way.

Accordingly, it stands to reason that those charged with the conduct of the Order should be at least Masters of the Temple, or their judgment would be worthless, and at least Magi (though not that particular kind of Magus who brings the Word of a New Formula to the world every 2,000 years of so) or they would be unable to influence events on any scale commensurate with the scope of the Work.

Of what nature is this Power, this Authority, this Understanding, this Wisdom—Will?

(I go up from Geburah to Chokmah.)

Of the passive side it is comparatively easy to form some idea; for the qualities essential are mainly extensions of those that all of us possess in some degree. And whether Understanding – Wisdom is “right” or “wrong” must be largely a matter of opinion; often Time only can decide such points.

But for the active side it is necessary to postulate the existence of a form of Energy at their disposal which is able “to cause change to occur in conformity with the Will”—one definition of “Magick.”

Now this, as you know, is an exceedingly complex subject; its theory is tortuous, and its practice encompassed with every kind of difficulty.

Is there no simple method?

Yes: the thaumaturgic engine disposes of a type of energy more adaptable than Electricity itself, and both stronger and subtler than this, its analogy in the world of profane science. One might say, that it is electrical, or at least one of the elements in the “Ring-formula” of modern Mathematical Physics.

In the R.R. et A.C., this is indicated to the Adept Minor by the title conferred upon him on his initiation to that grade: Hodos Camelionis:—the Path of the Chameleon. (This emphasizes the omnivalence of the force.) In the higher degrees of O.T.O.—the A.’.A.’. is not fond of terms like this, which verge on the picturesque—it is usually called “the Ophidian Vibrations,” thus laying special stress upon its serpentine strength, subtlety, its control of life and death, and its power to insinuate itself into any desired set of circumstances.

It is of this universally powerful weapon that the Secret Chiefs must be supposed to possess complete control.

They can induce a girl to embroider a tapestry, or initiate a political movement to culminate in a world-war; all in pursuit of some plan wholly beyond the purview or the comprehension of the deepest and subtlest thinkers.

(It should go without saying that the adroit use of these vibrations enables one to perform all the classical “miracles.”)

These powers are stupendous: they seem almost beyond imagination to conceive.

“Hic ego nec metas rerum nec tempora pono;
    Imperium sine fine dedi.”

as Vergil, that mighty seer and magician of Rome at her perihelion says in his First Book of the Aenead. (Vergil whose every line is also an Oracle, the leaves of his book more sacred, more significant, more sure than those of the Cumaean Sibyl!)

These powers move in dimensions of time and space quite other than those with which we are familiar. Their values are incomprehensible to us. To a Secret Chief, wielding this weapon, “The nice conduct of a clouded cane” might be infinitely more important than a war, famine and pestilence such as might exterminate a third part of the race, to promote whose welfare is the crux of His oath, and the sole reason of His existence!

But who are They?

Since They are “invisible” and “inaccessible,” may They not merely be figments invented by a self-styled “Master,” not quite sure of himself, to prop his tottering Authority?

Well, the “invisible” and “inaccessible” criticism may equally be leveled at Captain A. and Admiral B. of the Naval Intelligence Department. These “Secret Chiefs” keep in the dark for precisely the same reasons; and these qualities disappear instantaneously the moment They want to get hold of you.

It is written, moreover, “Let my servants be few & secret: they shall rule the many & the known.” (AL I, 10)

But are They then men, in the usual sense of the word? They may be incarnate or discarnate: it is a matter of Their convenience.

Have They attained Their position by passing through all the grades of the A.’.A.’.?

Yes and no: the system which was given to me to put forward is only one of many. “Above the Abyss” all these technical wrinkles are ironed out. One man whom I suspect of being a Secret Chief has hardly any acquaintance with the technique of our system at all. That he accepts The Book of the Law is almost his only link with my work. That, and his use of the Ophidian Vibrations: I don’t know which of us is better at it, but I am sure that he must be a very long way ahead of me if he is one of Them.

You have already in these pages and elsewhere in my writings examples numerous and varied of the way in which They work. The list is far from complete. The matters of Ab-ul-Diz and of Amalantrah show one method of communication; then there is the way of direct “inspiration,” as in the case of “Hermes Eimi” in New Orleans.*

Again, They may send an ordinary living man, whether one of Themselves or no I cannot feel sure, to instruct me in some task, or to set me right when I have erred. Then there have been messages conveyed by natural objects, animate or inanimate.† Needless to say, the outstanding example in my life is the whole Plan of Campaign concerning The Book of the Law. But is Aiwaz a man (presumably a Persian or Assyrian) and a “Secret Chief,” or is He an “angel” in the sense that Gabriel is an angel? Is Ab-ul-Diz an Adept who can project himself into the aura of some woman with whom I happen to be living, although she has no previous experience of the kind, or any interest in such matters at all? Or is He a being whose existence is altogether beyond this plane, only adopting human appearance and faculties in order to make Himself sensible and intelligible to that woman?

I have never attempted to pursue any such enquiry. It was not forbidden; and yet I felt that it was! I always insisted, of course, on the strictest proof that He actually possessed the authority claimed by Him! But I felt is improper to assume any other initiative. Just a point of good manners, perhaps?

You ask whether, contact once made, I am able to renew it should I so wish. Again, yes and no. But the real answer is that no such gesture on my part can ever be necessary. For one thing, the “Chief” is so far above me that I can rely on Him to take the necessary steps, whenever contact would be useful; for another, there is one path always open which is perfectly sufficient for all possible contingencies.

Elsewhere I will explain why they picked out so woebegone a ragamuffin as myself to proclaim the Word of the Aeon, and do all the chores appur- tenant to that particular Work.

The Burden is heavier as the years go by; but—Perdurabo.

Love is the law, love under will.

Fraternally,

P.S. Reading this typescript over for “literals,” it struck me that you would ask, very reasonably: “But if the Secret Masters have these boundless powers, why do They allow you to be plagued by printers, held up for lack of secretaries, worried by all sorts of practical problems? . . . Why, in a word, does anything ever go wrong?”

There are several lines of reply; coalescing, they suffice:

1. What is “wrong?” Since four wars is Their idea of “right,” you may well ask by what standard you may judge events.

2. Their Work is creative; They operate on the dull mass of unrealized possibilities. Thus they meet, firstly, the opposition of Inertia; secondly, the recoil, the reaction, the rebound.

3. Things theoretically feasible are practically impossible when (a) desirable though their accomplishment may be, it is not the one feat essential to the particular Work in hand and the moment; (b) the sum total of available energy being used up by that special task, there is none available for side-issues; (c) the opposition, passive or active, is too strong, temporarily, to overcome.

More largely, one cannot judge how a plan is progressing when one has no precise idea what it is. A soldier is told to “attack;” he may be intended to win through, to cover a general retreat, or to gain time by deliberate sacrifice. Only the Commander in Chief knows what the order means, or why he issues it; and even he does not know the issue, or whether it will display and justify his military skill and judgment.

Our business is solely to obey orders: our responsibility ends when we have satisfied ourselves that they emanate from a source which has the right to command.

P.P.S. A visitor’s story has just reminded me of the possibility that I am a Secret Chief myself without knowing it: for I have sometimes been recognized by other people as having acted as such, though I was not aware of the fact at the time.

Anonymous

POINT FOUR: from The Book of Lies chapter 3

THE OYSTER

The Brothers of A.’.A.’. are one with the Mother of the Child.
    The Many is as adorable to the One as the One is to the Many. This is the Love of These; creation-parturition is the Bliss of the One; coition-dissolution is the Bliss of the Many.
    The All, thus interwoven of These, is Bliss.
    Naught is beyond Bliss.
    The Man delights in uniting with the Woman; the Woman in parting from the Child.
    The Brothers of A.’.A.’. are Women: the Aspirants to A.’.A.’. are Men.

Viewing 13 posts - 91 through 103 (of 103 total)
  • You must be logged-in to reply to this topic.