Home Forums Thelema Thelema Male dominated forum. Why? How?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)
  • Author

dom
    Participant

A simple question. Male dominated forum. Why? How?

Video title;

Germaine Greer’s Advice for Young Women: “Be More Like the Hawk”

• This topic was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by  dom.
    • This topic was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by  dom. Reason: Video title;

Horemakhet
    Participant

The forums here change alot over time. In terms of gender perhaps it has been mostly males for the last few years, but the amount of posts available filtered through the guidelines has also dropped so that the traffic is manageable for the webmaster/moderator. All respect to him! Not an easy job. When Ianrons was working for the site the forums were much busier.I wouldn’t worry too much about it, dom.

dom
    Participant

No, “worry” is the wrong term. I’m just curious about it. I assume if the forum was called “Goddesses of Thelema” or “Ladies of Babalon” then it would repel the males. Are the women assuming a subservient role in Thelema just like any Patriarchal cult such as Roman Carholicism or The Anglican Church?

pegasus
    Participant

nun of the females around here has most of the ladies in the pantheons onboard witch balances that maleness out

ps before my changelings greer was not on my list of desired and still nah. All for women stepping up but side by side not one leading not one following

pps I love barbies but my steve austin doll I won from paddlepop comp was just awesomeness.. bionic eye yeah..

ppps no subservient no sitting in backseat and playing shutup

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by  pegasus. Reason: just had to add a teeny bit not even a waffly bit
    • This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by  pegasus. Reason: pps that last word

dom
    Participant

In terms of Thelema a fool is a fool to be despised and a dog is dead no matter what gender they are.

2:45 AL 3:57 AL

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by  dom.

pegasus
    Participant

*sigh

dom
    Participant

Why are you sighing?

Michael Staley
    Participant

@dom

A simple question. Male dominated forum. Why? How?

I’ve been a member of LAShTAL since 2004, and there’s always been an apparent gender imbalance. I say “apparent” because it’s not always easy to tell gender from screen-names, nor from the posts. Similar considerations apply to other forums such as the Facebook pages for ‘Thelema’, ‘Kenneth Grant and the Typhonian Tradition’, and ‘The Art and Writings of Austin O. Spare’; the Temple of Thelema forums; and the ‘Typhonian Mysteries’ forums, to name but a few.

I don’t know “Why?” or “How?”.

dom
    Participant

Thanks for the input Michael.

ignant666
    Participant

A fairly obvious explanation is that comparatively few women are interested in the life and work of AC.

His massive sexism, verging at times on misogyny, might account for this. While i think the common claim that AC was a racist is largely incorrect, his antiquated attitudes towards women are indisputable.

Another case of “the demon Crowley” overshadowing the parts of his work that are valuable.

Michael Staley
    Participant

@ignant666

A fairly obvious explanation is that comparatively few women are interested in the life and work of AC. His massive sexism, verging at times on misogyny, might account for this … his antiquated attitudes towards women are indisputable.

Whilst I largely agree with this, and doubtless it plays a part, an imbalance can also be seen on other forums dealing with, for instance, the work of Spare, or of Kenneth Grant.

ignant666
    Participant

The reason that is so, i think, is that women interested in “occult”/”spiritual” topics are likely to find a friendlier home in the various Wicca/post-Wicca groups and writings.

To further expand on why Thelema in particular (and as a consequence this forum) runs so heavily male, I think the current owners of the trademark “OTO” bear considerable responsibility for the dearth of women in Thelema.

The claims to “legitimacy”, such as they are, of the (c)OTO, and its “duplex”/affiliated Motta-based “A.’. A.’.” (lead by “World Teacher”/”Messiah” Gunther), depend heavily on obscuring and obliterating the huge role in US, and Californian, Thelema of women such as Jane Wolfe and Phyllis Seckler.

The current wave of scandal within that organization around sexual abuse of female members is one consequence. Their apparent embrace of “Alt-Right”/”Trumpismo” politics may not help, in these pussy-hatted days.

Shiva
    Participant

“The names of women members are never revealed.”

ignant666
    Participant

I think the reason for that rule in the “Blue Equinox” fantasy description of the OTO is obvious: the “women members” of the OTO were among the property held in common by the male members (so to speak) of the order.

Since they were the common receptacles of the sacred semen of the “brothers”, their names were held in confidence to protect them from social obloquy.

It’s the little details like that in the history of Thelema that hold back women from participation.

Jamie J Barter
    Participant

Maybe the fact that Thelema was seen by AC sometimes (and was also in the VIIth and VIIIth initiation papers for the O.T.O., which definitely have an Old Aeon touch) as being “solar-phallic” might have something to do with the central point, even though the Crowned & Conquering Child (Hoor) is intended to draw upon the masculine and feminine currents (Isa, Asar) equally.
    (Ignoring for the moment that some consider the Child “himself” to be unbalanced, requiring the further input of the feminine (e.g. The Book of Babalon – Parsons and Pennae Praenumbra – Nema). Kenneth Grant has also stressed the importance of what he saw as the neglected lunar-yonic side).

Norma N Joy Conquest

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by  Jamie J Barter. Reason: having second thoughts, lacking Preview
    • This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by  Jamie J Barter.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged-in to reply to this topic.