Home Forums Thelema Thelema Male dominated forum. Why? How?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 76 total)
  • Author

ignant666
    Participant

Yes, that is pretty clearly his position, Jamie; but having been called on his sexist bullshit, wrwb is backpedaling too fast to post right now.

Jamie J Barter
    Participant

He* must be approaching the light barrier!

N Joy

* I say “he” here, but I suppose to prevent the possibility of being called out on hypocritical grounds one ought try to avoid sexist stereotyping at all times & therefore the implication that wrwb might perversely not be feminine at all (unlikely as it would seem!)

ignant666
    Participant

Incidentally, should anyone care to posit that women just don’t like endless niggling arguments about obscure texts, and so are put off by not Thelema but the tone of this forum, i would suggest that such persons arrange to visit a local university, and meet some female academics.

My students ran about 60% women last time i taught, and seemed to quite like that sort of thing, at least as much as the men.

As far as a more formal data point as to women and their abilities at, and liking for, niggling over obscure texts, 59% of US law students were women last year.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by  ignant666.

wellreadwellbred
    Participant

Michael Staley: “Good way of avoiding the question.”

Good way of sticking to the point of this thread, as far as I understand it, after further clarification of it from the original poster.

ignant666: “… , explain why you think few women post here, …”

I prefer to know know if it is the case that few women post here, instead of me providing more speculation. The women posting here, are relevant sources for more information about what that motivates their involvement on this site.

ignant666
    Participant

But you were so full of opinions (or full of something, anyway) on the OT just moments ago, wrwb!

Accepting for purposes of argument that david’s premise in the OP (“few women post on Lashtal”), which you were perfectly willing to discuss, and offer your mind-bogglingly sexist explanations for, just moments ago (like 45 minutes ago), is correct, why do you think that might be?

Jamie J Barter
    Participant

Well, I’m heartened that you have not seen fit to contradict my assessment of the angle of where it is that you might be coming from here on this thread. Yes, let’s just say nothing further for the moment wrwb! — this must surely be one of those occasions when less = more, that silence speaks louder than words, that further discussion is unnecessary and one only has to read between the lines…

Nose-tappingly & cliché-spoutingly yours
    N joy

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by  Jamie J Barter.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by  Jamie J Barter. Reason: heat affecting typgni! L

ignant666
    Participant

A small point for wrwb to consider: You are mistaken that “[t]he women posting here, are relevant sources for more information” about why few women-who-are-not-them post here.

The “relevant sources for more information” about why few women post here would of course be not “women who post here”, but rather “women who do not post here”.

We are thus left to speculate, since no posters here can answer the question of why others don’t do so.

Greater attention to logic, and English usage, might render your posts less tedious (we hope and pray).

Jamie J Barter
    Participant

wrwb, you are still “avoiding the question”, as Michael pointed out.

Many uninformed female readers reading certain words (“Sacrifice cattle, little and big: after a child.”, “Also he shall slay a young child upon the altar”) in those quoted verses are likely to find them scary and/or creepy. And many of them are likely to dislike the tone of humor or irony behind those words, if the meaning of those words are explained to them.

Do you, or do you not, still stand by these words written three hours ago — and if not, why not? And if so, indeed again : why so?!

Unless you have retired for the night from the proceedings (as I intend to do shortly), in which case there’s always tomorrow…
    N Joy

wellreadwellbred
    Participant

ignant666: “We are thus left to speculate, since no posters here can answer the question of why others don’t do so.”

Access to asking the “women who do not post here”, would mean that we are not only left to speculate. That takes knowing the contact information provided by members of this site that identify as women and that do not post here. And I prefer to know more about the female members of this site who do not post here, instead of me being left to only provide more speculation.

JJB: “Do you, or do you not stand by these words […] ?” Yes, because Aleister Crowley has a rotten reputation in general, but those words are based on speculation on a very general level, not relevant to the point of this thread, as far as I understand this point.

wellreadwellbred
    Participant

Jamie J Barter: “I think wrwrb is trying to say that all women, Thelemites or not, are basically at heart a bunch of silly flibbertigibbet little scaredy-cats. Or sommat like that. Isn’t that right, wrwb?”

My speculation about the likelihood of many uninformed female readers finding it scary and/or creepy to read certain words (“Sacrifice cattle, little and big: after a child.”, “Also he shall slay a young child upon the altar”) in texts associated with Aleister Crowley who has a rotten reputation in general, might be wrong. But on a very general level, I think it is still likely that many uninformed female readers would find such utterances or the humor or irony behind them, dislikeable, disagreeable and/or repulsive. (Such speculation on a very general level is beside the point of this thread as far as I understand, but I post this to nuance my speculation.)

ignant666
    Participant

wrwb: Now that you have finished backpedaling, and admitted that you do think women are stupid or lack a sense of humor, see my replies above when you said this before:

Do you, wrwb, say this because you think women are more easily scared than men, or because you think women are more stupid than men, or because you think women are less capable of understanding irony than men, or is is it that you think women in general lack a sense of humor?

Would “uninformed” male readers react differently, in your view? Why do you think that this is so, if yes?

Are “female readers” more likely to be “uninformed”, in your judgement, wrwb? I assume you have to answer “yes” to offer the reactions of “uninformed female readers” to AC’s work to explain the dearth of female posters here.

We all, “female readers” and “male readers” alike, started out “uninformed”, after all.

wellreadwellbred
    Participant

Such speculation on my part on a very general level is beside the point of this thread as far as I understand, which I understand as being limited to the question[-s] about if it is the case that many women members of this site do not post here, and if this is the case, why they do not post here.

I prefer to know more about the female members of this site who do not post here and why they don’t post here.

Jamie J Barter
    Participant

However ignant666 has already answered this earlier with:

We are thus left to speculate, since no posters here can answer the question of why others don’t do so. Greater attention to logic, and English usage, might render your posts less tedious (we hope and pray).

And since you have repeatedly stated your unwillingness to “speculate” further, wrwb, we seem to be getting to the point where the arguments (such as they are) are going around in ever decreasing circles.

However you have by implication already acknowledged women in general would be “scaredy cats” if they find Crowley scary and/or creepy, and vacuous and flibbertigibbets if incapable of considering these matters deeper.

So Q.E.D. to you!
    N joy

ignant666
    Participant

Could it be, wrwb, that women might avoid posting to this forum because sexists/misogynists like yourself, who think women are humorless, easily spooked, “uninformed”, and dumb, post here?

This would be in addition to whatever deterrence there might be to women taking an interest in AC/Thelema because of his own sexism/misogyny issues, a part of what you call his “rotten reputation” that is richly deserved, unlike the tired canards about blood sacrifice that you say women will find “scary and/or creepy”.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by  ignant666.

dom
    Participant

My impression is that dom’s question pertains to “… women who are basically Thelemites or would-be Thelemites.”, or more precisely “… women who are basically Thelemites or would-be Thelemites.” and also members of this site.
    Correct me if I am wrong here, dom.

I assume that the vast majority of any people of either gender who are avid posters of this forum are either Thelemites or consider themselves to be Thelemites or are occultists. Any who don’t come into those categories must be a minority imo.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by  dom.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 76 total)
  • You must be logged-in to reply to this topic.