Home Forums Thelemic Culture and Crowley in the Media Requests Mr Crowleys eye color

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author

Aum418
    Participant

I believe you are referring to Ace of Disks where he writes ‘To Mega Therion’ and has 666 written on the center of the card.

Prince of Wands reminds me of the Crowned and Conquering Child (Prince, Vav, Child)…. Prince of Wands and I believe 5 of wands feature the Mark of the Beast, I think because of their relation to his rising sign Leo.

93 93/93

Two_Crows
    Participant

Hazel eyes are noted for varying primarily between brown, and green, and to a lesser degree blue, and gray.

Shit is typically brown, but a whole pack of Oreo cookies will turn it black enough to contemplate seeing a doctor.

Both factoids according to experience.

En To Pan!
    Two Crows

ianrons
    Participant
    "priestofal" wrote:
    I don’t have access to my books and Tarot right now, but isn’t there a card in the Thoth deck that A.C. designed to represent himself?
    "KCh" wrote:
    I think, prince of wands.
    "Aum418" wrote:
    I believe you are referring to Ace of Wands where he writes ‘To Mega Therion’ and has 666 written on the center of the card.

He did identify a bit with the Prince of Wands, but the card originally referred to is presumably his personal seal, the Ace of Disks.

Anonymous

Two Crows,

You make a good point in relation to how the colour Hazel does in fact vary, Im personally inclined to follow that line and so I thank you kindly for your sense 😉 .

Two_Crows
    Participant
    "Raych" wrote:
    Two Crows,

You make a good point in relation to how the colour Hazel does in fact vary, Im personally inclined to follow that line and so I thank you kindly for your sense 😉 .

It could certainly explain the conflicting accounts.

En To Pan!
    Two Crows

lashtal
    Keymaster

I am indebted to an internationally renowned Crowley expert – anonymous for the time being – for pointing out that Crowley’s details were recorded on the ship’s manifest in 1914 when he travelled by the Lusitania to America.

In this, Crowley is recorded as follows:

Family Name: Crowley
    Given Name: Edward Alexander
    Years: 39
    Sex: Male
    Married or single: Married
    Able to read: Yes
    Able to write: Yes
    Race: Irish
    Last permanent residence: London
    Nearest relative: Mrs E R Crowley – Mother – 8 Old Orchard Road, Eastbourne
    Destination: New York
    Passage paid by: Self
    Going to: St Regis Hotel, New York
    Height: 5′ 10 1/2″
    Complexion: Dark
    Hair: Dark
    Eyes: Greenish
    Marks of identification: None
    Place of birth: Leamington

kidneyhawk
    Participant

Interesting to note that in this thread’s brief interlude with regards to Crowley as the Prince of Wands, the racing Lion in that image is quite Green-eyed!

I’m wondering if its possible that Sutton’s account may not be one to be fully discarded though. Is it possible that the pigmentation of AC’s eyes underwent some change after a lifetime of pushing his body to limits that would kill most men?

He was no Genesis P. Orridge but certainly ran the gamut of “body modification” after his own manner!

zardoz
    Participant

From Duquette’s Thoth tarot book under PRINCE OF WANDS p. 178:

” Crowley’s Ascendant was 3 degrees Leo; Consequently he identified strongly with Leo and with the Prince of Wands, who rules 20 degrees Cancer to 20 degrees Leo.

This card is Crowley’s idealized image of himself.”

The Ace of Disks by tradition ” is the signature card of the deck’s creator.”

Anonymous

Hmm, Greenish, I wonder what the ish was.

Thanks Paul. 😀

the_real_simon_iff
    Participant

93, all!

More info on his eye colour: This is from a letter of the Chief of the Police of Palermo, Sicily to the Police Prefect in Rome, Italy. The letter is dated June 6th 1936 and is to be found in the Central State Archive (Archivio Centrale dello Stato) in Rome. Following is my translation of one part of the letter: “We have no photograph of Crowley on record, but we have some details regarding his appearance, which I quote: tall, athletic, rosy face color, brown eyes, bald head with a shock of hair left at the center hairline, shaven beard and moustache, a little scar on the left cheek beneath the zygomatic bone.”

So maybe it was brownish-green or greenish-brown?

Love=Law
    Lutz

nashimiron
    Participant

I believe I have thee answer.

Perhaps Mr Crowley was born without eyes, and throughout his life secretly wore glass eyes. He guided himself about with naturally hightened powers of his third eye which explains his superiority in all things magickal.

Being something of a trickster, he would amuse himself by switching the eyes, often attending parties where he would wait until the guests were suitably intoxicated before switching the eyes so no-one could be quite sure if they had changed colour or if it was the booze playing tricks on their mind.

Proof of this, if proof be needed can be seen in the various photographs of the Beast where he switches between happy Buddha eyes, menacing staring eyes and doleful elderly eyes. 😯

the_real_simon_iff
    Participant

93, all!

The plot thickens:

From „Aleister Crowley: The Black Magician“ by C.R.Cammell, The Richards Press 1951

[…] I noted at once an error of detail in Viola’s (Viola Bankes) portrait of Crowley: she had described him as having „glittering green eyes“. I saw that his eyes were not green at all, but „of the colour of horn“, as Vasari describes the eyes of Michelangelo Buonarroti, a sort of yellowish-brown. What did strike me about his eyes was that they were unusually round – the roundest eyes I have ever seen, and that he employed habitually the hypnotic gaze of the practised occultist, using it much too frequently for a major effect. His right eye was appreciably larger than the left. His eyebrows were rather long and were curled up at the outer corners – the inly suspicion of theatrical effect about his appearance. […]

I will keep checking and keep you informed. Anyway, did anyone ever hear of colour photographs of AC? I mean, those were available since the 30ies, so why not?

Love=Law
    Lutz

Caradoc
    Participant
    "nashimiron" wrote:
    Being something of a trickster, he would amuse himself by switching the eyes … Proof of this … can be seen in the various photographs of the Beast where he switches between happy Buddha eyes, menacing staring eyes and doleful elderly eyes.
    "C R Cammell" wrote:
    What did strike me about his eyes was that they were unusually round … His right eye was appreciably larger than the left. His eyebrows were rather long and were curled up at the outer corners…

Crowley’s starting to sound like the bastard son of Wurzel Gummidge and Patrick Moore 😯

Aaaanyway… My eyes change colour quite often, sometimes blue and sometimes green. Looking at old photographs of myself my ‘average’ eye colour seems to be shifting slightly from green to blue over the years. Currently my average colour is a slightly bluer turquoise but still that varies throughout the week.

Perhaps Crowley’s eyes were similar. I have no reason to think I’m unique as my friends’ eyes also change colour regulary within a certain limit.

enki_carbone
    Participant

Hazel it is then.

I have the same eyes btw… mostly brown but green towards the center.
    In sunlight they’ve been described as copper colored, and sometimes they look quite green to me. Others have said they are deeper brownish gold.

I’ve been thinking that pupil dilation could play a large part of why if there was more color towards the center of the eye, that part wouldn’t commonly be seen frequently… and for that reason, the description of ‘brown eyes’ would be the most common, if something were to have… you know, dialated his eyes on a regular basis. 😛

Dr. S. DMontford
    Participant

Green / Hazel eyes
    Thanks for the passports details – I knew they has to be somewhere !

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged-in to reply to this topic.