Home Forums Thelema Magick Must K&C invariably lead the aspirant towards the crossing of the Abyss?

• This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Shiva 8 months ago.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

cf93
    Participant

CS,CF;93

First off, I apologize if this question has already been answered, as I’m sure there have been plenty before me. However, I couldn’t find any topics dealing with the question when searching, so here it goes:

Being a practitioner for most of my life, and a Thelemic initiate for about six years, finally getting around to properly reading Liber ABA (as opposed to just looking up the chapters, bits and pieces a given situation requires) seems to be in order. I’ve taken for granted for years that K&C of the HGA would lead the aspirant towards her or his own unique destination by way of their own unique path, and I thought only A.’.A.’. aspirants were sure to move on towards their oathbound goal of crossing the Abyss, while a practitioner having attained K&C outside of the A.’.A.’. might move onwards to a different task altogether.

Now, reading ABA properly for the first time, I’m doubting this perception for the first time. Have I been naive to assume the individual True Will may vary in this regard, seeing as “to will anything but the supreme thing, is to wander still further from it — any will but that to give up the self to the Beloved is Black Magick”?

Thank you for reading,

93 93/93

-R

ignant666
    Participant

AC certainly says this several times, but then he says a lot of things. To take an analogy from a favorite sport of AC’s, there are a lot of books that can teach you a lot about rock-climbing, but none of them can teach you as much as climbing some rocks. It may also be that the rock-climbing books may give new insights when read after some real-world experience with rocks.

DWTW; remember the “thou” part.

dom
    Participant

@cf93
    Depends what you mean by ” K&C of the HGA”.

How are you defining that?

strider
    Participant

This is an interesting question. As per my understanding, this is where the so-called “Left Hand Path” of Western esotericism parts ways from Crowley and the “Great White Brotherhood.” That is, this holding on to the individual self without the unconditional surrender of everything on crossing the Abyss. My limited readings on this indicate that this holding on and “building up” of the individual “god within” is characteristic of groups like Aquino’s Temple of Set. I’d be interested to hear more about this from someone better informed about such groups, as second-hand information usually leads to distortions.

Shiva
    Participant

cf: Have I been naive to assume the individual True Will may vary in this regard, seeing as “to will anything but the supreme thing, is to wander still further from it — any will but that to give up the self to the Beloved is Black Magick”?

It is always naive to assume (anything). We try to deal in experience, not assumptions. “Assuming” leads from the known to the unknown. It is similar to (if not the same as) belief.

As for the rest of your transmission: Only those who go for broke make it all the way This applies to A.’.A.’. as well as any other path. There is only one spectrum of consciousness, and A.’.A.’. is but one curriculum that attempts to reflect the passage through that spectrum. In its favor, the A.’.A.’. methodology appears to be the most practical (“how to do it”) system. However, ALL systems fail in the long run, because nobody has developed a sure-fire technique for the final step, which is “liberation,” which is the permanent cessation of the mind. Temporary escape? … Oh, yes!

Personally, I would view Black Magic as a deliberate act, but (yes) you’re right in that any “wil”l but that to give up the self to the Beloved is Black Magick, if you assume “Black” to be associated with self-gratification.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged-in to reply to this topic.