Home Forums Thelema Thelema Obligatory content in film (-trailer) about AC

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author

wellreadwellbred
    Participant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0noLSc_3fI – All is Well – a new concert by Rob Gardner

The above web address leads to the film trailer for a film about Joseph Smith (1805-1844), the founding prophet of the Mormon church.

First question to all: What episodes from his life, should be part of a film trailer for a film about, Aleister Crowley (1875–1947), the founding prophet of the Thelema associated with him.

Second question to all: What parts of Aleister Crowley’s life should be included in such a film?

dom
    Participant

I doubt that Smith found any golden tablets.

belmurru
    Participant

In order to write a compelling screenplay, you have to pick a theme or overarching thread that weaves through the events of his life or a longer period of his life. “Prophet of Thelema” is too obvious and would lead to controversy, and would probably come off as hagiography.

I’d pick his love affair with Pollitt, which haunted him long after it ended, and can be woven into many other of the more canonical events of his life. Plus you get to use the late-Victorian plushness that movies like the Stephen Fry “Oscar Wilde” showcased so exuberantly, as well as having scenes with more famous names like Aubrey Beardsley, who never gets his cinematic due, and W.B. Yeats, as well as other Golden Dawn luminaries.

Opens with childhood, death of father, scenes illustrating his puritanical upbringing and rebelliousness, the famous Roman candle episode, his early mountaineering, his uncle’s liberating influence… Act Two is Cambridge life, then his Stockholm experience with the Scotsman (businessman, forget his name for the moment), which opens him up to his homosexual side. The meeting with the bohemians and Pollitt, and his life as Pollitt’s “wife.” A scene with Beardsley surrounded by his drawings.

Weave his reading, alchemy and mysticism, his breakup with Pollitt, and the GD in here.

Then Act Three is wherever you want to take it, which will be hard with so much material. Should stay close to the intimate, the power of forbidden and not so forbidden sexuality.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 3 days ago by  belmurru.

mal
    Participant

With such a varied and full life a series structured like The Crown might work better with seasons in chronological order through various periods of his life
    Season 1 could cover something like his birth to the reception of AL.

Trailer should include, romance, mystery and danger. Plenty of that to be found.

What parts of his life? All of it!

dom
    Participant

There has to be a scene with his mother when he was a child calling him “The Beast” and the isolation and breakdown in the brutal public school. This exemplifies his early simmering hatred of organized Christianity and lifelong commitment to rebellion. I would exemplify the childhood of Victorian privilege and would also emphasise his early aspirations to be a poet (how could you leave that out?) maybe represented by him watching Yeats (‘in black bilious rage’) reading one of his poems at his apartment. I would put the incident of painting DWTW on the cliff’s edge in the USA, drug usage and the crazy John Bull witch hunt regarding the events in Cefalu. Much more actually. It’s a good question as your average trailer is what? Three minutes?

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 3 days ago by  dom.
    • This reply was modified 3 weeks, 3 days ago by  dom.

ignant666
    Participant

Cinema enables us to fit in a lot of information very fast:

VOICEOVER: I am of course an English gentleman of a very traditional and conservative sort…

[montage: AC injects heroin/is sodomized in an alley/ejaculates on Abramelin talisman/raises lance over supine nude priestess/walks through a chic Paris cafe with the Oscar Wilde bronze butterfly codpiece]

dom
    Participant

[montage: AC injects heroin/is sodomized in an alley/ejaculates on Abramelin talisman/raises lance over supine nude priestess/walks through a chic Paris cafe with the Oscar Wilde bronze butterfly codpiece]

There goes the PG rating then.

Tiger
    Participant

I might start with the worldlings mucking about with their gods;
    And The Secret Chiefs making a decision to help attributed selfhoods chart a different course.
    Oh and then would have to work Baphomet into it.

ignant666
    Participant

There goes the PG rating then.

I think any remotely accurate film about AC’s life, however much one might euphemize and skirt around things, is going to end up so much beyond X-rated they will have to invent a new system.

Consider- any one one of the following would be enough to get to or beyond “R”:

Daily hard and soft drug use;

Massive tobacco smoking and boozing;

Frequent and baroque sex acts with persons of all races, genders, and social conditions (often with more than one person at a time);

Incurring debts he had no intention or means of paying;

Blasphemy against the Baby Jeesus as a religion.

This is AC’s average week. Not much chance of a PG here.

Tiger
    Participant

it would have to be viewed

under the section 666 rated
    go blimey
    regulation requirement
    viewing
    app

christibrany
    Participant

@iggy
    What is a baroque sex act?

Does it have to be performed wearing fancy accessories in a lace and velvet strewn room to harpsichord?

Asking for…myself. lol

I think that was a good montage choice. Titilates the viewer.

I think the film would be about 2 hours long, perhaps 2.5 and cover the following events with perhaps flashbacks and fast forwards/imagniations thrown in to speed it up:

1. Birth, friendship to Uncle and boyhood tomfoolery, religious indoctrination and rebellion
    2. University days and climbing
    3. Intro to Golden Dawn, travelling,
    4. Marriage to Rose, Liber AL, founding the AA
    5. Meeting Spare and other disciples, Newberg /Neuberg? Neuburg? and great magckical workings, Tunisia, China etc
    6. Slow descent into poverty, addiction, hotel to hotel while still remaining fairly sharp and writing
    7. Old age in Hastings, Kenneth Grant and DEATH

What did I miss?

If you allot half an hour to each you got a full film. 3.5 hours lol If a bit rushed…. It would need some SPECIAL kind of editing.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by  christibrany.

christibrany
    Participant

I skipped the courtroom stuff bc most people find that kind of thing boring? Plus it would add way too much… Maybe you could allude to it.

Oh I didn’t mention the States either. Have to put that in there.

What a bloody long film. Maybe they would make it a two parter? Like Lord of the Rings style…

Jamie J Barter
    Participant

6. Slow descent into poverty, addiction, hotel to hotel while still remaining fairly sharp and writing

But the 6th instalment by itself would disproportionately cover about 31 years, from c. 1914 (the onset of the Great War, post-Equinox Volume I when AC went to America and his money ran out) up to 1945…!

What did I miss?

How about the inevitable voiceover, in sinister tones beginning: “He called himself The Great Beast 666 — and so did all his detractors!”?

Norma N Joy Conquest

christibrany
    Participant

@Jamie

It was kind of twaddle but I liked the Great Beast 666 docu, if only for the actor pretending to be him, and the deep scary voiceover.

Shiva
    Participant

Ig: … so much beyond X-rated they will have to invent a new system

It’s known as “Z,” the last letter in the English AlphaBeta, which stands for “Zero,” and it means it’s so horrible that no one can watch it.

T: … under the section 666 rated [carriage return] go blimey

Blimey will not handle it. Bad karma. Disney is interested, though.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged-in to reply to this topic.