Home Forums Thelemic Culture and Crowley in the Media Recommendations Our favourite comedy (movie clips, stand-up etc).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author

dom
    Participant

What’s your favourite comedy (movie clips, stand-up, scenes from TV series etc)?

I’ll start off with this short movie where Laurel visits Hardy in hospital.

This next clip (the two Ronnies) is considered to be a comedy classic. It should translate over the Atlantic. Acting is brilliant in both clips.

• This topic was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by  dom.

dom
    Participant

Unbelievable this next clip. You may recognise Rowan “Mr Bean” Atkinson before international fame struck;

lashtal
    Keymaster

Bill Hicks.

Monty Python’s Life of Brian.

dom
    Participant

Bill Hicks.

Yes, “Ah Vanilla , back again..” and MC Hammer.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by  dom.

elitemachinery
    Participant

Ed Bassmaster:

dom
    Participant

The age of the youtube prank. “6 foot ‘gator” haha.

The “ptshhhh” ha these pranks look genuine. A lot of pranks use actors which should be a crime. That rap is great.

Michael Staley
    Participant

My favourite joke is by Bob Monkhouse. Unfortunately I can’t find a clip, but here it is:

“People used to laugh at me when I said I wanted to be a comedian. Well, they’re not laughing now.”

Not forgetting another of his:

“I’d like to die like my old dad, peacefully in his sleep, not screaming like his passengers.”

dom
    Participant

Yeah Monkhouse can be good. There’s a live concert on youtube. Two brilliant jokes in it 1) when he introduces the band and says “—– is the leader of the band…he’s four bars ahead of everyone else.”..something like that. and 2) “Are you having a good time?!! Inform your face!!” Just brilliant. Actually 1) it’s 7m40s here;

Must admit he veers towards offensiveness now and again in that show.

ignant666
    Participant

Most of what i like will be very familiar (Spinal Tap, Monty Python, Bonzo Dog Band, Richard Pryor), but here are two things from American acid-surrealist comedy group The Firesign Theatre, first their AC shout-out, “Duke Of Madness Motors” from the Dear Friends compilation of their radio shows, and then side A of their New-Age/saucer-cult/Don Juan send-up Everything You Know Is Wrong.

christibrany
    Participant

I think Monty Python’s Flying Circus is far superior to their feature films, definitely a favourite.

For stand up we have a radio station here that plays nothing but that so I have discovered some I like, Jimmy Carr, Patton Oswalt and a few others.

elitemachinery
    Participant

Rodney Dangerfield:

Steven Wright:

Repo Man:

christibrany
    Participant

I still need to (re)watch repo man. When I saw it I was young and under the influence. 😐 I know it was funny. But that’s all I know.

ignant666
    Participant

Rodney Dangerfield bit slays but does not include his two best, probably “too blue for the room” as they say:

“I got no luck, i went into one of them massage parlors… It was self-service!”

“I get no respect in the home. My daughter saw me naked, walked in on me in the shower. She said ‘Daddy, it’s just like a penis, only smaller!'”

I wish i could find a clip of the classic Richard Pryor “A white dude gave me some acid once” routine. He did it it on Saturday Night Live in 1975, but all i can find is a weirdly colored version, or just audio, sans facial expressions, flapping arms etc. which loses most of the bit.

And here, in its entirety, is episode one, season one, of America’s finest country music ‘n’ corny jokes revue: yes, i mean Hee-Haw. Be sure to catch series host Buck Owens (yes, that Buck Owens, along with co-host yes, that Roy Clark) tear shit up on his country-fuzztone classic “Who’s Gonna Mow Your Grass?” at 50:01, but all cleaned up with no nasty fuzz to upset the TV audience)

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by  ignant666.
    • This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by  ignant666.

christibrany
    Participant

Eddie Murphy is great too. And speakin’ of ‘brothers’ Red Foxx too

XD
    ‘If you can’t beat ’em F*CK ’em’ lol

Bedazzled
    Participant

Chris Morris, Jam. Sometimes more video art installation than comedy sketch, the influence of his ‘aesthetic’ on a tv programming/ advertising world attempting to be edgy has been huge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jux-Zi-IucU&t=209s

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by  Bedazzled.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged-in to reply to this topic.