Home Forums Thelemic Culture and Crowley in the Media Recommendations Our favourite comedy (movie clips, stand-up etc).

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author

Alan_OBrien
    Participant

In the Laurel & Hardy film County Hospital, which is linked to above, there is a joke that I think I don’t get.

Stan brings Ollie hard boiled eggs and nuts. Ollie seems to think that these two items are particularly ridiculous, and he remarks on them several times.

The way I understand it is simply that the various shells might slip inside his plaster cast. Is there more to it than that?

I have a feeling that there might be something 1930s and American that I am missing.

Tiger
    Participant

if only we chopped off a few heads things would be alright

Tiger
    Participant

if you had a 10 day week people would no longer know what sundays meant any more

Tiger
    Participant

that was quotes from movie above

Tiger
    Participant

Jacque Fresco – ‘Free’ Society, Planned Obsolescence, Cultural Artificiality

ignant666
    Participant

Tiger has a different idea of comedy than some.

Back when i was among the professoriate, i used to call my teaching style “stand-up tragedy”.

dom
    Participant

Any Yorkshire men here?

dom
    Participant

This should translate cross Atlantic.

ignant666
    Participant

While i am no fan of the band whose secret name is said to be the “Rear-Entry Men” (aka “The American Smiths”), that video translated less well to this Yankee than the Yorkshire Airlines ad. This ad could easily be about any southern or New England state with minor changes,and a new narrator.

You (david) should watch the Hee-Haw episode i posted above for the US version of this sort of redneck/country humor (plus bad puns in the US case).

Here is an old family favorite, “No News: Or What Killed The Dog”. We used to listen to this on a scratchy old 78 record, but here it is with cleaned up audio:

dom
    Participant

You (david) should watch the Hee-Haw episode i posted above for the US version of this sort of redneck/country humor (plus bad puns in the US case).

I watched bits of it. There’s only so much bluegrass/country music I can take. Not really my cup of tea humour-wise. The Clampet’s series yes, very funny.

Did you find the Yorkshire man excerpts amusing?

Richard Pryor amazing. That part of the standup show where he impersonates the white couple coming back from the intermission to find a big tall black guy sitting in their seat haha brilliant.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by  dom.
    • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by  dom.

Jamie J Barter
    Participant

David/Dom now demonstrating he still maintains a sense of humour — now that’s funny! Hee haw? Haha ha !

(Jest yanking!)
    N Joy

ignant666
    Participant

Since david mentions The Clampets [sic- the name’s Clampett, son!] which i assume means The Beverly Hillbillies (perhaps it was re-titled in the UK?), here is the theme song from Green Acres, a show that was a spin-off from Beverly Hillbillies spin-off Petticoat Junction. They spun ’em hard in them days.

Green Acres might be about my life: a couple composed of an All-American middle-aged lawyer (me) married to an exotic foreign woman with a heavy accent (the wife), move from NYC to Hicksville, USA. Comedy ensues (perhaps less so in real life).

Actually we did not live on Park Avenue. And of course it was actually the wife’s idea to move out of the city, but you get the idea.

All three shows (The Beverly Hillbillies, Petticoat Junction, and Green Acres) were cancelled in the “rural purge” of “hick” comedies in 1971. I was very sad; thankfully they lived on in re-runs for many years.

Hee-Haw also got axed from network TV in the ’71 “rural purge”, but immediately went into syndication (since it had not just comedy but the country music david does not dig yet because he is still a square), with new shows appearing til… 1997.

dom
    Participant

The Beverly Hillbillies jesus apologies, been a long time since it was aired. Reruns are probably banned in the UK also..

dom
    Participant

Hey look what I found. Kotter, alright!

wellreadwellbred
    Participant

I like James Adomian’s parodies of Sebastian Gorka, sounds much like him:

“Chapo Trap House – Gorka phone call”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbQx0NTV4TU

“Chapo Trap House – Gorka Phone Call II”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USdINAnBf0U

“Chapo Trap House – Gorka Phone Call #3”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0mQzTDDD8w&list=PLky3iiRPpSdhpiWvT9jrcPIxTqK1kqV5O&index=5

“Sebastian Gorka (James Adomian) PROJECT GORKA!!!” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nglVo9rj2Nk&list=PLky3iiRPpSdhpiWvT9jrcPIxTqK1kqV5O

“SEBASTIAN GORKA ON THE RUN!!! (James Adomian)”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1_Rx_wpcG4

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged-in to reply to this topic.