• This topic contains 95 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  Shiva 3 weeks ago.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 95 total)
  • Author

Tiger
    Participant

Another Master and another favorite – Ritchie Blackmore

Ian Anderson on Ritchie Blackmore
    “ .”he is measured he is thoughtful
    he knows the value of clear space,
    like the daylight between the notes;
    it’s not all about blah blah blah
    it’s about phrasing it’s about time. The spaces are just as important as the notes they separate .”

Tiger
    Participant

The Certified Stamped and Confirmed Yes Man Short hair do look

Tiger
    Participant

The Creepy Line
    Coming to the Google Facebook Channel in front of you .

WildWitch
    Participant

I just saw “The Nun”. This film is a horror film about a Nun who is driven to suicide by a secret in the Nun’s Cloister. The suicide is investigated. But when the suicide is investigated, chaos ensues. A ghost of the Nun appears in strange places. One of the investigators ends up being buried alive. Another investigator ends up being possessed by a “malevolent” spirit. There’s a lot to like about the film, especially if you’re a fan of TV programmes such as Buffy the Vampire Slayer and/or a fan of “The Conjuring” films. There are elements in Buffy the Vampire Slayer which are prevalent in The Nun and The Nun is intended to be a prequel to The Conjuring films. But there’s also a lot to dislike about The Nun. There’s way to many “jump scares”. On a scale of 1 to 10, I’ll give The Nun a 6 overall.

christibrany
    Participant

I really wanted to see The Nun, because I thought Conjuring 2 was absolutely brilliant (the first one too); however, after reading the reviews and checking out the first few minutes online I knew it wasn’t worth my money. Usually I don’t trust reviews too much but when not just critics but regular folk are giving it terrible marks I just don’t see the point in forking over like 15$ or whatever it is these days. Bummer…

WildWitch
    Participant

Christbrany:

The Nun is really a lot better than the film reviewers have stated. The only connection between The Nun and The Conjuring is the sequence at the very end of The Conjuring 2 in which the portrait from the young girl reveals a “demon”. The “demon” is the Nun. The Nun can really stand on its own.

Falcon
    Participant

Night of the Demon (1957) is a masterpiece and the character Dr. Julian Karswell is said to be based on A.C.

There have also been TV versions of Casting the Runes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v2OpMxYklQ

WildWitch
    Participant

I’s nice to see people expressing an interest in the “old” horror films such as the “Night of the Demon”. Does anyone have an interest in the old “Hammer” horror films? I have an interest in the old “Hammer” horror films. I always thought that Christopher Lee portrayed Dracula better than any other actor. What do you think?

Falcon
    Participant

@wildwitch it appears that you and I have a similar tastes and interests in “old” horror films. I too thought Sir Christopher Lee portrayed Dracula well and have “The Satanic Rites of Dracula” on DVD (He also had an interest in the occult and owned several books on the subject). I also have several Mummy and Wolfman/Werewolf films.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  Falcon.

Falcon
    Participant

THE KEEP (1983) is an interesting Second World War Horror film. German soldiers encounter a demonic entity in the Carpathian mountains of Romania…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAVjEURN0JU

WildWitch
    Participant

Falcon:

I did not know that Sir Lee had been Knighted. Do you know exactly when he was Knighted?

Falcon
    Participant

@wildwitch He was knighted in October 2009 by Prince Charles:

Falcon
    Participant

Just discovered “Strange Paradise” on YouTube described as an “Occult opera”.

A man attempts to bring back his wife from the dead…

WildWitch
    Participant

I just saw “Venom” This film is intended to be an adaption of the series of comic books of the same name. This film has been quite maligned by “professional” film reviewers. The reviewers have asserted that the film is too far removed from the series of comic books. But the film has still been received quite well by moviegoers. The film has allocated over 80 million dollars from moviegoers since the film’s release in American theaters on 5 October, 2018. The story for the film concerns a reporter who discovers a conspiracy and ends up being “possessed” by a “parasite” from another planet. (The “parasite” is the “Venom”.) The reporter is portrayed quite well by Tom Hardy. (Some of my readers might know Tom Hardy from his role as “Bane” in the film “The Dark Knight Rises”. “Bane” is one of my all time favourite movie villains.) I know little about the “Venom” series of comic books. But as far as I know now, the PG-13 rated film should’ve been made to be R rated because the series of comic books tends toward the gruesome. The dialog between the reporter and the “parasite” is quite amusing. There are a lot of exchanges of sarcastic quips and barbs. And the SGI effects are produced well. The film may not work very well as an adaption of the series of comic books, but the film works quite well as a “run of the mill” Sci-Fi” film. On a scale of 1 to 10, I’ll give the film a 6 overall.

christibrany
    Participant

RE Hammer Films: Twins of Evil was good (oo la la) , so was Satanic Rites of Dracula.

I also enjoyed Night of the Demon (got turned onto it thanks to a sample in Lustmord).

RE The Keep, I have not seen it but I did read the novel it was based on. I got it at a used book shop bc any cheap fiction with monsters and nazi’s is usually entertaining. It is so, but no masterpiece of course.

Last film I saw was last weekend at home: Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence. About English POWs in a WW2 Japanese camp situated somewhere in south east Asia. It was quite good. Good role by Bowie too.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 95 total)
  • You must be logged-in to reply to this topic.