Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 82 total)
  • Author

Falcon
    Participant

@christibrany I have Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence on DVD, have also watched The Man Who Fell To Earth. I used to have a comic book on a similar theme to The Keep – Vampires and Nazis.

@sonofthoth Yes, Kenneth Anger is a genius.

Falcon
    Participant

Falcon
    Participant

Falcon
    Participant

The Black Cat (1934) starring Bela Lugosi and Boris Karloff in a tale of Satanism in Central Europe
    is one of my favourites of classic cinema.

Tiger
    Participant

“Now a days we are all aware of of unseen powers
    that make the world work
    and manipulate human beings

apart from neutrons, protons, electrical charges
    we also have
    viruses , the cilia, microbes .

the people of John Dee’s days couldn’t see these things
    they had an inkling
    and talked in terms of demons spirits and angels
    as having a direct role in their lives
    there was no controversial issue about wether they existed
    they were part of the awareness understanding the universe

and it would almost appear slightly cracked if you couldn’t conceive their existence .

in the 16th century everyone saw angels and demons having a direct role in their live
    and if you didn’t see them they thought you were probably cracked “

Tiger
    Participant

Magic: Art of Darkness

WildWitch
    Participant

There are quite a lot of good, old horror films which I haven’t seen mentioned yet, so I thought I’d take the liberty of giving mention to some of these films.

1)”Freaks” This film is definitely a “highly unusual attraction” as stated in the opening sequence. This film was banned in many nations when the film was new. And according to Marilyn Manson, Anton Szandor LaVey was influential in getting the film re-released to American theaters during the 1960’s.

2)”Island of Lost Souls” As far as I know, this film was the first adaption of H.G. Wells novel “The Island of Dr. Moreau” (Incidentally,I’ve heard that Wells was a member of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn.)

3)”Basket Case” This film is definitely one of the very best “B” horror films ever made. This film tells the story of Siamese twin brothers, one brother born “normal”, the other born “mutated”. The twins are separated medically in an “ad hoc” procedure and then go on a “seek and destroy” mission toward those responsible for the procedure.

4)”The Last Man on Earth” As far as I know, this film was the first adaption of Richard Matheson’s novel “I am Legend”. This particular film would be viewed well with George A. Romero’s film “Night of the Living Dead”. (“Night of the Living Dead” to be viewed first, “The Last Man on Earth” to be viewed thereafter.)

I highly recommend these great “golden oldies” for your viewing pleasure. Enjoy!

dom
    Participant

Basket Case , I’ve seen it it’s crazy.

Falcon
    Participant

I have “Island of Lost Souls” on DVD (interesting if Wells was an initiate of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn).

Falcon
    Participant

Falcon
    Participant

WildWitch
    Participant

Somebody (I can’t recall who) told me that the film “White Zombie” inspired George Romero to make “Night of the Living Dead”.

Jamie J Barter
    Participant

I’m going to be so bold as to venture that I’m quite certain that you’ll find this little gem of a film stimulating & entertaining & just over a half hour of your time most profitably invested. (How’s that!?) It’s made in Spanish, but don’t let that put you off as I’m also sure you’ll be more than capable of intuiting what small amount of dialogue there is, just as with a silent film.

The first time I encountered it was as a youngster in the small quiet hours of the morning after midnight, home alone in the house and with everything in a state of stillness outside – which I recommend as the ideal setting in which for you to maximise your viewing pleasure. For about 40 years afterwards, whenever I brought it up nobody else said they could ever remember having seen it, and I was beginning to wonder if I imagined it myself until I came across it a while ago on youtube.

The first half begins with an experience familiar to all of us at some point, of getting trapped in an enclosed space – in this case, what was at the time it was made, a modern telephone box which had glass on all four sides though no apparent sign of a door on any of them. The treatment of the poor individual in his predicament at the start is almost Chaplinesque in its humour, and eventually the engineers are summoned who then decide that as they can’t seem to open it themselves, they’d better take it back to the depot to get some more professional assistance.

All well and good! So far, except that the originally light-hearted mood becomes increasingly darker and more nightmarish as the day draws on, and the trip seems to be taking a very long time to complete… But before that, although our ‘hero’ is miserably and wearily resigned to his fate of everyone pointing at him like a caged animal at the zoo, he only begins to get a bit ‘freaked out’ when he sees another lorry pull up next to him with another telephone box on it and another person like himself stuck inside. However as the lorries pull away they get separated, day passes inexorably into surrealistic gloaming and finally the lorry arrives at its depot where — well, no spoilers! you will just have to watch it yourself to find out, won’t you?

After watching it you might ask yourself, as I did, what could it possibly mean, what it might have represented… I would be fascinated to read of any thoughts from anyone, if you happen to come up with something! (appropriately ‘alerted’ of course)

Norma N Joy Conquest

Falcon
    Participant

Falcon
    Participant

Anton LaVey appeared in a cameo role as Satan in “Rosemary’s Baby”.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 82 total)
  • You must be logged-in to reply to this topic.